Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

If you want loving stupid up and down prices of Toyota 80 series, take a gander at the covid tax on HDJ80's here in Australia at the moment...

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/toyota/landcruiser/hdj80r-series/suv-bodystyle/

Or the HDJ100's...

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/toyota/landcruiser/hdj100r-series/suv-bodystyle/?sort=Price

Keep in mind, in 2006 a GXL HDJ100 landcruiser would cost you $72K drive away. Shits insane. Even FZJ80 prices are stupid, and they're the well beaten red headed step child of the landcruiser world nobody wants!

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/toyota/landcruiser/fzj80r-series/suv-bodystyle/?sort=Price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm never gonna get a 1HD-FTE and H151 to drop into my FJ45, am I? :smithicide:

I saw an FTE engine, Just the engine, no loom, no pedal, no box, no computers, go on sale the other day asking $20K.... I rebuilt my engine when i hurt it because a low km drop in replacement was $12-15K

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

If the gear is dead its or its neighbors bearings are dead meaning you're digging into this sucker.
I don't know this engine, hopefully it has a gear cover like most rationally built engines that exposes the entire geartrain when removed.

It’s probably cheaper to get an entire 1FZ engine than the parts to replace the front timing gear assembly!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

What about a 2F-TE :heysexy:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

They were still using those vents up till 2006 in the 70 series here in Australia, and knowing Toyota, they’re still the same drat part as the 60’s used, so you could probably find some good ones from someone who’s bought a HDJ79 wreck for the FTE in it and wants to move em on for beer money and postage.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Those Dayco gold label belts were the absolute poo poo when I still had the old 2.8D in the hilux. Bout one of the only ones that didn’t stretch like a bastard non stop and squeal like a pig being molested due to the design decision of Toyota putting the vacuum pump on the back of the alternator and then sharing that drive with a mechanical fan…

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Oh they pulled that poo poo on the leaf too did they? The Tiida/Versa has the strut under plenum design as well. Step one of removing a strut should never be “Remove windscreen wipers”

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Front diff on my Hilux has looked that way for about 400K kms, same with my mates 80 series- probably been like that for nearly 500K kms now and it hasnt hurt them at all.

Seems to be missing a locker though...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

If my experience with the Denso filters for the landcruiser is anything, it will blow anything else out of the water. The genuine Denso filters for the cruiser contain nearly 80% MORE filter material by surface area than a Donaldson or Baldwin!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Wow the inside between that Denso filter for the mazda is NOTHING like what the denso filter (Factory Toyota- That might be a difference?) for the Landcruiser diesels are like.

Crack one of those open and its separated into two halves- a full flow and a bypass section:

Top-

and Bottom-

That bottom winding is close to 5 meters long!

For comparison sake, this is the Donaldson replacement for the genuine:

Theres probably a reason the genuine filters are close to $50 a pop! But that could also be Australia tax. Its also the reason why those filters are black and oil soaked rather than nice and clean- I wasnt going to cut open hundreds of bucks worth of filters to compare em without running them first!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Huh, so it was the change from the 60 to the 80 that Toyota moved the crossmember and mount to the transfer case then!

Although with how much the HF2A transfer weighs, I’m not surprised that it’s part of the supported member- would easily be 50kg without the driveshafts on it and hanging that off the back of an alloy casting just floating is probably a recipe for longevity problems

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah when I did the 4.7:1 reduction gears in the transfer of my Hilux I hogged material out with a diamond wheel in a grinder to make them fit. Even then it was rough.

And funny- I’ve got a HF2A transfer from a HDJ100 blown apart on my work bench getting bearings and seals before going into my mates truck and man those parts are big, heavy and expensive.

With the breathers too- the stock setup on my 100 series is the transfer and gearbox breathers are reed together and run up to the back of the head- might be worth running both of yours together to somewhere in the engine bay for peace of mind

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

I’m sure Toyota saved $0.25 by having two different parts.

Installation is reverse of removal.

They did the same thing with the transfer cases on the 100’s- the manual transfers have a synchro assembly between low and high range so you can move off with a big load in low range so you don’t trash your clutch, then once your moving shift up into high by just popping the clutch.

The auto transfers don’t have that part because you need to have the auto in neutral to shift the transfer so it’s unloaded. I didn’t know this before I got my hands on an auto transfer to overhaul until I tried to shift on the fly and horrible gear noises erupted from under the floor.

It’s like $2.50 worth of parts to add the synchro, but I have to drop and split the transfer to put it in…

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

If you werent unhappy with the idea of a rear wheel carrier i'd just use this as an excuse to fit a 150L long rage fuel tank....
https://longrangeautomotive.com.au/...9RxNV19wMTAxMTE

But im also a bad influence and have an aversion to fuel stations. Mostly for drat good reason...

That hurt at 17L/100 towing...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

The gearbox on my tractor looked waaaaaaay worse than that and i just drained the swamp out of it, filled it with diesel, drove it round for 5 mins to wash the casings out of water/oil emulsion and then filled it with gear oil and sent it.

its not really a high speed vehicle though

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

I’ve also pulled the fan clutch; I need to figure out a way to make it as solid as possible. Maybe fill it full of gear lube, possibly just go straight to epoxy? I know it won’t provide a *lot* of cooling without the radiator connected, but it seems like even a degree or two will be worth having a fan.

Put it in a vice, drill a 6mm hole clean through it towards the centre and run an M6 bolt and nylock bolt into it. Will lock the inner and outer sections together and make it a solid coupling for not much.

I've had to do that with tek screws to the fan clutch on a Massey Ferguson when it failed and the tractor couldnt run without overheating

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Your not really trying unless you accidentally set your work bench on fire with the welder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

SpeedFreek posted:

Don't forget the UV burns on the sliver of exposed skin, or entire forearm/thigh.

Lit my clothes on fire more than once, I turn them into rags before they get that tattered now.

My uncle managed to get UV burns on his scrotum from welding in a set of football shorts commando… that was an unpleasant experience from reports.