Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Advent Horizon posted:

The achilles heal of these engines are the crank seals, one on each side. When they die the engine will idle but starve for fuel and oil at higher RPM. Seeing as I didn’t want to *really* kill it, I set about trying to fix things.
The RD200 I briefly had suffered from this same fate twice, usually they are installed incorrectly is what I was told by someone I know who worked for Yamaha in the 70s. Unfortunately before I was able to find pistons for it my dad sold it for $20 because, "It doesn't run so thats all its worth." -the guy who bought it. Hearing the part about how she forgot how to shift so she just held it open brought back painful memories.

Be careful with those old phillips screws on there, they are made out of cheese or something equally as soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I just bought a press too and I'm itching for another excuse to use it. I'll try to learn from your mistake and only use it on things that are supposed to be pressed.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Advent Horizon posted:

It’s 100% not necessary.

When has that stopped anyone here?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I ordered custom cut seat foam from https://www.thefoamfactory.com/ for my golf cart, they sell the latex foam too.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
My greenhouses do the same thing in the winter, the choice is run a ton of fans 24/7 running up the electric bill to new and exciting highs or wait until its warmer out. I leave the doors at least partially open unless I'm expecting some crazy winds.

Based on the little I know about your area you're screwed. My new goto solution to storage is get a shipping container, I'm wondering what the condensation would be like inside of one of those in your rainforest humidity.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
You sure those jackstands can handle that weight

Advent Horizon posted:

As I sit here ‘testing’ the new speakers, I’m realizing that now I need to do speakers in the Leaf too. Dammit.
Part of why I'm dragging my feet on replacing the blown speaker in one of my cars, then I'll have to get new speakers for everything.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Doing god's work chopping up all these filters. I've run Wixeses for a long while now but I think I may jump ship to Bosch after seeing all your stuff. They're like half the drat price of the equivalent Wix.

Same, I remember years back seeing something like this and Fram was the worst filter they cut apart by far. I'm going to look for a tubing cutter after I change my oil tomorrow now, thanks a lot for sidetracking me some more.

I've only ever needed the filter wrench/nut/knipex when its the first oil change I've done on it, looks like that nut would be worthless at jiffy lube levels of oil filter torque.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Is it a common enough vehicle to be able to find a complete replacement line set? It's not a 90s Chevy pickup but there might be something out there.

The only thing I remember about making them yourself is there was usually a good reason the designers used hard lines in some areas and rubber in others.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

honda whisperer posted:

I doubt it's a consideration past can we save a nickle. People put the wrong or lovely gas in all the time. And it's never the manufacturers fault so gently caress em.

They don't even put drain plugs on transmissions, the last car I changed the fluid on that had one was a 62 with a powerglide. The next step beyond is the lifetime fill transmissions without dip sticks.

Then there's the savings of not putting an access hole for the fuel pump, that's a second or third owner problem usually.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
All the non motorcycle fuel tanks I've ever pulled has been to do the fuel pump, all on GM trucks I didn't want to cut an access hole in. I suppose you could bang on the tank hoping it will start spinning again.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I like the compactness of your cart, I made mine to be able to fit a 2nd machine in the future but when I have to travel with it I have regrets.

With a mig it's so drat easy, as long as I don't think I'll need to take it apart anytime soon it's getting welded. Won't fit on the trailer, chop and put it back together later.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Advent Horizon posted:

I really do have two large containers of potatoes growing in the shop. They started sprouting too early and I haven’t had luck in the past with moving them outside after they’ve grown a while.
I have to transition my house plants over the course of a week or they get sunburn or something like that. Try a shade cloth for a while?

quote:

Those transmission gears are borked. There are two others I may ask about but they’re in vehicles so that’s a lot more effort.
Concrete saw? They remove things pretty quick.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Advent Horizon posted:

We have a Fastenal but they aren’t open to the public.

Can't you just go in wearing a work shirt? Say your a contractor from out of town working for the local utility and you're going to pay with a card instead of an account.

I've got away with that in a t shirt and shorts before.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Ace is great if you only need one and it's not something too exotic, if you need more than one McMasters going to be cheaper and show up tomorrow in most places.

Next time I need a lot of hardware I'll make an effort to compare bolt Depot to somewhere that still sells hardware by the pound. Farm and fleet used to run 3.79 a pound for grade 8.

Sucks that you can't just talk your way in to get what you need in a pinch.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Don't forget the UV burns on the sliver of exposed skin, or entire forearm/thigh.

Lit my clothes on fire more than once, I turn them into rags before they get that tattered now.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I still have that harvest gold phone mounted on a post in my basement, haven't had phone service since I bought the place but it's been there so long I don't even notice it's there.

Whatever you get you need a regular one and a red one right next to each other, red one needs some kind of engraved plate above it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I've given up on finding a cheap (10k 70ish hp) skid loader. The same machines I was looking at are now almost double.

If you want another project there are cab kits for a lot of models and adding heat isn't impossible. If you want to run a snow blower like I do high flow hydraulics and 60+hp is where you want to start. Avoid machines that have been used with a jackhammer/machines used to clean up manure. Block heater is probably a really good idea in your area, if it's regularly below 0f think of a heater for the hydraulic fluid and let it run for a while before even thinking about moving the thing.

That's what I remember most from when I was serious about getting one.

STR posted:

I can't really contribute much, except those hours are pretty drat low. Does it have a PTO?

Aux hydraulics, not pto. Hydraulic motors that spin at 540rpm are a thing though.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Living the dream, add a rearview camera to take your maneuverability up to the next level now. You'd be able to parallel park a hay wagon.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Cab and wiper look like a good call for your area. Looks like you're set other than the inevitable hose failure.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Mini ex is a good idea, it will pay for itself with small jobs if you have a trailer for it. Also gently caress digging by hand when you don't have to.

Good luck with the shoulder, I hosed mine up sleeping somehow.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I want to go back to being invincible and healing instantly.

Now getting back to the construction equipment arms race have you seen any d10 dozers at auction lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Have you tried using it yet or still doing the QA on the thing?

Second question is what's next, a tiny dump truck?