Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Advent Horizon posted:

A quick good news/bad news update before we pause everything for the holidays:

I got that transfer case put back together for shipping:

No ‘spare’ parts! This was really good practice for the one I’ll be doing in a month or two with new parts.

We also pulled out and sorted everything else we’re hoping to sell south. I have some oddball stuff like an FJ55 parking brake, PTO winch, Fairey Overdrive…All stuff that long ago had plans, but plans change.

And, lastly, the bad news:

Doc has never even chewed a shoe before. Seat foam plus fabric for just the front seats is over $1,000. Ugh.

Can you somehow drive that down to like that and get it reupholstered? I have to think it'd be cheaper to have a shop do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Advent Horizon posted:

The problem is the moisture builds under those sheets. Around here you want a roof up high and lots of air movement around the item you’re trying to keep dry.

I’ve lifted the tent up on pilings but snow filled that gap. I’m going to see if that air gap works at all in the summer before I take it down, but I don’t foresee leaving it up next winter.

Let me put it this way: my firewood is molding rather than seasoning.

OK, bear with me. What about just like a GIANT 20' FAN underneath the truck. If it's big enough you should be able to literally blow any snow or rain back up into the sky.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Advent Horizon posted:

Not a dumb thought at all, that’s why the rules explicitly ban it:

Seems like this permits running your windshield spray nozzles 24/7 with a very large reservoir pointed at your engine.

e: for more of my thinking.

Doesn't trigger A. as it's not radiator.
Doesn't trigger B as it's not heater system.
Doesn't trigger C because it does not increase the maximum amount it can contain which is your dictionary definition of capacity.
(arguably triggers C with the definition of "the amount that something can produce" if you're talking about "heat reduction" being the "thing" a cooling system produces but I would argue they're referring to capacity in the sense of don't add on a huge volume rather than being clever about additional cooling because you are clearly permitted to do things like remove grills which increase "capacity" in the second sense of the word by giving you more airflow)

builds character fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 24, 2022

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Advent Horizon posted:

I’ve been working on little stuff the last week, I’m trying to get ready for a winter of ‘one small thing at a time’. I have some fairly large items I want to do, but seeing as they aren’t interconnected I can break everything up into chunks a lot better than last winter.

One item on the list, before I forget about it, is cleaning up the diesel heater setup. This thing is just an Espar clone in a case with a tank:

One problem is that the hoses are set up such that you can’t remove the tank without cutting the hoses off their barbs. On our big road trip I misread an error and did a full teardown/cleaning of the heater; to remove the heater itself without cutting hoses I had to modify the steel:

I’m now getting around to properly shielding that tubing.

If I do have to drain the fuel, right now I have to either cut tubing or turn the whole thing upside down. Anybody have any good ideas for a better method that won’t leak but fits within this space?

One of this winter’s big projects will be removing the axles and giving them full refurbishments with new paint. To help things along later I’m prepping some of my spare parts now:

Those steering knuckles came out of the rusty parts FJ60 but cleaned up pretty darn nicely:

Any thoughts on paint? I could go with plain black or something fun. Taking suggestions.

Can you do a Y instead where that barb comes out and then just have a drain hose that's turned off all the time?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Advent Horizon posted:

Alaska ferries DGAF as long as you’re not a hazard.

I walked up to the counter to check in and had this exchange:

“Are you Advent Horizon?”
“Yes…How did you know?”
“You booked that as an ATV, right? Nobody books ATVs from here so we weren’t sure what would show up or if it was a booking mistake.”
“Is that going to be a problem?”
“Nope, I just need to double check the measurements!”

I booked as an ATV because they don’t have an option for equipment. It’s 4x10 with the bucket attached and there are side-by-sides bigger than that.

It fits perfectly under the deck out of the weather, this is a major reason I was looking for something small:

After I got home I saw this in a FB group:

That guy bought a cheap, burned, skid steer at an auction and is trying to fix it up to use. He’s had a few posts now, including ‘how do I get it off a trailer’ and ‘where can I find the manuals cheap, the dealer wants a ton of money’.

Oh, that reminds me, my seller also included paper copies of the full service manuals. Those will be handy. It also turned out that they had listed it for the wrong price; they also had a 2008 with hand/foot controls and double the hours - both accidentally were listed for the same price. I got a pretty decent deal on it and that means there should be enough left in the budget for some attachments :getin:

I love your ATV.

And that poor guy. I guess he’s never before found out that buying something cheap can sometimes be far more expensive.