Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Advent Horizon posted:

Geez, it’s already been another couple weeks.

I went to the junkyard and scavenged a radiator for the Explodasaurus Wrecks:

But the city finally started their ‘cleanup’ of the junkyard and the Ranger I got that from was crushed the next morning. There was one other with TTB but it was basically in a hole at a 45* angle:

Note that it was nearly dark when I took that picture. I was trying, and failing, to salvage a coil spring:

I was getting tired and stupid right before I took that picture. I took the picture when I decided to salvage myself and my tools. We’ll find a spring somewhere else. That Ranger has also now been crushed.

The city is fining them $1500 per vehicle hauled away. They were still insistent about getting money for vehicles slated to be scrapped; we offered to drag away two for free and they would not budge on $150 each. Both got crushed and they got a $3,000 bill; we got called cheapskates for not buying.
[/quot]

It sure seems like a hostile move on the part of the city, given the remote nature, and lack of other resources for parts

Then again, the yard owners seem like asshats, too, so...
You're a "cheapskate", but they're spendthrifts!

[quote]
Anyways, I think that’s about it. I lead a pretty boring life, thanks for reading.

Maybe so, but it's not *our* boring life, so... :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Put a damper on the front door that makes it impossible to slam!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

They're usually utter crap pot metal, so...

Source: first-gen RX-7 door handles that do pretty much the same thing thanks to an arm that manages to neck down right where the most stress would be.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

I don’t know why people like K&N filters; for $50 they are terrible at filtering and this thing is loving tiny.

For $25 Toyota sells a water-washable filter with many times the filtering area.

Much better.

Probably because those water washable filters don't exist for most vehicles.
According to a bike magazine test, the K&N does filter well... once it gets dirty. Otherwise, oiled foam pod filters worked better, at least on bikes.
edit: I have had a couple K&Ns in the past, but I don't bother any more. I just regularly replace decent paper ones now.

quote:

I’m working on changing out what appear to be stock, 300,000-mile-old bulbs with LEDs. Koito is quality stuff and I’m kind of sad to see these go.

I still have the stock, working, Koito 7" headlights from my RX-7, from when I changed them out for halogens. Pretty sure a lot of the other bulbs in the car are still 1979 Koito as well (it last ran over a decade ago, before LEDs were really good enough to use at a price point I was willing to pay.) I'm really impressed by those bulbs. It'll probably get upgraded to LEDs all over once I've got it back together, and I'll be sad to see them go as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Godholio posted:

This is the price of trying to stay "correct." Throw some aftermarket seats in there and fuckin drive it. It's why I have a $25 ignition coil in my C2 vette instead of the $100 one with the proper stamp in the plastic.

You can always go back later and change it.

This. gently caress the pirates who think they can charge that much and get it. Don't enable them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Not to self: never buy a Nissan.

Also: are you sure you didn't find those brake pads on the bottom of the ocean?

You could have filed the slots on the caliper mount until the pads fit properly, BTW, but yeah, they need to move freely to, you know, work.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I have two cars with over 200k miles still on, as far as I know, all four original calipers. All hail Texas weather and lack of salt. And snow, for that matter.
The heat does a number on paint and vinyl, on the other hand. Not as bad as Arizona, but…

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Wow. Just lost all respect for Wix after seeing how little filter media there is.

Did you send this over to the BITOG forums yet?

e: just fell down the rabbit hole over there, looks like Wix got bought out a few years ago and is no longer nearly as good as they used to be.

Well, that’s disappointing.
I’ve been using Wix for years. Guess I’ll change to Bosch.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

huh. I almost always buy the filter from the local parts store while I'm in there buying the oil. I'll have to take a look at where my Wix came from (it's still out there, unused - I've been procrastinating an oil change for a while...)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

yeah i usually use the napa gold filters, which are made by wix. same part number just without the first number (eg 51515 vs 1515). disappointing that they're not trustworthy anymore. maybe i should get a filter cutter to see for myself, and maybe start using the motorcraft ones instead

Cheapest I've found is $42 at Jegs & Summit (or Jegs via Amazon.) Amazingly expensive for such a simple tool.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

If you're going to cut up new filters, just use an angle grinder and assume the metal flakes aren't left over from manufacturing (not a particularly valid assumption for a cheapo filter, right?).

I wonder if one could modify a kitchen can opener somehow to crack open oil filters.

Or buy one of these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5-8-in-Junior-Tube-Cutter-80-511-111/304384093

Remove the bearings and the cutter from the housing and mount them to a piece of scrap steel (or maybe just oak or plywood) and cut open oil filters that way.

Looking at the design of them, yeah, I can build one. That's what I meant about cost vs the simplicity of the design. The "wheels" on the (nice) commercial ones are standard sealed bearing like in rollerblades or a skateboard, and you can get the blade as a replacement part or in a cheap cutter. I saw some replacement ones on Aliexpress with a nice bearing.

There were some complaints on the reviews for the Jegs/Summit one that they needed modification for smaller filters - the bearings are far enough apart mounted to a straight-across piece of aluminum that the filter contacted the block before the bearings, and looking at the design, I can see exactly what they mean. A bit of work with a die grinder takes care of it, but it's a lazy design, especially when it's marketed as being able to work with those size filters. Like, one more easy machining step is all they needed...

They think this is worth $42:

Proform's is a fairly nice billet piece:

...that they want $70 for!
https://www.amazon.com/Proform-66490-Oil-Filter-Cutter/dp/B000CP8DFW/
There are a number of them on Amazon that are near identical if not actually identical. And they're all $70.

This one by "Foghorn Powersports" is basically identical to the Jegs, but fixes the aforementioned small filter problem:

https://www.amazon.com/Foghorn-Powersports-Cutting-Canister-accommodate/dp/B097QGM2ZQ/

Here's a fairly simple design to build:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LQ9ZLPL/
$65. A knockoff of Longacre's design (which is $90!)

Aliexpress didn't have anything I could find on a brief search, despite most of these assuredly coming from China.

edit: found one. And it's $42.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002754503230.html

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 25, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Headrests that you have to dive into the guts of the seat to remove are evil.
And yeah, they don’t debit anything in there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I rarely have a project that doesn't snowball because I refuse to reuse or just leave things I find broken or wrong while doing the thing I initially set out to fix, upgrade, or replace. It's a curse, but I've slacked before and ended up doing the work twice. Never again if I can help it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

FWIW, I love my in-laws. My late FIL was an electrical engineer/hippy, and my step-MIL is a retired professional clown/former IBM-er turned hippy. They were/are interesting people. My non-step-MIL I didn't really care for, and neither did my wife, so, yeah.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I read that as "if your rotor and cam ring are labeled with a '1', the vanes are all 14.994-14.996" for example, not that there are a bunch of different sizes all on the same rotor.
What I'm trying to say is that I think they *are* all identical - just different sizes depending on which cam ring and rotor you have.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

Dear Diary,

Last night I spent three hours looking for the little baggie of pressure plate bolts. I should do smaller projects so I can keep track of everything.

Love myself,
-Advent

Boy, this sounds relatable.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

Finally, at 6pm, I had these all put together:

I admire your aesthetic.

quote:

Toasty buns! Yes, the USB port connects to the stereo.

Very tidy USB install.
Man, I need to install toasty buns in my Crown Vic. Even though it typically doesn't get ridiculously cold here in TX, our Outback has spoiled my lower back if nothing else.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Heck, I'd probably just put AN bulkhead and 90-degree fittings and adapt from there, personally, though the remaking and soldering in lines is also something I might do as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

Supply should be 8mm (5/16 is close enough), return should be 6mm (using 3/16).

I’m willing to put AN fittings on the bracket, but I do need to have hard lines down to the pump. I also don’t have access to the top of the tank when installed, YET. I eventually plan to put in an access panel but that will not be right now.

Is there a good write-up somewhere on AN fittings?

A pox on manufacturers who don't put in access plates. Oddly enough, first time I experienced an electric pump and access plate to go with it was a Toyota - my girlfriend-now-wife's '78 Celica. Odd that Toyota chose not to do that on the LC.

Russell has an AN basics: http://www.russellperformance.com/misc/support/

NitroSpazzz posted:

Pegasus Racing has some good tech articles in general, their AN hose and fitting one is a pretty decent overview - https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/document.asp?DocID=TECH00096

They'll custom make hoses if you want as well otherwise they're a good supplier to deal with but I'm not sure how much the shipping would hurt in your case.

I like Pegasus, too. They once upon a time sent out free posters with a to-size chart on it - I have one up in my garage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I like that cart idea - may steal it!

I'd probably add lean back wheels like some of the heavy duty dollies so you can lean it back and not have to hold it up.

Something like this:

(that's even a cylinder transport dolly)

You could even make them swing out so they're out of the way when it's upright.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That turned out pretty nifty.

I'm going to have to do something when I get my TIG to accommodate both machines - which reminds me I need to acquire a pure Argon bottle for that, too.
Right now I just have the cart that goes with my Hobart (an earlier 135.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

i wonder if a strong magnet would pull the wire wheel wires out of the jacket. probably not, because of how well they seem to get stuck in everything, but maybe worth a shot

poo poo's like extra-pointy dangerous cat hair, I swear.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I was concerned about your sanity in doing anything with that once I saw the lack of panel attachment, but then you said "demolition derby" and everything was all right.
If it weren't for the rust, that would be a neat car to save, but at that point, nah.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

I’m still going to be ordering a stockpile. Even the two Aces in town have serious stock issues. Metric is not one of their specialties and it’s ALWAYS low on stock.

I'm fascinated by this, since literally every car since at least the '90s has metric hardware, not to mention all the Chinese-made tools and widgets we buy are all metric. I can't figure out why the stores carry such a limited supply.
I've had halfway decent luck getting some metric fasteners at O'Reilly's, but generally rely on Amazon/eBay/Grainger and my own hoard of wrecking yard pickups. Literally anything I remove at a wrecking yard, all the bolts I undo come with me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't have much trouble finding metric fasteners in general, but the problem for automotive poo poo sometimes is that just because it's a metric thread doesn't mean every other dimension of the bolt is the same standard as found at a hardware store. I've never seen JIS-spec metric heads at a regular hardware store so even if the thread, strength, and length are all the same, now it's a larger head than the other copies of that same bolt on the same part.

Or you get arbitrary lengths where the factory bolt was M8x27mm but all you can find locally are 25mm and 30mm lengths, or the factory one is partially threaded and everything is full thread (or vice versa).

Or you're Honda and you use a really unusual thread pitch for your control arm bolts.

Well, yeah. That's why I hoard the fasteners from the wrecking yard.
I *hate* having to pull out the 13 and 15mm wrenches because GM and Ford (and presumably the entirety of the SAE) were fuckheads and just couldn't use an existing standard. I definitely don't want that crap on my JIS car if I can avoid it.

Somewhat related: I got an email from Harbor Freight touting their new 10mm socket set. Like 8 sockets in various styles and ratchet sizes for 10mm.
I kind of want one, even though I basically have all of them already.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

Honda can’t even make their engines turn the same direction as everyone else.

I’ll get some weekend stuff up later but for now I’ll say we had a great time. The Corolla won! There were 4 cars in the class, he did the fatal blows on a Taurus and old Subaru GL wagon (both lost the passenger front knuckle); the remaining Pontiac Bonneville got stuck.

He stepped up to the midsize SUV class and somehow it even survived that! He was so light it just bounced when hit, which wasn’t often because nobody else could catch it! He finally got stuck in the mud hunting for the last two other competitors, who then duked it out for several more minutes.

The car is parked at a friend’s place and it will be brought out to defend the title next year.

That's awesome!

Raluek posted:

ACE has JIS hardware. not tons, but a few drawers

Oh, that's good to know. There's still a couple Ace Hardware stores around her.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

Yeah I need to get by there and pick up that set, real life need.

Related, but those little battery terminal ratchets come in super handy for non battery related wrenching

Definitely.
In a similar vein, I have a couple of the little bit drivers that I've used for all sorts of tight quarters. One of those with a nut driver bit ends up shorter than a 1/4 ratchet and socket.

the spyder posted:

I've been buying and giving away this set, which I'm guessing is where the idea came from.

https://www.amazon.com/KD-Tools-80319-Master-Socket/dp/B00LH7DM14

Almost certainly. I have that very set in a wish list.
The HF set is nearly identical, just Pittsburgh.
https://www.harborfreight.com/10mm-metric-essential-socket-set-10-piece-58957.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

Morning of the derby, I drove THE BEAST down the highway for delivery:

https://i.imgur.com/9lcODZS.mp4

Fun. As. Heck. Did the sound come through? If not, it’s missing the sweet sound of a V8 through open header stacks. 10/10, would recommend.

No sound unfortunately, even when "all controls enabled".

Cool trophies!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I was going to say Imgur allows sound, but my exhaust videos for the Crown Vic don't have sound either. I could have sworn that they used to...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That's really odd.

I have a very similar ultrasonic cleaner, and it does a fair job. Parts basket - I *think* it sits on the bottom, but not on rubber. Definitely no issue putting the lid on.
I use a solution specifically for ultrasonic cleaners and it hasn't eaten anything, and seems to work well.

edit: apparently I have exactly the same cleaner:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083KBN9M5

and it does sit on the bottom on small rubber feet. Doesn't seem to be a problem. You want the solution to vibrate, not the parts.

This is the solution I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012GQOBM8

Goes a long way because that's a concentrate - you only use it 3-10% in water. I haven't used my cleaner a huge amount, but the solution is still fine from the first batch. Haven't had to mix up any more.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 27, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

Remember when you said to get a CO2 fire extinguisher so there’s no cleanup after the inevitable fire? I ignored that advice.

Whoops!

edit: terrible page snipe. Pasted in quote for context.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well, that's not sketchy at all.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well, I learned something today.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That's neat. Had no idea such a thing existed!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You are literally the first person I have ever seen that dissed Wix.

At least they're better than Fram. :)

edit: I mean, you had actual evidence, so not saying you're full of poo poo or something.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Your image above was on my desktop for a couple weeks before I built this:

aka, thanks for the motivation!

I'm still wrestling with additional stuff storage ideas ... the .30 cal can seems easy enough, but not quite right for me.

Also perfectly stable without the gas cylinder, but obviously more so with it. I haven't used the TIG yet, but the plasma cutter is unbelievably fun.

Hey, that's the same Yeswelder multiprocess I got through Kickstarter! It's been working well for me - I need to get some Argon so I can start learning to TIG.
I had Advent Horizon's cart in mind when I built min, just sort of scaled up for two machines and tanks, plus storage:

I might have been able to get two machines and tanks on a two wheeler, now that I look at it... :doh:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

You actually inspired me on that part! After I saw you posting about it, I went and looked for the kickstarter, then sent them a message asking if I could get added in. In the probably sketchiest thing I've ever done, it was simultaneously the most I've ever given to a kickstarter AND I wasn't really an official backer.

It showed up and it works great, though!

You could definitely fit two tanks on, I think two machines would be possible too. Your cart impressed me, though, because that was some admirable use of scrap!

Ah, cool! Thanks.
Yeah, it was nice being able to build the thing for like $50 maybe? $20 for the cabinet, and like $30 or so for the HF wheels. Literally the only thing bought. The cart is sized for the cabinet, really.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I feel so 7334 that I get that loopback joke.

Just like "there's no place like 127.0.0.1".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

randomidiot posted:

Why the hell am I cackling so hard at this?

:perfect:

Schadenfreude is a thing.
I'd also like to note that I somehow spelled that correctly without the spell-checker's help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hmmm. Don’t know if you could go bigger, but maybe something with treads would be enough of a one up?