Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Advent Horizon posted:

With the garbage cans out I’ll have room for an air compressor and *hopefully* a blasting cabinet. I have no idea what to shop for with either, though. Along similar lines I need a drill press - what should I look for?

Compressors are all about CFM (cubic feet per minute), and duty cycle.

I'd figure out what tools you want to run with it (they usually list how many cfm they use), and use that to narrow your scope.

Some manufacturers/stores have charts of which compressor can run what. Definitely look at putting in (at least) one moisture/ condensation trap to keep water through your tools to a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Advent Horizon posted:

Basically just inflating tires, blowing out filters/screens, painting, drywall texture (why would the walls be straight? That would make too much sense!), and the blasting cabinet. I think most 15 gallon compressors can do what I need while remaining portable.

Who makes DeWalt compressors? I’ve heard Ingersoll makes some of the Huskys.

The blasting cabinet and painting will be your two biggest draws, then. If you were thinking of doing anything on the classic Toyota (grinding/paint stripping/sanding) you'd want something that would run more air hungry tools.

Last summer I cleaned and repainted the winch bumper on my Tacoma. I have a 60 gallon Porter Cable and felt I was waiting more than I was working.

The sticker on the side recommends against automotive spray guns or sandblasters.

I was using a 90* grinder with basically an industrial scotchbrite pad, and used spraycans (not an HVLP gun).

Depending on how frequently you'd be using it for sandblasting or painting, you could probably get away with a smaller unit. I 'attached' mine with tie down straps to a cheap hand truck for easy portability.