Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't know what it is about those early pre-Ranger B-series trucks that makes people love them despite being terrible, but... it's a thing, alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

I too am confused by this new technology requiring air cooling no doubt.

Opens or closes the door in 30 milliseconds.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Get yourself a set of Milwaukee demo drivers. They'll take that screw out easily after a couple love taps.

That or the impact driver from HF where you smack it with a hammer while turning it. Stuck phillips screws are its specialty.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Advent Horizon posted:

This thing? https://www.harborfreight.com/6-bit-impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-64812.html

I’m wary of buying hand tools from Harbor Freight that you hit with a hammer. I can’t just return them after they break in 3 days.

Yeah, that one. Works fine, mine is probably ten years old at this point. It's not a tool you'll use often but when you need it, it's the best thing out there.

Might want to see if you can find one that comes with a JIS bit though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's an oh poo poo all around.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Get a crow's foot "socket" on the torque wrench? You can correct for the added length easily. I think my crows feet add 1 inch.

If you put the crow's foot at 90 degrees to the wrench, there's no change in torque.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

left seems like the obvious answer to me, unless you have significant comfort concerns

Same all around. Left looks more like an 8-ball shifter and I fuckin love my 8-ball shifter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

That's not really even enough. Filter brands change their construction regularly.

This, unfortunately. I still prefer the actual process of changing a spin-on filter instead of a replacable-element filter, but at least I can see that every ACDelco filter I buy for the Canyon looks exactly like the ones I've bought before.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jiffy Lube isn't putting on those filters (K&N even makes a "pro series" without the nut for shops that want to put fancy filters on). Whole point of it is to give you, the person who cares about proper oil filter torques, an option other than a strap/cup wrench or crushing it with pliers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Heck, I'd probably just put AN bulkhead and 90-degree fittings and adapt from there, personally, though the remaking and soldering in lines is also something I might do as well.

Same. I know AN breaks the "no non-metric wrenches" rule but holy gently caress they are so much nicer to work with. If you standardize on one line size you shouldn't need more than two or three wrenches, total.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

Doesn't a drain plug also make things crazy easy for a fuel thief?

Like that's stopped the thieves who just roll up with a drill and punch through a plastic gas tank.

I'm 100% certain it went away because it costs more than no drain plug and the number of people who will ever have good reason to need a drain plug on their fuel tank is vanishingly small.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

the spyder posted:

I would 100% dunk that whole case in a 5gal bucket of evaporust.

Same, I bet they come out looking a lot nicer than you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't have much trouble finding metric fasteners in general, but the problem for automotive poo poo sometimes is that just because it's a metric thread doesn't mean every other dimension of the bolt is the same standard as found at a hardware store. I've never seen JIS-spec metric heads at a regular hardware store so even if the thread, strength, and length are all the same, now it's a larger head than the other copies of that same bolt on the same part.

Or you get arbitrary lengths where the factory bolt was M8x27mm but all you can find locally are 25mm and 30mm lengths, or the factory one is partially threaded and everything is full thread (or vice versa).

Or you're Honda and you use a really unusual thread pitch for your control arm bolts.