Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

This was begging for it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I see points and want to run screaming. It's a bit of money but if you're keeping the bike, electronic ignition like this (or something like it) is the first thing I'd do. This was just my first google hit and I'm surprised to see it available.

https://hvccycle.net/yamaha-dt-rt-dt250-dt360-dt400-cdi-ignition-12v-180w-7238799dc/

More googling shows there are cheaper options that just replace the points as well.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 20, 2021

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

Getting a title from a bill of sale is *possible* but expensive and time consuming. All-in the process takes three years and I’d have to pay 1.5 times the appraised value into a surety bond. Even the scrapyard won’t take a vehicle without a title. https://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/titles/surety.htm

I think you only pay 10% of the bond as the fee. The bond itself is for the 150%. It's like insurance, if after 3 years nobody else claims the car then the bond expires and the bond company makes money off your fee, if someone else does claim it, the bond pays out.

So it shouldn't be as expensive as you were thinking. At least that's how it was in CO, the one time I did it. If you like the car maybe confirm with a bond agency.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

Saturday morning I got the truck’s tailgate handle replaced. They keep breaking in the exact same spot (the thin 90* turn shown in the picture of the new one). I really should keep a spare because this is the 3rd replacement handle I’ve installed.

Are you lubricating the hell out of everything else in the mechanism? The only way I've ever succeeded in preventing weak handle failure is to make sure it sees as little force as possible. Lube really helps with that.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Doc noooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

The Corolla won!

I gotta admit with all the rust I thought it would wad up like a piece of used foil. Impressive!