Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In the months before going down mangadex rolled out a program where people could host mirrors of their image database to lessen the burden on the main servers. I assume client is one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

How many hours of actual work do you think the ppl behind Mangadex have put in since March? 20 hours? Thirty?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://twitter.com/MangaDexRE/status/1411494529404899333?s=20
oh okay

https://twitter.com/MangaDexRE/status/1411762643883413505?s=20
yeah I’m sure this is real important to the 9 or 10 people that still remember your website exists, much less plan to use it again whenever this nebulous…….. thing you’re working on is finally finished in like 100 years

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
OK, so apparently MangaDex is either never coming back or is going to feature creep itself beyond the point of usability. What are the hot new alternatives everybody's moving to?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i dunno if it's really "feature creep" for them to add moderation tools and (not yet!) the ability to upload new manga

kinda the opposite really

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

This is all real dumb

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
It's less feature creep and more extremely slow baby steps. But I don't know of any alternatives that don't have a terrible layout, don't try to get me to load facebook comments, or aren't full of ads. Would love to hear what everyone else is using.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I just stopped reading manga cold turkey and I have to say it's been weird how much I don't miss it anymore.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

batteries! posted:

But I don't know of any alternatives that don't have a terrible layout, don't try to get me to load facebook comments, or aren't full of ads.

Yeah, tbh I expect most people will actually go back to mangadex as soon as they enable uploads, from lack of tolerable alternatives.

They should have just left the old site up read-only this entire time imo, if they were going to save uploads for last, but here we are.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Clarste posted:

I just stopped reading manga cold turkey and I have to say it's been weird how much I don't miss it anymore.

Honestly? Same.
The amount of sub-par manga i was consuming thanks to mangadex making it easy was staggering

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I miss manga every day. 2021 is the worst year in manga history. gently caress manga dex. gently caress lazy scanlators.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

I miss manga every day. 2021 is the worst year in manga history. gently caress manga dex. gently caress lazy scanlators.

This.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

i dunno if it's really "feature creep" for them to add moderation tools and (not yet!) the ability to upload new manga

kinda the opposite really

ive been catching up on manga i had on my planning to read list in the meantime by using tachiyomi
it just works

also what manga is this

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

marumaru posted:

also what manga is this
Komi-san can't communicate

marumaru
May 20, 2013

looks like i have some catching up to do, i thought the artstyle was similar but i haven't seen that panel :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
For manga I really liked, I go straight to the scanalator's site now. For ones I care less about, lovely pirate sites suffice

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

Absolutely

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The amount of sub-par manga i was consuming thanks to mangadex making it easy was staggering

This is one of the things I miss about mangadex. Going to the site, scrolling through recent uploads, and reading some random trashy echi one shot I otherwise wouldn’t read.

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 5, 2021

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Ringo Roadagain posted:

This is one of the things I miss about mangadex. Going to the site, scrolling through recent uploads, and reading some random trashy echi one shot I otherwise wouldn’t read.

That was the only reason I could sit through that Dogeza show that was on a while ago. I had to see that murder animated.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

is that that one about the chick with the Seung-Hui Cho disease where she can’t talk good or whatever?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I. M. Gei posted:

is that that one about the chick with the Seung-Hui Cho disease where she can’t talk good or whatever?
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't think so, friend. that's kind of a weird thing to compare it to!

she's just really shy and has trouble speaking to people, but the entire series is mostly about her moving past that, and also romantic comedy shenanigans.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

For manga I really liked, I go straight to the scanalator's site now. For ones I care less about, lovely pirate sites suffice

Most of the manga I really cared about only have mangadex listed as their source 😩

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I'd read mangadex again if verizon wasn't blocking traffic to it.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Also MangaStorm and all of its imitator apps got nuked off the AppStore so now there's no good way to read manga on my phone. Another feather in 2021's cap.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Also MangaStorm and all of its imitator apps got nuked off the AppStore so now there's no good way to read manga on my phone. Another feather in 2021's cap.

Look up Tachiyomi :cheers:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

If the Freaks from FKMTKrazy read this forum - please, for the love of God translate more Kaiji chapters!!!!

edit: And upload them to a shady rear end site like MangaNelo

Pewdiepie fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 5, 2021

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Look up Tachiyomi :cheers:

Looks like I'm buying an Android tablet.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Captain Invictus posted:

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't think so, friend. that's kind of a weird thing to compare it to!

she's just really shy and has trouble speaking to people, but the entire series is mostly about her moving past that, and also romantic comedy shenanigans.

Yeah sorry about that, I know it’s an icky comparison. I actually have read bits and pieces* of that series and I don’t know why my brain likens it to THAT case in particular. Maybe because it’s the only major real-life example I know about of a case with any similarities, even though I’m certain that they suffer from two totally different things.

* okay fine I binged the whole thing. it’s weirdly adorable and me being a ‘tism-haver I find myself totally relating to parts of it

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pewdiepie posted:

If the Freaks from FKMTKrazy read this forum - please, for the love of God translate more Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku: Princess Of Zipang chapters!!!!

edit: And upload them to a shady rear end site like MangaNato anywhere including MangaDex and/or MangaNato

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I hope someone releases the komi artist from baving to make one of the ugliest manga out there

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Level Seven posted:

I'd read mangadex again if verizon wasn't blocking traffic to it.

same..... :smith:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Even if you change the DNS?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Davincie posted:

I hope someone releases the komi artist from baving to make one of the ugliest manga out there
drat, didn't know they were working on two series at the same time, komi-san, the perfectly fine-looking series, and this horrible series you're talking abot. what a trooper

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

How many hours of actual work do you think the ppl behind Mangadex have put in since March? 20 hours? Thirty?

Can any computer toucher comment on how many hours of work they think went into the web development of the new Mangadex over the past 4 months?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

drat, didn't know they were working on two series at the same time, komi-san, the perfectly fine-looking series, and this horrible series you're talking abot. what a trooper

free this woman from the horrible fate you've dealt her

marumaru
May 20, 2013

her eye is falling off

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

marumaru posted:

her eye is falling off

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Don’t ignore the red headed sand worm in the back

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

i dont remember that part of diebuster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

i dont remember that part of diebuster

No, this is that other Tsurumaki and Enokido anime. Dragon Dentist.