Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

i dont remember that part of diebuster

It's the sequel when Lal'c is working for Earth Defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Davincie posted:

free this woman from the horrible fate you've dealt her

That looks some lovely Western comic trying to go all anime to appeal to da kidz

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Most of what I’ve seen of Komi has been really good, maybe artist was having an off day there.

Also some artists when they do color illustrations are just worse.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Ringo Roadagain posted:

This is one of the things I miss about mangadex. Going to the site, scrolling through recent uploads, and reading some random trashy echi one shot I otherwise wouldn’t read.

I tried to do that on other sites but theres 9000 comics called some variation of invincible immortal unmatched peerless cultivation king god

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ccs posted:

Most of what I’ve seen of Komi has been really good, maybe artist was having an off day there.

Also some artists when they do color illustrations are just worse.
the art in komi is perfectly fine. manbagi's eyelashes are just weird especially when her eyes are closed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the faces are very exaggerated, yes. it's manga.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

marumaru posted:

Even if you change the DNS?

They're blocking the IPs for the DDoS protection service mangadex/nyaa use, apparently

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
tbh I'm reading a lot less scanlations and a lot more officially translated manga these days, I got sick of reader sites dying or scanlation groups giving up on a series halfway through

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm really sad Hibiki: How to become a Novelist stopped being scanlated. That was the last series aside from Berserk (rip) and Houseki no Kuni I was really invested in.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Polsy posted:

They're blocking the IPs for the DDoS protection service mangadex/nyaa use, apparently

oh, oof, that's hosed.
time for a mangadex proxy

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
If you have access to a server in the cloud anywhere (Azure and AWS will let you run one completely free for 12 months) it's pretty easy to use a socks proxy and an addon to automatically connect via the proxy specifically for nyaa/mangadex/whatever.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Inshallah

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

...I honestly wish they'd do the desktop UI first? Because this incarnation of the follows feed is unusable, and if they open the floodgates with it in this state I reckon I'm going to miss a whole bunch of stuff. :negative:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

...I honestly wish they'd do the desktop UI first?

Doing mobile UIs first is an industry standard.
Dang zoomers are always on their darn mobile phones these days :arghfist:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

marumaru posted:

Dang zoomers are always on their darn mobile phones these days :bahgawd:
FTFY but yeah, it's just natural. Everyone in my immediate family (Mom, Dad, Wife, Daughter and her wife) are more likely to work out of their phone or tablet than an actual computer.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Am I the only one that finds MD hard to navigate now? Everything looks so spaced out even on mobile.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

Am I the only one that finds MD hard to navigate now? Everything looks so spaced out even on mobile.

The mobile layout looks rough stretched out on a desktop, a lot of blank space. Uploads seem to be going well, I got 190 feed updates and the server didn't die.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Violet_Sky posted:

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea why they spent so much time changing things when it's at best a sidegrade. Who was asking for this? :confused:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Acerbatus posted:

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea why they spent so much time changing things when it's at best a sidegrade. Who was asking for this? :confused:

When you write big programs, especially websites, you start out having to make assumptions about exactly how each little fiddly bit of it works. Over time, requests come in that upend those assumptions, sometimes challenging the very foundational thinking of your product. Eventually the code becomes so dense with hacks and partial solutions that you just have to step back, consider everything that came before, rethink your roadmap, and build it all back up from scratch.

Also it sounds like the MD people are doing a proper API layer this time, which adds some complexity in the middle of your program but (if properly thought out) makes both the frontend and backend easier to change going forward. It's more work up front for fewer hacks and easier management in the future.

As long as their security is sorted, of course.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Mirage posted:

When you write big programs, especially websites, you start out having to make assumptions about exactly how each little fiddly bit of it works. Over time, requests come in that upend those assumptions, sometimes challenging the very foundational thinking of your product. Eventually the code becomes so dense with hacks and partial solutions that you just have to step back, consider everything that came before, rethink your roadmap, and build it all back up from scratch.

Also it sounds like the MD people are doing a proper API layer this time, which adds some complexity in the middle of your program but (if properly thought out) makes both the frontend and backend easier to change going forward. It's more work up front for fewer hacks and easier management in the future.

As long as their security is sorted, of course.

How many hours of work do you think they put in since March.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

marumaru posted:

Dang zoomers are always on their darn mobile phones these days :arghfist:

Oh, I'm well aware. I work in web dev, for my sins :negative:

Well, the UI is still bad, but it's nice that manga exists again. :shobon:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
on one hand i don't know how much work the mangadex devs may or may not have put into rebuilding the site, but on the other hand i've never given them any money for any of their time or hosting costs so why would i care?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's also probably something they're doing during their free time after their actual job, education or whatever. So even if they are only putting in a few hours a week, then yeah, makes sense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Is it just me, or is the site down? I figured I should probably upload the latest chapters of the thing I do, but the site's not working at all. Or did they change their URL?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

Is it just me, or is the site down? I figured I should probably upload the latest chapters of the thing I do, but the site's not working at all. Or did they change their URL?

It's up for me. That said, a bunch of people have mentioned that their isp is blocking the site, and they changed the address so bookmarks might not work if they were made before the downtime.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, it seems to be my ISP. It works on my phone but only when I disconnect from wifi.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pewdiepie posted:

How many hours of work do you think they put in since March.

Supporting a fakku style betrayal? Disgusting. :911:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

Supporting a fakku style betrayal? Disgusting. :911:

I am just legitimately curious if someone with a web development background could give an estimate of how much work it would take. It doesn't seem like a lot to me. But I don't do that for a living. Seems like there's tons of web developers crawling around this thread.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pewdiepie posted:

I am just legitimately curious if someone with a web development background could give an estimate of how much work it would take. It doesn't seem like a lot to me. But I don't do that for a living. Seems like there's tons of web developers crawling around this thread.

I did some basic web development in the first year of a college course only a year ago, and even putting together a basic site with some java apps running in the background took me a few weeks at several hours a day. I was learning as I was doing though, so that's probably not the best measure. Still, coding in general is not a fast process from my limited experience. As I said above though, I doubt most of these folks are coding the site as a living anyway. They might make a living coding sites, but probably not this particular site. So I doubt they're putting all their time and energy into it, and they're more likely doing it as a passion project for an hour or two every couple of nights when they have some free time.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 8, 2021

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

tsob posted:

I did some basic web development in the first year of a college course only a year ago, and even putting together a basic site with some java apps running in the background took me a few weeks at several hours a day. I was learning as I was doing though, so that's probably not the best measure. Still, coding in general is not a fast process from my limited experience. As I said above though, I doubt most of these folks are coding the site as a living anyway. They might make a living coding sites, but probably not this particular site. So I doubt they're putting all their time and energy into it, and they're more likely doing it as a passion project for an hour or two every couple of nights when they have some free time.

Pretty sure they've specifically said this is the case, fwiw

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Yeah, something this wide-ranging, with a redevelop of both the front- and backend, with uploads, file tracking, comments, admin features, and all that, could be a thousand programmer-hour job, easy. The actual scope would depend on whether they're starting from a commercially available CMS or just building from ground zero, and what frameworks they're using.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Chapters are getting uploaded to mangadex right now.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hope a real UI is still coming. I loved slowly but steadily browsing through the mountains of titles available and occasionally finding something cool and obscure. It's practically impossible now without a proper search by most time since last updated and list view.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I hope they repair the feature to list all manga translated by a given translator. It was my main way to find new manga.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Mirage posted:

Yeah, something this wide-ranging, with a redevelop of both the front- and backend, with uploads, file tracking, comments, admin features, and all that, could be a thousand programmer-hour job, easy. The actual scope would depend on whether they're starting from a commercially available CMS or just building from ground zero, and what frameworks they're using.

And Twitter proves that having hundreds of developers dedicated to it full time does not mean it will actually get any better for the end user.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Search still seems kinda funky and it doesn't look like Follows can be modified yet

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
There are to many people updating I don't know what to read.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is it just me or does MD have more hentai than it did before?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's always had hentai but it hid it by default and I think it still does. Maybe the new UI does a worse job of that somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

It's also going to be slower since the whole point of it is fixing security/resistance to DDoS. It's a target, so something that mostly works but has an exploitable hole is going to eventually cause downtime later