Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Am I misremembering or did it used to fade out the chapter titles when you've read them?

No, you're correct. They took that out and added back the eye icon that they had near launch (which never seemed to work properly) and took out shortly after. I didn't even notice the tiny blue line before it was mentioned here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I'm a great fan of the language filter being tied to a cookie that gets lost when it randomly decides to log me out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Anyone else having issues with long-strip formatted comics on desktop? They work for mobile but I get maybe one image in the entire comic to load on my laptop with nothing but white images for the rest.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Lurking Haro posted:

I'm a great fan of the language filter being tied to a cookie that gets lost when it randomly decides to log me out.

Yep, dark mode too!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
nice, mangadex is starting to let more scanlators upload new series that had been stuck on cubari

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That's really good news

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Why is there a mangadex[.]org and a .tv? Is one malicious?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
org is the real one.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Did anyone else suddenly have all the symbols of what manga chapters they've already read wiped.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Oh weird it fixed itself as soon as I posted about it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
finally got a vpn and logged into mangadex, did they remove the ability to hide certain series automatically from things like the latest updates tab and such? there's far too much manhua etc clogging up the update lists, so I'd prefer to hide'em across the site.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
There's an original language filter in settings.

*edit*

It'd be nice if it could be set by group since 95% of the Chinese stuff is just bilibili pimping their own offsite stuff.

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 18, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ardeem posted:

There's an original language filter in settings.

*edit*

It'd be nice if it could be set by group since 95% of the Chinese stuff is just bilibili pimping their own offsite stuff.

aha, thanks! didn't notice that.

edit: is there a similar option for genre/theme tags? it works in advanced search but not in recent updates from what I can see.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 18, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

yo is MD running slow for anyone else right now?

seems like it's been loading pages and poo poo a lot slower over the last few days

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
their status page shows increased response times on the CDN so yeah it's probably just server load
https://status.mangadex.org/#system-metrics

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theyve reopened adding new manga

May god have mercy on our souls

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lol is there a way to block specific groups, MangaPlus is basically every manga now

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rigged Death Trap posted:

why? isn't this a good thing?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Six months worth of hot garbage all at once, and somehow bilibili and Mangaplus off-site links are still flooding.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GorfZaplen posted:

Lol is there a way to block specific groups, MangaPlus is basically every manga now

Nope!

An out of date gripe:
whys the main title of everything now romanized Japanese
who thought this was a good idea.

loving weebs i swear. Manhwa/hua dont have this problem.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 24, 2021

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Did new Dex remove this feature? Blocking specific groups was a big feature of old Dex because of prolific troll groups.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

New Mangadex is in open beta, and not the soft launch sort, the "okay, the back end mostly works now, time to get the public to break our front end repeatedly" sort.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Filtering groups is on their to-do list (along with every other feature the old site had) but who knows what they're prioritizing or how fast anything will move.

I never really use the front page for discovery since there's so much trash, I'd rather they focus on the community features like restoring the user score database.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Swilo posted:

I never really use the front page for discovery since there's so much trash, I'd rather they focus on the community features like restoring the user score database.

Really? That's all I ever use the front page for. I only started going to MD to look for funny panels...... and then I kept reading some of the stuff I found...

... and then I started looking for more...

... now I can't stop

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It's always fun to browse the front page and find a cover or a title or a plot description that just shouts "THIS is special! THIS is a thing I need to click on! THIS has something amazing/hilarious/weird/:wtc:-inducing that the other guys don't!".

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I. M. Gei posted:

It's always fun to browse the front page and find a cover or a title or a plot description that just shouts "THIS is special! THIS is a thing I need to click on! THIS has something amazing/hilarious/weird/:wtc:-inducing that the other guys don't!".

It's basically how I've found the absolute best and worst titles on the site.

User score never has seemed useful to me, stuff like higehiro gets rated 1 star because the heroine is SOME KIND OF SLUT THATS SLEPT AROUND, though I think that got less bad after they changed how the rating system received 1/2 and 9/10 scores.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Never trust user scores, they are meaningless trash.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

I. M. Gei posted:

Never trust user scores, they are meaningless trash.

I wouldn't say they're useless, without them I'd never have found that amazing one-shot about the mage taking the hero's party home. I only found it by looking at the all-time top rated on MD.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Paracelsus posted:

I wouldn't say they're useless, without them I'd never have found that amazing one-shot about the mage taking the hero's party home. I only found it by looking at the all-time top rated on MD.

They're enough of a crapshoot that their reflection of any actual quality is pretty random. I think the Legend of Koizumi sequel only had like a 5.5/10 when I found it, and that has Anime Mahjong Saiyan Donald Trump in it. Anyone who doesn't immediately give that poo poo a 10 on description alone belongs in a trash can.

It's not even a flattering portrayal. His limo driver is the goddamn HAMBURGLAR.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 25, 2021

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Huh mangadex not blocked by verizon anymore

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They say they found a way around the block, but there's no knowing if Verizon cares enough to keep blocking mangadex specifically or if it was just a casualty of shotgunning DDoS-Guard sites and they won't bother again.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 11, 2021

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
not any direct mangadex news, but fyi black cat scanlations (an offshoot after jaimini's box died) and catmanga.org are done, the series they were working on were mostly high school romcom stuff:

-Kanojo, Okarishimasu*
-Kanojo mo Kanojo*
-A Couple of Cuckoos*
-Ranger Reject
-Goddess Cafe Terrace
-My Charms Are Wasted On Kuroiwa Medaka
-Matchmaking of the Amagami Household
-Getsuyoubi no Tawawa
-Boy's Abyss
-Dog and Scum
-I Shaved. Then I Brought a High School Girl Home.*
-The Irregular of the Royal Academy of Magic
-Sakurai-san Wants to Be Noticed*
-Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi*
-The Story Between a Dumb Prefect and a High School Girl with an Inappropriate Skirt Length
-A Rare Marriage: How to Grill Our Love
-Doujima-kun Won't be Disturbed (axed, but someone else on reddit completed the scanlation)
-We Shall Now Begin Ethics
-Ase to Sekken*

*licensed in america

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Supposedly they had been doing what JB had been caught doing previously (releasing chapters ahead of their Japanese publications) which if that's related to their supposed legal issues then lol. I think also there was some drama with the Boy's Abyss author.

Getsuyoubi, Dumb Prefect, Uzaki, and Sakurai-san I hope get picked up elsewhere

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'd love more info on any and all scanlation drama, because it never fails to make me laugh

These dumb mistakes keep happening

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
an internet of rakes

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Nate RFB posted:

Supposedly they had been doing what JB had been caught doing previously (releasing chapters ahead of their Japanese publications) which if that's related to their supposed legal issues then lol.

lol

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Holy poo poo I don't know if it was a new release of the site that finally did it but I can finally look at mangadex again on my ISP.

Time to figure out how to navigate the new site and see how many of the manga I followed died off scanlation wise :unsmith:

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I was to lazy to get a vpn so I would just use my phone as a hotspot but good to know I dont have to do that stupid bullshit anymore

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Coaaab posted:

not any direct mangadex news, but fyi black cat scanlations (an offshoot after jaimini's box died) and catmanga.org are done, the series they were working on were mostly high school romcom stuff:

-Kanojo, Okarishimasu*
-Kanojo mo Kanojo*
-A Couple of Cuckoos*
-Ranger Reject
-Goddess Cafe Terrace
-My Charms Are Wasted On Kuroiwa Medaka
-Matchmaking of the Amagami Household
-Getsuyoubi no Tawawa
-Boy's Abyss
-Dog and Scum
-I Shaved. Then I Brought a High School Girl Home.*
-The Irregular of the Royal Academy of Magic
-Sakurai-san Wants to Be Noticed*
-Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi*
-The Story Between a Dumb Prefect and a High School Girl with an Inappropriate Skirt Length
-A Rare Marriage: How to Grill Our Love
-Doujima-kun Won't be Disturbed (axed, but someone else on reddit completed the scanlation)
-We Shall Now Begin Ethics
-Ase to Sekken*

*licensed in america
Dumb Prefect, Sakurai, and Getsuyoubi have all gotten updates from ostensible new groups and I care about Uzaki the least so we're good I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
A bunch of erstwhile Black Cat manga got huge dumps on the 'Dex hours after they imploded. It looks like BC's scanlator groups are all going solo.