Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
looks like dip is back on the menu boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
lol if you aren't gorging on leverage and hurling it all at meme stonks

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i guess i can talk earnestly here without getting yelled at as much for being a class traitor capitalist

i've been dca buying my way back into etfs because i liquidated like 2/3 of my portfolio in october to buy property and that didn't happen (lol :smithicide:)

i loving hate buying in at all time highs but i guess doing it over two months makes me want to puke less

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

indigi posted:

oof that sux. what are you buying

xgro - it was like ~$22 cad when i liquidated, it's up to ~24.60 now. not the end of the world but at least i didn't FOMO my way into a lovely property.

also taco bell b/c they sent me coupons and i can get a full day's worth of calories for $8 cad

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I've been following your adventure and I'm glad you didn't. there are going to be a lot of lemons sold during this panic

it's been a hell of a ride. i'm really glad my agent is an old friend of mine that i trust a lot. he steered me away from a few places that might have been disasters. he's got a good eye for cheap flips and unlike a lot of agents he steered me away from that garbage, or at least pointed out the flaws and red flags... like the one with a dehumidifier running in the basement in the middle of winter

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
yep. I did own a home for three years. in the first six months the hot water tank failed and the main drain got invaded by tree roots :retrogames:

all stuff I could afford to deal with but still shows how quickly things can happen.

house rich but cash poor people don’t know what they’re getting into

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
yep, with one caveat: americans have it better because they have fixed terms for the entire amortization of the mortgage; in canada we only generally fix up to 5 years at a time

but interest rates will never go north of 5% again so who cares

my problem is my choices are condo or rent and condos have more risk (imho) than a house generally does. at least with a house if someone's underfunding the maintenance it's you, the owner, and not a condo board that was hijacked by short term thinking investment owners who are keeping fees artificially low until they sell

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Mr Hootington posted:

Anyone make money yet?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
do y'all not have RESP-like accounts like Canadians for saving for college? tax deferred and then taxed in the hands of the student who is most likely "earning" nothing when they withdraw it so much less tax

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
drat futures are up. I shoulda did my weekly etf buy earlier this week

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

indigi posted:

details please

Cold on a Cob posted:

i guess i can talk earnestly here without getting yelled at as much for being a class traitor capitalist

i've been dca buying my way back into etfs because i liquidated like 2/3 of my portfolio in october to buy property and that didn't happen (lol :smithicide:)

i loving hate buying in at all time highs but i guess doing it over two months makes me want to puke less

I just checked and I'm a week ahead of schedule anyway so I don't feel as bad about missing ~1% (not that I'm 100% in the S&P anyway, I buy xgro right now :canada:).

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

indigi posted:

ooh what’s xgro, sounds sci fi

it's extremely boring, mlmp:
16% canadian bonds
4% us bonds
20% canadian stocks
36% us stocks
20% international developed stocks
4% emerging market stocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
the dip kept dipping so i yolo'd the rest in. i was like 80% invested now anyway vOv