Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Seeing LAFC dead last in the west feels great, given that every MLS media head continued to say they were champs in waiting even as they looked completely mediocre through their first 4 games.

Seattle look scary solid and are the team all those MLS and ESPN media guys said LAFC were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

threeagainstfour posted:

Seeing LAFC dead last in the west feels great, given that every MLS media head continued to say they were champs in waiting even as they looked completely mediocre through their first 4 games.

Seattle look scary solid and are the team all those MLS and ESPN media guys said LAFC were.

Obviously I'm a fan, but it is kind of scary how good Seattle are this year

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Azerban posted:

well, i'd like to see how seattle are going to make the playoffs this time! *seattle make the playoffs easily* ah! well. nevertheless,

Dallan Invictus posted:

I for one never wonder if or how this will happen in any given year whatever dumb offseason poo poo happens to the Sounders, I just feel it in my bones like the approach of winter or death.

where are our checks, Don

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CubanMissile posted:

loving lol that the folks in Columbus decided to gently caress over their legacy fans in favor of being more boring for the sake of a focus group of people that are never going to watch the games anyway.

Like a cheap tent:
https://twitter.com/ColumbusCrew/status/1394472920534106115/photo/1

...a cheap tent which probably spent a lot of money to be what, in its infinite wisdom, thought was a nice tent, only to wind up folding anyway.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
They only folded on the name. The awful logo is staying so it feels hollow to me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Aaron Long tore his Achilles, out for the year for RBNY. I haven't seen any of his games so far this year, but he was really good in prior years.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

binge crotching posted:

Aaron Long tore his Achilles, out for the year for RBNY. I haven't seen any of his games so far this year, but he was really good in prior years.

This is very not good for us. The thought of Sean Nealis and Amro Tarek trying to hold down the fort is nightmare fuel.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Jovial Cow posted:

This is very not good for us. The thought of Sean Nealis and Amro Tarek trying to hold down the fort is nightmare fuel.

That seems rather fitting because "nightmare fuel" describes the taste of Red Bull perfectly

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Columbus' even newer logo replaces the 'SC' with 'Crew' and triangle with '96', and the effort applied to the changes was minimal.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

An :effort: re-design of an :effort: re-brand

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
My main hope now is they will scrap this during the offseason and either revert completely to the previous badge or at least go back to the drawing board.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

ESPN posted an interview with Howard Webb, head of PRO who oversaw VAR's initial implementation in MLS. One interesting nugget is that they want to broadcast live audio during reviews but FIFA needs to approve it, which is another, albeit minor, reason to hate FIFA.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 19, 2021

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

whypick1 posted:

ESPN posted an interview with Howard Webb, head of PRO who oversaw VAR's initial implementation in MLS. One interesting nugget is that they want to broadcast live audio during reviews but FIFA needs to approve it, which is another, albeit minor, reason to hate FIFA.

During the welcome back tournament, didn’t they broadcast a couple decisions live?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

whypick1 posted:

that was interesting, it seems like the biggest difference is the hawkeye camera making offside decisions precise that is causing so much rage in european leagues, whereas mls essentially maintains a ref judgement on offside calls as offside-ish that may be more in the spirit than the letter of the rule.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Nottherealaborn posted:

During the welcome back tournament, didn’t they broadcast a couple decisions live?

They mention that in the interview. I must not have watched those games because I certainly don't remember seeing/hearing that.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I remember it happening a couple of times during the Returnament, yeah, and the discussion at the time was that they were fine doing it then as a trial during a weird one-off "look we need to put SOMETHING on TV or lose even more money" tournament, but they wanted to get FIFA/IFAB approval to make it more permanent and, well, those guys are famous lovers of change, right?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

quote:

Real estate developer Ted Segal is near an agreement to purchase Major League Soccer’s Houston Dynamo FC for about $400 million, according to multiple people familiar with the transaction.
https://www.sportico.com/business/sales/2021/houston-dynamo-sale-1234630196/

hm, idk

hope they want to spend

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I hadn't really internalized the Montreal rebrand until today. Man, what a bummer.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I’m still trying to understand what thought process results in so many marketing people and team owners deciding that City Name FC is the gateway to riches.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

CubanMissile posted:

I’m still trying to understand what thought process results in so many marketing people and team owners deciding that City Name FC is the gateway to riches.

AAC probably makes a lot of branding decisions for the league.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

Because "how can we look like European football without having any of the tradition or quality?"

Also, man how about that tackle on Andy Polo?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i assume at some point they did a bunch of survey research on soccer fans who dont watch mls but watch european, mexican, international or other leagues and found that goofy american team names was seen as one of the barriers for them becoming mls fans (ancedotally i remember hearing this criticism of mls for a long time from non-mls soccer fans)

which is dumb but may also be correct for a subset of potential fans

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

CubanMissile posted:

It makes it a Global Brand, letting them pitch Infinite Growth to investors! Of course, it makes them sound exactly the same as every other team, so they end up having no brand at all. :capitalism:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

i assume at some point they did a bunch of survey research on soccer fans who dont watch mls but watch european, mexican, international or other leagues and found that goofy american team names was seen as one of the barriers for them becoming mls fans (ancedotally i remember hearing this criticism of mls for a long time from non-mls soccer fans)

which is dumb but may also be correct for a subset of potential fans
Well sure if you're talking about teams like Tampa Bay Mutiny back in the day with the logo being a minimalistic crab holding a soccer ball, but the kinds of people who are like "ugh god the Portland TIMBERS what an amateurish Americanized name" are the kinds of drab pissants you'll never reach in a million years because they'll always find some kind of reason to bitch about the product anyway.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

...they'll always find some kind of reason to bitch about the product anyway.

I'm pretty sure that reason is "it's American"

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Austin should score goals once in a while imho. Also VAR sucks

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Well sure if you're talking about teams like Tampa Bay Mutiny back in the day with the logo being a minimalistic crab holding a soccer ball, but the kinds of people who are like "ugh god the Portland TIMBERS what an amateurish Americanized name" are the kinds of drab pissants you'll never reach in a million years because they'll always find some kind of reason to bitch about the product anyway.

yeah agree, we're a long way from the 90s cheese and obviously some people will never be won over. I just meant at some point MLS changed marketing strategy from lets make soccer more like other American sports to lets make MLS more like other soccer leagues and to some extent it has probably worked on the whole, though some of the results (like changing Montreal's name) seem real dumb

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

DC United going through it right now with their supporters groups. I wonder what normal supporters groups are like where people are fans instead of idiots pretending to be off brand hooligans. Every game bottles are thrown, every game people are cursing and throwing slurs. Every game the old timers get a bigger chip on their shoulder and think they can harass people and get away with it. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would join the supporters groups here, the average maturity of the group is very low, and you're just asking for trouble.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Shammypants posted:

DC United going through it right now with their supporters groups.

Is there any time when that is not the case?

Anyway who wants a collecters item?

https://www.adidas.com/us/columbus-crew-sc-21-pride-pre-match-jsy/HI1460.html

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Another Austin match is now a national broadcast - the Portland match originally scheduled for July 3rd is now July 1st on FS1.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
:redhammer: coming down on Inter in 10 minutes

e: The penalties are:
-$2 million fine to Inter Miami
-$250,000 fine to Jorge Mas
-Paul McDonough suspended until 2023
-Inter Miami fined $2,271,250 in Garberbux for 2022 and 2023

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 28, 2021

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

:redhammer: coming down on Inter in 10 minutes

lol @ all of this, especially the part where this also affects Atlanta

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1398406960177946634

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

lol miami

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Understandably, Atlanta is none-too-happy with McDonough over this ruling and canned his rear end.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Five DPs and underreporting the wages of three other players and still finishing 10th.

Keep rocking, Miami.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
the funniest thing about watching miami is when they show a close up of matuidi about 40 minutes in and you go, oh yeah I forgot miami had signed blaise matuidi, I thought he was injured like pato

also their stadium is pink

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Inter Miami exists to make everything else in mls seem less ridiculous by comparison and this is just really adds to that legacy

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Now I’m convinced Inter Miami is a real thing.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

6 games total for Williams.

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1400891291853070343?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

drat, can't remember the last time there was a suspension that long for a tackle. The Zakuani career-ender is the only one that comes to mind, which was 10 games.