Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Philadelphia remain The Team Your Cheap-rear end Team Could Play Like.

Azerban posted:

match made in heaven imo

He'll probably make their defence better but it isn't like that's exactly hard.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Azerban posted:

well, i'd like to see how seattle are going to make the playoffs this time! *seattle make the playoffs easily* ah! well. nevertheless,

Dallan Invictus posted:

I for one never wonder if or how this will happen in any given year whatever dumb offseason poo poo happens to the Sounders, I just feel it in my bones like the approach of winter or death.

where are our checks, Don

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I remember it happening a couple of times during the Returnament, yeah, and the discussion at the time was that they were fine doing it then as a trial during a weird one-off "look we need to put SOMETHING on TV or lose even more money" tournament, but they wanted to get FIFA/IFAB approval to make it more permanent and, well, those guys are famous lovers of change, right?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

Idk, I like the Revs new logo.

If they had to rebrand at all, they at least did a good job this time (unlike, say, Montreal, or Chicago/Columbus' first attempts).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

It's going to be a reserve league, I'd bet.

I've been ignoring all this fanfare for a project that will basically flip USL's "mostly independent teams with some reserves" to "mostly reserves with some independents".

Good for various MLS academy prospects that need polishing (and their resale value, which is likely why HQ is doing it) that it exists but I can't imagine it as anything that should worry USL or NISA anymore than "being American soccer leagues without billionaire investors" already should?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Hopefully the other two teams will announce something soon as well.

The BC government's announced that they'll allow fans (50% IIRC for now), but the team haven't said anything definitive yet about when. Last I heard they planned to come back in August but hopefully the timeline gets moved up.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

MLS' teams various loud and/or explosive stadium gimmicks (see also the new anthem from last year) are authentic as hell, they're just the wrong KIND of authentic so some people find them cringe.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Tortilla Maker posted:

Do MLS clubs themselves actually get the money yet? Or does it still go to MLS instead?

For homegrowns clubs get all the money, for anyone else the league still takes a 5% cut.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 19, 2021

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

whypick1 posted:

de Boer suddenly looking a whole lot better in hindsight.

How many consecutive coaches that never get the players on-side do you have to hire before the coaches stop looking like the problem?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

leftist heap posted:

I just saw that the Whitecaps lost to a CPL team last night lmao

This is like the second time it's happened already, so if MDS is just trying to make it stop being special then Mission Accomplished I Guess

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Well, why pay to buy out a replacement assistant coach when you can get the people who made you need a replacement in the first place to pay for it?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I know UEFA's pied-pipering everyone into killing the away goals rule but I was hoping Our Dumb League would resist. :smith:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

yeah this seems like a terrible idea except as a way for Manning etc. to try and charm some of the dumber members of the TFC fanbase currently calling for his head with a whole "remember that guy you liked a few years ago, he's back!" spiel like Ronaldo to United except way worse

their FO is just dumb enough to do it but I refuse to believe it

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

whypick1 posted:

The line for people to quote all the Sounders posters thinking the team would miss the playoffs this year starts here.

Azerban posted:

well, i'd like to see how seattle are going to make the playoffs this time! *seattle make the playoffs easily* ah! well. nevertheless,

Dallan Invictus posted:

I for one never wonder if or how this will happen in any given year whatever dumb offseason poo poo happens to the Sounders, I just feel it in my bones like the approach of winter or death.

SOME of us were never fooled by your bullshit

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

whypick1 posted:

"Hmmm, how can we piss off our current players *and* anyone we might want to sign in the near future?"

I really don't get the outrage on this, Sunday's game is meaningless to Chicago so they absolutely should play the kids/people they want to keep next year, people who will be looking for a new club are better off knowing that ASAP and not risking themselves, and yeah Columbus theoretically could make the playoffs with the right results on Sunday but it's really not a plausible enough outcome to worry about (needs NYRB to lose at Nashville, DC to not win at Toronto, AND a 7 goal swing between the NSH-RBNY and CLB-CHI results).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

At halftime in one of last night's games Twellman went off about how like seven Fire players (including 6 regular starters) who'd been told they wouldn't be back next year were refusing to play/didn't feel like playing vs. Columbus on Sunday.

Turns out 6 of them will be travelling with the team anyway (Calvo is joining his international team early) and presumably available for selection (though unlikely to be since Klopas should absolutely play the kids/evaluate talent for next year), so OP deleted their tweet since, I guess, Twellman had exaggerated the situation.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Don't they have English commentary via SAP? You almost certainly won't want to HEAR it but it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why does Seattle get a spot? Is it because they won the last USOC 3 years ago?

After they gave up on having a USOC this year they also gave up on pretending Atlanta deserved the USOC holder's spot and just gave it to the Next Team Up in the MLS standings - which turned out to be Seattle.