Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Edward Mass posted:

So....what's the triangle signify?

Serious answer: It's the outline of Ohio's flag, which is officially a burgee, turned a quarter turn and stylized.

Alternate answer: "We're MLS and we're taking the mid 2000s NASCAR approach to modernize ourselves in the hopes it will draw some casuals in who will treat soccer as a fad and get bored with it in 5 years because :lol: hardcore fans, you're not going to stop watching."

(Narrator: it backfired horribly for NASCAR)

E- I don't know what the triangle inside the outline is meant to represent.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Renaissance Spam posted:

Do you have a link or something for what happened with Nascar? I love leaning about marketing failures like that.

To quote Vic Mackey from the series finale of The Shield when asked about his crimes, "How much time do you have?":

Take your pick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2BILMQHZ6A
(some of these rule changes like the caution clock and overtime line were walked back, but we NASCAR fans hated them anyway and this was the tip of the iceberg)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwIXUHruEaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igP1Q-KMO6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFyuHSaB4iw

For more, search things like "NASCAR what happened" and "Brian France failure" on YouTube.

e- TL;DR, Brian France took NASCAR over in 2004 and immediately ripped one of NASCAR's most iconic races (The Southern 500 on Labor Day weekend) out of town and gave its race date to a track in the LA Basin*, implemented a new championship system (which went through 5 revisions in 11 years), spearheaded the effort to create a new racecar no one liked, created a second new racecar which cost teams money, and added infinite other gimmicks before he got busted for a DUI and drug possession and mercy fired, at which point things leveled off and have started to rebound.

*The analog in MLS would've been had #SaveTheCrew failed. "We're the sanctioning body and, even though the Crew were our first franchise, everybody has a pants tent for Austin right now and you haven't sold out every game since 1996 so, to cash the gently caress in, we're going to aid the owner in moving the franchise to Austin even though fans from around the league aren't here for it. Plus, we'll always have our hardcore fans because they're whipped, so you may hate it, but all the new fans we're going to suck in are going to love it and be here forever, so quit whining and #ATX."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 12, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Isn't no small part of NASCAR's problem that the France family still runs it with an iron first and thus they just do whatever the hell they want when it comes to rules and regulations with no consultation?

Effectively. I went back and updated my post with a TL;DR, but when you have a Commissioner/President/GM/Team Owner who is omnipotent and pawns what's worked and the loyal fans to try and grab as many casuals as they can, bad things happen. The 2004 Labor-Day-race-to-California snafu is a great example- they tried to "modernize tradition" (literally the buzz phrase surrounding the move) to get SoCal to go NASCAR crazy but, after seven years, the whole thing flopped and the race was moved to Atlanta (they still weren't smart enough to give the date back to Darlington until 2015).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

loving lol that the folks in Columbus decided to gently caress over their legacy fans in favor of being more boring for the sake of a focus group of people that are never going to watch the games anyway.

Like a cheap tent:
https://twitter.com/ColumbusCrew/status/1394472920534106115/photo/1

...a cheap tent which probably spent a lot of money to be what, in its infinite wisdom, thought was a nice tent, only to wind up folding anyway.