Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DeathSandwich posted:

But he actually has an arc and winds up doing some really cool poo poo by the end of it.

Yeah, he absolutely leans into the awful rolls and Leiland is so awesome at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
Thanks everyone! I'll be sure up check these all out. Started Total Forgiveness today and I'm really enjoying it. Looking forward to the bullshit they put one another through.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Jaxts posted:

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure up check these all out. Started Total Forgiveness today and I'm really enjoying it. Looking forward to the bullshit they put one another through.
When you get to Grant's stand up show, make sure to watch the full recording too

It's all love

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

theCalamity posted:

They've been making new Um, Actually, Game Changer (one of them had Giancarlo Esposito on it), and, most recently, new Breaking News

poo poo, have the gotten Amy Vorpahl back yet? Her inability to keep a straight face and skill at dragging everyone else down with her always made for great episodes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

poo poo, have the gotten Amy Vorpahl back yet? Her inability to keep a straight face and skill at dragging everyone else down with her always made for great episodes.

Yes, they did... A Cavalcade of Carreys with bonus puppeteering!

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

Last episode of mice and murder!

what the gently caress Rekha

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Roll of Quarters posted:

Last episode of mice and murder!

what the gently caress Rekha

Watching Brennan trying to help her save face was a highlight of all of Dimension 20. Christ Rekha!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
With Crit Role being done for their current campaign I've been going back and watching some of the other D&D games on here and I started on Fantasy high and goddamn I'm shocked how talented Brennan is at this.

I just finished the episode where they ended in the old Mithril factory. I'm loving loving how all the parents have been personified. I wound up getting spoiled on Gilear so I kind of know his arc, but it's hillarious just to see first hand the party taking pity on him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Having finally watched the last episode and accompanying cast chat for Mice & Murder, I have to echo the earlier "what the gently caress, Rehka"? She was probably feeling a lot of pressure despite Brennan's best intentions when he was saying "do what you think your character would do, and we'll work out the rolls afterwards" since she was on the spot for a really important beat, and had to come up with something on her own. Still, between that and Gangie calling Buckster "dad" despite having almost no relationship with the character it did feel like the cast let the humor and silliness get the best of them right at the finish line, and it undercut the finale just a little. It was still a really strong showing regardless, minor gripes aside.

Brennan did a great job setting up the mystery, and I'd be happy to see more of that style of play at some point down the line. The only thing I thought felt a little odd about it was that no-one noticed or could detect what is essentially taxidermy. You'd think a former doctor and current investigator like Sylvester would notice that in some way, and Cottonbottom's plan to "resurrect" Connor would presumably have a slight snag when he would have no reason to not go "Uh, I wasn't dead so it's not occult; I was just locked up for several months and would appreciate someone finding out why". The whole thing hung together really well regardless though, and I'm sure you could come up with some justifications for those minor quibbles. The fact Brennan was willing to burn the whole thing if someone solved it, or even just lucked into it early, and change the tone and style completely should it come to it is great DM'ing though.

Jaxts posted:

I decided to subscribe, and I know about D20, um actually, and the other shows people talk about.

What are the hidden gems? There's a lot of content here.

One show no-one has recommended that's kind of fun is Raph's Hall of Fame. It could as well be a podcast as a show honestly, since it's just Raph in a room talking to one or two guests about some sports personality or event they think is cool, and trying to convince him it's worthy of attention. There's not even any fancy graphics or anything. I like it though, and I say that as someone with little to no interest in sports for the most part. It's basically just a conversation with the people involved having some fun riffing on poo poo, and doesn't require any iintimate knowledge of whatever sport is involved.

Raph finds out about the Skeleton for instance, after someone talks to him about how a woman in the UK wanted to do something on the Olympic level and picked that, despite having no experience and no real way to train, then has multiple problems on the day of the actual competitions with various medical issues and still manages to do really well and Raph mostly reacts with horror to the idea of doing a sport like the Skeleton, and then convinces himself he could do it too. No problem. While the guest constantly points out how unrealistic that is to her experience of him as a person.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 13, 2021

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

tsob posted:

Having finally watched the last episode and accompanying cast chat for Mice & Murder, I have to echo the earlier "what the gently caress, Rehka"? She was probably feeling a lot of pressure despite Brennan's best intentions when he was saying "do what you think your character would do, and we'll work out the rolls afterwards" since she was on the spot for a really important beat, and had to come up with something on her own. Still, between that and Gangie calling Buckster "dad" despite having almost no relationship with the character it did feel like the cast let the humor and silliness get the best of them right at the finish line, and it undercut the finale just a little. It was still a really strong showing regardless, minor gripes aside.

I know it's a minor gripe, but I wholeheartedly disagree

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

tsob posted:

Agree, though I can't say I mind it. Crown of Candy is probably the first game they've done in which they actually got away from the straight up comedy tone – the first half goes to a dark place where there's still comedy, but there's a real investment there.

The other obvious example is [spoilers for Bloodkeep] where Brennan meant for the final battle to be PvP, but the episode before one of the characters has a baby and they all swear allegiance to being best friends forever. It's hard as hell to break the organic conclusion of players who know they need to work together, let alone players who know they have to help bring the train into the station for a broadcast show.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

While I can totally understand the concern about the finale of Mice and Murder, it's as Brennan says at one point during all the madness: "This is the season with the all CollegeHumor cast. No, this is how it was supposed to end." :v: And, I mean...

That said, totally enjoyed the absolutely rollercoaster of a finale. Some very excellent moments.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

While I can totally understand the concern about the finale of Mice and Murder, it's as Brennan says at one point during all the madness: "This is the season with the all CollegeHumor cast. No, this is how it was supposed to end." :v: And, I mean...

That said, totally enjoyed the absolutely rollercoaster of a finale. Some very excellent moments.

Will say in his defense, it's pretty clear he intended for Sylvester to die at that one point, after they rolled for crap. He miscalculated how much falling damage does and had plotted out how Sylvester dying would work out only to have that yoinked away from him.. The nature of the show and players means everyone's kind of working towards a light romp of an ending, for better or worse.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/dimension20show/status/1405209807733334017

hell yea

big summer for Aabria between crit role and this

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea incredibly hype for that, fun Dimension 20 take on Hogwarts, great cast, Brenan playing for once, Aabria running the show, all fantastic news. I was kinda hoping for more Crown of Candy because I was pretty sure they'd do a 'sequel' after Mice and Murder but boy was I glad to be wrong

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

sexpig by night posted:

Yea incredibly hype for that, fun Dimension 20 take on Hogwarts, great cast, Brenan playing for once, Aabria running the show, all fantastic news. I was kinda hoping for more Crown of Candy because I was pretty sure they'd do a 'sequel' after Mice and Murder but boy was I glad to be wrong

The Summer of Traditional DMs what get to be players on their own show.

Also that looks like an amazing lineup. Erika Ishii has been a great player in everything I've seen her in.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I've only seen her in Escape from the Bloodkeep, but she was fantastic as not!Shelob in that, one part proud but weird mom to one part drunk aunt who's everyone's best friend. I'm really looking forward to seeing her in this because she was so good in Bloodkeep, along with Brennan as a player. I'm really hoping the fact Aabria is back on D20 means that there's more Pirates of Leviathan in the wings at some point however. The first season of it was fantastic, and I'd love to see more of it at some point.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 18, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tsob posted:

I've only seen her in Escape from the Bloodkeep, but she was fantastic as not!Shelob in that, one part proud but weird mom to one part drunk aunt who's everyone's best friend. I'm really looking forward to seeing her in this because she was so good in Bloodkeep, along with Brennan as a player. I'm really hoping the fact Aabria is back on D20 means that there's more Pirates of Leviathan in the wings at some point however. The first season of it was fantastic, and I'd love to see more of it at some point.

You ought to go watch the Geek and Sundry Vampire game she's in. It's pretty melodramatic (it is a Vampire the Masquerade game in fact) but she does kill it in that.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 18, 2021

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

tsob posted:

I desperately want another Pirates but with everyone playing together in the dome.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TotalHell posted:

I desperately want another Pirates but with everyone playing together in the dome.

I just watched the special crew edition of Adventuring Party that went up a few days ago, and found out that Carlos Luna was part of the cast behind this season, which is cool. That's two of the Pirates of Leviathan crew doing work on the show now, so hopefully they'll pull everyone back in eventually for at least one more season. That aside, I also watched the latest episode of Um, Actually! earlier and I think Erika might be one of my favorite contestants on it just because of how expressive and passionate she gets. Her trying to scream her way to an answer, and partially succeeding was amazing to watch. I also realized after a bit of searching that I was under a Mandela effect moment where I attributed one of my favorite moments in the show to her, when she was just one of the other contestants on the episode and it's actually Becca Scott is the contestant I was thinking of in the moment. Erika steals a point out from under her in an early season 2 episode, and Becca just slips off the couch despondently in a really fun moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLGc7VL0HUM&t=287s

It's also always slightly depressing when someone fails to get any points on the show and every time it gets to about the half way point and someone is scoreless I find myself rooting for them to pull out a point at every turn, so Maude getting one at the last second in this episode by pointing out a fault even Trapp hadn't anticipated is great.

That aside, I don't know if anyone else her watches the Nando v Movies stuff on YouTube, but he talked recently on one of his streams about how he just filmed an episode of Um, Actually! even if probably won't air for a few months so far as he knows. Which should be fun, at least if the subject of comics or movies comes up at least a bit, so it's slightly in his wheelhouse. Apparently he just took a chance as a fan of the show and sent a message to them on Twitter asking to be on the show, and they got back to him a while later asking if he still wanted to do so.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Something I reminded myself of when I saw this had its own thread:

The first thing I ever saw from Brennan Lee Mulligan was his webcomic Strong Female Protagonist with Molly Ostertag, which appears to be the rare case of a webcomic going on permanent hiatus because both its creators got too successful for it.

https://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-8/hiatus-2/

I went on a reread a while back after I realized the connection, and it's sort of fun seeing hints of ideas that show up in small ways in D20 campaigns.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

tsob posted:

Erika also appears on Matt Mercer's Monster Hearts one shot and is pretty amazing in that (alongside Ally Beardsley)

Misfits and Magic ep 1 is pretty cool so far, fun watching Brennan as a player and the rest of the cast is pretty much perfect as well. Aabria is nailing it

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I've yet to watch the premier episode of Misfits & Magic, which I'll probably watch later today but I watched a few things on Dropout yesterday and I've of two minds on the spate of improvisational bits on Breaking News. It seems like a lot of the episodes this season have the ticker read something akin to "read this line aloud, grab a thing from nearby and talk about it for x amount of time". Which, is great in some ways because it plays to the cast's strength as improv comedians and usually ends up with more corpsing as the cast break down over the silliness they end up saying. However, a lot of the time in ends up being inane lists or them "ummm" and "aahhing" as they attempt to come up with stuff on the spot, and the show's inherent ridiculousness of "try to stay composed as you read out this idiotic thing you haven't seen" is kind of lost.

Also, I don't know how many people watch the Dorkly Bits shows, which are mostly 2 or 3 minute shorts about "what if this Pokemon acted like it does in it's Pokedex description" or "What if Mario was a bit more real in x way" but some of the Mario ones are pretty fun and I just noticed in the latest one that Sam is voicing Bowser. I don't think he's voiced Bowser on them before, but I love his Bowser because he gives Bowser a rather refined accent that makes him sound like an upper class dandy and some one who doesn't even realize how much of a dick he is.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

brennan's entire demeanor when he's talking about how the pig at the butcher's shop told him that god and the devil killed one another

and then the callback later when erika's chipmunk casually says god died long ago

absolutely fantastic

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

eke out posted:

brennan's entire demeanor when he's talking about how the pig at the butcher's shop told him that god and the devil killed one another

and then the callback later when erika's chipmunk casually says god died long ago

absolutely fantastic

The whole Kelmp thing is amazing, and the season seems to be heading towards attacking and dethroning the powers that be in the wizarding world. The character interactions have all been amazing. I really want more episodes of this one.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

seaborgium posted:

The whole Kelmp thing is amazing, and the season seems to be heading towards attacking and dethroning the powers that be in the wizarding world. The character interactions have all been amazing. I really want more episodes of this one.

Kelmp is incredibly compelling and if I had to guess he's possessed by a demon given the whole Cobra Blood as a somewhat normal occurrence thing. I love all the character interactions and how they vibe with each other. Kelmp is a lot to deal with both with his personality and with the narrative of the story - but they give everyone else time to do their thing too. If it was just Brennan becoming increasingly more unhinged with no counterbalance I don't think I'd be as interested.

I did get Dropout the other day to watch Misfits and the more recent D20 stuff. I did get a laugh when I watched the post-Bloodkeep episode of Adventuring Academy with Matt, Trapp, and Rekha. I laughed my rear end off when Brennan casually mentioned that since Hamhead was a tertiary objective who's only real goal in the volcano battle was to leave, Brennan gave her the statblock of a storm giant as a goof, not expecting her to be the crux of the first half of the story. It wasn't until Matt said "... but then I see Hamhead..." that he realized how incredible the result was going to be.

So now that I've got Dropout I'm going to start working my way through d20 stuff and the newer Breaking News and Game changers. What else should I be lookin at while I'm here. Any of the podcasts worth getting into?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 13, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

DeathSandwich posted:

So now that I've got Dropout I'm going to start working my way through d20 stuff and the newer Breaking News and Game changers. What else should I be lookin at while I'm here. Any of the podcasts worth getting into?

Emily and Murph's dnd podcast is pretty adjacent to d20, so that might be worth checking out. Otherwise, closet other podcast stuff are going to be the talkback programs d20 does.

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
I think my favorite moment so far of Misfits is Brennan's slow sad look ahead when Kelmp is asked if he has a best friend.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jaxts posted:

I think my favorite moment so far of Misfits is Brennan's slow sad look ahead when Kelmp is asked if he has a best friend.

There is great interplay between the high energy exuberance of Jammer and Sam, Kelmp saying things that are extremely sad and/or cursed, and Dream oscillating rapidly between deciding if she wants to be mean or horny at the latter.

Edit speaking of Kelmp, new short up. https://youtu.be/K-3vXHCEzEk

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 14, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oh my loving god i never caught the end of mice and murder and it's incredible

"Your ex-girlfriend shits in your face and then you fall and you're fine"

literally 20 minutes of buildup, tons of saves to try to desperately figure out how he could not die, and the fall just doesn't do enough damage lmfao

villain yelling "what is wrong with you you horrible freaks"

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Looks like a new Breaking News filtered down to the Youtube channel for people that don't have Dropout. Another one of Amy being Amy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8gl7q_ohk

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The other castmembers egging her on to do the face killed me. You know as soon as you see Amy it's going to be a good one.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Watched a bit of Misfits & Magic Episode 3 when I was on my lunch break. The interactions between Jammer and Kelmp continue to be the best. Evan telling the kid that Jammer was going to dribble him down the classroom like his basketball was absolutely hillarious.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Watched a bit of Misfits & Magic Episode 3 when I was on my lunch break. The interactions between Jammer and Kelmp continue to be the best. Evan telling the kid that Jammer was going to dribble him down the classroom like his basketball was absolutely hillarious.

brendan playing kelmp's constantly increasing rage that all these magical people won't just be polite and decent is so good

also the entire scene where Aabria's npc wants to say something true but you have to promise you won't beat me up for it, and brennan's character absolutely refusing to promise he won't be violent "Say what you're gonna say"

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
I just got dropout so I'm not caught up on any of the shows but I'm following along the misfits show so far and it's really good. Jammer stopping the line to hit on a girl he likes and then telling the next guy to gently caress off killed me

Cartoon Hell has been pretty good so far too it has a fun vibe of people just hanging out bullshitting with eachother.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

DeathSandwich posted:

There is great interplay between the high energy exuberance of Jammer and Sam, Kelmp saying things that are extremely sad and/or cursed, and Dream oscillating rapidly between deciding if she wants to be mean or horny at the latter.

I'm still catching up on M&M but one of my favorite gags so far has been Evan saying something incredibly sad/horrifying then the camera panning over to Dream biting her wand so hard it looks like she's going to break it in half

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 17, 2021

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

It gets so much better.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Watching the last episode of M&M now. I love that Dream goes full Disney Princess for the last episode.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

DeathSandwich posted:

Watching the last episode of M&M now. I love that Dream goes full Disney Princess for the last episode.

I loved her evolution into Eldritch Disney Princess and Kelmp's realization that that is definitely His Thing. Erika KILLED it with Dream's voice; the way she jumped between saccharine princess and angry goth and started to blend the two is just :kiss:

My other favorite moment was Lou Wilson as Jammer getting them SO. loving. PUMPED. that the players needed to take a breather afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I just loved the line "What would you like me to tell your family?" Followed by the whole competing school packing up and just noping out of the tournament.