Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wungus posted:

I'm happy to be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's just a magician's flourish because he likes magic.

Nah, he does the look-down exactly as he says 'Sam Reich' every time, it has to be deliberately timed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MikeJF posted:

It surprised me we didn't get a Brennan rant about how the game's lack of agency didn't make sense early on. (Because each ball applied to all three, it didn't matter if you completed a challenge or not - it would help the game end sooner, but wouldn't give you any advantage over the other two. There was no way for the base level players to actually try to win. That had to have been bugging him)

It's the kind of thing where I think Grant, Katie and Raph might have been less likely to notice based on what I've seen of them and maybe that's why they were the original lineup, but Brennan almost certainly did and just happened not to comment on it.

i mean, he doesn't have to lampshade that there's going to be a twist for him to still suspect there's a twist

him bringing it up later was more in confusion that the twist hadn't actually been revealed yet

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Spiteski posted:

I'm very very glad we had Brennan instead. He's the perfect patsy for this sort of game.

This game is especially funny for him because he has absolutely no agency. He's literally just a pawn for someone else's game which goes so against his personality. A great episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It surprised me we didn't get a Brennan rant about how the game's lack of agency didn't make sense early on. (Because each ball applied to all three, it didn't matter if you completed a challenge or not - it would help the game end sooner, but wouldn't give you any advantage over the other two. There was no way for the base level players to actually try to win. That had to have been bugging him)

It's the kind of thing where I think Grant, Katie and Raph might have been less likely to notice based on what I've seen of them and maybe that's why they were the original lineup, but Brennan almost certainly did and just happened not to comment on it.

Nah, Katie got suspicious before even Brennan this time

EDIT: On the idea of Sam being a contestant, though, I did read a comment on one of the YouTube shorts that was dead on: The way to really do it, is get Sam to agree to appear on Um Actually or Dirty Laundry and then Ify or Lily or Grant launch into the Game Changer spiel and the set is pulled away to reveal the Game Changer set.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 9, 2024

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, Katie got suspicious before even Brennan this time

EDIT: On the idea of Sam being a contestant, though, I did read a comment on one of the YouTube shorts that was dead on: The way to really do it, is get Sam to agree to appear on Um Actually or Dirty Laundry and then Ify or Lily or Grant launch into the Game Changer spiel and the set is pulled away to reveal the Game Changer set.

There’s an interesting question about creative control here. I wonder how much control he wants of the show. It’s obviously HIS show and his company. He’d have to agree to a “secret” Gamechanger episode where he agrees to let go.

Unless it’s like a “bootleg” gamechanger episode orchestrated by one of the other shows.

Not saying Sam is a megalomaniac, just curious about their creative process.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
But even if Sam is a megalomanic, at least he's funny with it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i've seen the man chained to an overhead pipe and zapped with an electric gun a couple dozen times for a breaking news episode, as well as people venmoing themselves a few thousand dollars total for another episode. i think getting a game changer sprung on himself is on the table, it's just figuring out exactly how to organize it

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Wungus posted:

I'm happy to be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's just a magician's flourish because he likes magic.

Sam confirmed on the discord that it's not some big payoff. He of course could be lying but-

Sam Reich posted:

i swear on everything that is holy, i am doing that as on stage shtick (relating to the sam reich / sam daltong swap) but for no other reason. there's no payoff! i'm sorry!!!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do increasingly like the idea of it being Grant on the set of Dirty Laundry, just because you know he'd love the theatre of being in his bartender outfit, and suddenly the apron and shirt tear away to reveal a blazer and tiny microphone.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
personally I'm rooting for it to be Brennan's revenge

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Sam confirmed on the discord that it's not some big payoff. He of course could be lying but-

So the payoff is next season. I see.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Did assume it had to do with last season's finale plot, but legit shocked if they didn't follow up that plot line for this season.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Sam reich confirmed for biggest liar in the history of liars

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I mean you can't trust a man from...

where's he from again?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Shout out to the game changer folks on the second tier, there was something especially funny about them because I'm not entirely sure they knew they were on camera for all of it. All of the PA interactions had the little stilted touches of real people. Rekha missing the fist-bump is exactly the sort of small, forgettable thing I'd overthink and then turn cold with dread seeing played back to me on video.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I feel so bad for the poor PA. She was really put on the spot but she killed it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Talorat posted:

I feel so bad for the poor PA. She was really put on the spot but she killed it.

She's not a regular PA, she's a comedian on her own Sam pulled in the others didn't know.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

MikeJF posted:

She's not a regular PA, she's a comedian on her own Sam pulled in the others didn't know.

:lol:

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I don't think you can have a Game Changer where people get revenge on Sam for the same reason you can't have a Taskmaster where the contestants judge Greg. You have to do the revenge on other programs. Part of what makes it work is the helplessness of the contestants and the possibility of revenge at some point in the future would probably disrupt that.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Eh, the game changes every episode.

Could be done, just have him start at the podium and then swap places with a player. Feels like something that could happen in a future season for some reason or another. Pretty easy to slot "Hello I'm your... player, Sam Reich. Grant come out here," etc.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023
I was hoping that somebody would forcibly take over the game on that Sam Says where he tells the players to do their own prompt.

"Ah, I didn't say the trigger phrase was 'Sam Says' again. That's one point away from Sam."

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

They're all seemingly talented enough to avoid the Michael Scott School of Improv.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

They're all seemingly talented enough to avoid the Michael Scott School of Improv.

This is sort of true, except that having an adversarial relationship with Sam, trying to break the game or guess the twist early, and having some kind of player solidarity against him has set the tone and provided some of the humor for a bunch of Game Changer episodes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently they threw this together with an hour's notice.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

'says something in spanish' doesn't immediately strike me as a Brennan thing. Did they pick a hard one for the diagonal or am I forgetting something?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Could be done, just have him start at the podium and then swap places with a player. Feels like something that could happen in a future season for some reason or another. Pretty easy to slot "Hello I'm your... player, Sam Reich. Grant come out here," etc.

I could see that, though less at the start and obviously not Sam being surprised at that point but Sam doing it to deliberately gently caress with a specific person (probably Brennan) by doing the normal intro and then the first round starting with him asking the player to come over to him before handing the player his mic and then taking that player's podium; have him set up a poison chalice style game, where giving the contestant control is really the actual game in some fashion. I'm not even sure what you'd do at that point, but leaving someone to flounder as they struggle to understand the rules of the game Sam has set up while ostensibly in control of it as Sam just plays along seems like it'd be fun.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Bobulus posted:

'says something in spanish' doesn't immediately strike me as a Brennan thing. Did they pick a hard one for the diagonal or am I forgetting something?

We have such sights to show you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY5j7Sptd5Q

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Bobulus posted:

Brennan was raised partly alongside a Spanish-speaking family iirc. If you watch his Who Wants To Be a Millionaire run, you see him reference Spanish to help answer one of the questions.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

MikeJF posted:

Apparently they threw this together with an hour's notice.

I'm amazed that they fabricated the board that fast. Never mind the categories, just printing it out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like the odd one out is actually 'Get in the comments!' which I think he's consciously avoided even in his last few appearances on Um Actually.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like the odd one out is actually 'Get in the comments!' which I think he's consciously avoided even in his last few appearances on Um Actually.

Yeah, I was thinking I hadn't heard him say that in a long time, maybe years.

What surprised me was he did absolutely zero speculation, even well into the game. If he knew what the game was going in, he did a good performance of having a "breakdown" at the end of the episode.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I'm hoping that one day they will do one with all their most paranoid contestants with everything indicating that there is some kind of twist, and then there is no actual twist. All edging.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

boxen posted:

What surprised me was he did absolutely zero speculation, even well into the game. If he knew what the game was going in, he did a good performance of having a "breakdown" at the end of the episode.

He and Katie do speculate several times that the bingo game isn't winnable, and they do show him clearly suspicious that Sam's wrapping things up despite none of them having bingo.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

boxen posted:

He didn't the person who mentioned that just misheard him.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Brennan probably went in way less suspicious than usual because he was expecting a game built for Grant, not him. Sam wouldn't mess with Grant the way he would with Brennan, Brennan's worst fear was probably Grant's mom coming out at one point.

It probably took him longer to start analyzing the fundamental concept of the game and his lack of agency because of that, if he figured everyone was as much off kilter from losing Grant for some planned bit as he was from getting pulled in from his DnD Dome. It's Katie who starts it.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Looking close, I think that the real physical stamp used on Brennan’s bingo card is a stamp of Grant, compared to the Katie and Raph stamps for their respective cards, and so on.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Win Sam Reich's Money

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Morrow posted:

Brennan probably went in way less suspicious than usual because he was expecting a game built for Grant, not him. Sam wouldn't mess with Grant the way he would with Brennan, Brennan's worst fear was probably Grant's mom coming out at one point.

It probably took him longer to start analyzing the fundamental concept of the game and his lack of agency because of that, if he figured everyone was as much off kilter from losing Grant for some planned bit as he was from getting pulled in from his DnD Dome. It's Katie who starts it.

Sam wouldn’t do it because he’s “a good boss” and “respectful of others’ creative boundaries” but pulling Brennan in particular an hour before the episode for a hyper-specific Brennan torture episode would be the perfect way to get him not thinking straight

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
With Brennan being pulled in late, I wonder if he was internally speculating the entire time that the whole last-minute substitution part was a bit and so was trying to play it cool.
Turns out no, he was but a pawn in a larger game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Was going to try to go to the Madison Garden show with some New York buds. Cheapest ticket is currently going for........ $886.

Egad.

edit: fwiw this is resale market, but even people who got in apparently were spending $150 for the cheap seats.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 12, 2024