Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

LemonRind posted:

And that isn't discounting that they managed to finish the written portion right as the next wave was ready to come out. If they didn't I bet the outcome would have been much different.

Yep, this was huge. Another set of monsters (likely even scarier than what they've seen) could have caused a very rapid failure cascade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think that's a record for breaking Vic so fast.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The president, Joe Biden.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

bunnyofdoom posted:

So my friend I keep trying to get a dropout sub came over for bad movie night tonight. After two movies, we dropout watched. I think I got her. I think I got her with True Facts of Grant 3, Denzel, and Vic's ex-step Grandma

Denzel and Ex-Step-Grandmother are definitely my go-tos for hooking friends. That and Sam Says 3.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wungus posted:

I hope it works out for them. I have absolutely no interest in subscribing (and even if I did, they don't have an easy way to watch that fits into my watch habits) but if they're able to make a living without giving money to Google/Youtube and without needing to format their content in a way that satisfies the bullshit whims of advertisers, hell yeah. If only 1% of the current Watcher Youtube subscribers sign up for $5/mo, that's still something like $1,740,000 a year, which hopefully is enough to let some weirdos go make weird videos as a career.

Like I'm done with them now, but hey, at least it means I don't have to get excited about a new Too Many Spirits again only to realize 65% of the episode is focused on how loving annoying Steven Lim is.

I'm incredibly grateful goons are sensible about this stuff because the sheer amount of entitled whining from people about this is insane and has a seriously gross air of "gently caress you for wanting paid for your work, do it for The Art and starve".

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Sure. It’s more the talking around it. The “we need money!” into the one upcoming show being Steve Lin flying around the world eating expensive food is wildly tonedeaf. “If you can’t come with us, all the best, but for everyone who wants to…” isn’t much better. Plus “anyone can afford it!” is a big ask from a mostly millennial and student based viewership. Dropout's been going for much longer and has been pumping out (good, consistent) content, and notably has been like. Smarter about hires? Iirc everyone but Sam and Brennan are contract but Watcher has 25 full timers.

e: Sorry, I meant when they pivoted to Dropout following College Humor's demolition.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 20, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Sure. It’s more the talking around it. The “we need money!” into the one upcoming show being Steve Lin flying around the world eating expensive food is wildly tonedeaf. “If you can’t come with us, all the best, but for everyone who wants to…” isn’t much better. Plus “anyone can afford it!” is a big ask from a mostly millennial and student based viewership. Dropout's been going for much longer and has been pumping out (good, consistent) content, and notably has been like. Smarter about hires? Iirc everyone but Sam and Brennan are contract but Watcher has 25 full timers.

I believe Dropout has 7 or 8 full time staff, including Brennan and Sam.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Gaz-L posted:

I believe Dropout has 7 or 8 full time staff, including Brennan and Sam.

I think most of the full timers they have besides those two are crew or people you need to run a company or production staff they are always going to need.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

seaborgium posted:

I think most of the full timers they have besides those two are crew or people you need to run a company or production staff they are always going to need.

its literally all production, art, and business side staff yea. they've talked about it a few times but the full time people are integral to keeping the gears moving. i think this year as they keep growing they're going to add another creative or two to the full time staff

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Holy poo poo we are getting six shows this week. Game changer, um actually, d20, adventuring party, last looks and the new series smartypants.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Holy poo poo we are getting six shows this week. Game changer, um actually, d20, adventuring party, last looks and the new series smartypants.

I dunno why they had to specify Grant on Um Actually when they already said the Try Guys were on the episode :v:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/samreich/status/1782467624359641529

Is this gonna be the payoff of the "I've been here the whole time?" *looks at hands* bit? Looks like a crazy episode either way

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh I wonder what Brennan would have done if one of the players had caught up on The Seven and been all oh poo poo did you say Tectonya? She's in her office? Zelda/Penny/Whoever told us about her when they were talking about their adventures! She's trustworthy, has a responsibility to the school, and Aguefort-level powerful! poo poo, let's go tell Tectonya everything that's happened this season.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 22, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spiteski posted:

https://twitter.com/samreich/status/1782467624359641529

Is this gonna be the payoff of the "I've been here the whole time?" *looks at hands* bit? Looks like a crazy episode either way

I’m pretty sure Sam said on Reddit there’s no payoff to that it’s just something he does. People have found him doing it in other seasons too apparently.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sam, if that is his real name, is a liar.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
New ep is up and... oh dear, I can already see where we're going.

...is Dropout subject to the Geneva Convention? Asking for a friend

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I have never done acid but I suspect this is how it feels

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
This is my favorite Grant O'brien appearance to date.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

New thread title.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Strong use of other cast in this one too. BDG, Josh, Grant/Zac, SungWon

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I want this on a t-shirt.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I was genuinely expecting the end of that episode to be interfering with the wenis dance so Sam wouldn't kick the camera but I'm cool with how it ended. Gonna call my shot and say that the BTS will show that they had a contingency for that.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I did find the fixitman78 channel but sadly the discord, patron, etc. links don't work. I was hoping for some old school ARG insanity!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

inthesto posted:

I was genuinely expecting the end of that episode to be interfering with the wenis dance so Sam wouldn't kick the camera but I'm cool with how it ended. Gonna call my shot and say that the BTS will show that they had a contingency for that.

I'm wondering if the actual ending that happened was the contingency and they were supposed to stop it

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm sad that I just changed my avatar because "the wenis is a dance" has sent me.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I was a little sad that Zac's Grant's movie trivia facts weren't called back, but otherwise delightfully unhinged

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'm glad i successfully predicted that participating in the wenis dance was entirely optional and awarded no points

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Next season they should do 30 minutes of really obvious repeating bits like that but then the twist is that it doesn't repeat, that's just the end. Definitely put Brennan on that one

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

timp posted:

Next season they should do 30 minutes of really obvious repeating bits like that but then the twist is that it doesn't repeat, that's just the end. Definitely put Brennan on that one

Correction: they should have this exact cast back and have them do another round.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Correction: they should have this exact cast back and have them do another round.

I like this but it needs to start with the first three trivia questions in the third loop, just to really mess with them when they get asked about chemical elements, nobel prize winners and world capitals

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

i was surprised to see who fixitman78 was. i hope they get to be on dropout more. i bet they would make a wonderful contestant on um actually

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

NinetySevenA posted:

i was surprised to see who fixitman78 was. i hope they get to be on dropout more. i bet they would make a wonderful contestant on um actually

Do I have news for you

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

something's off about that ending there

nerox
May 20, 2001

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Remembering what the values of X, Y, Z and A and the number of beans in the jar after a year would be delightfully cruel.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Great episode, and all the VHS static effects (and corrupted name plaques) were a lot of fun. I do wonder if there was an alternate ending scenario gamed out where someone just tackles Sam so he can't kick the camera.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Great episode, and all the VHS static effects (and corrupted name plaques) were a lot of fun. I do wonder if there was an alternate ending scenario gamed out where someone just tackles Sam so he can't kick the camera.

The crew member/performer with the camera would probably just be 'startled' and drop it.

I did see someone on Reddit suggest that the group could've washed/found a fork for Grant, and I'd suspect that was a contingency Sam prepared. (The movie trivia never coming back around was also brilliantly frustrating)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 23, 2024

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Gaz-L posted:

The crew member/performer with the camera would probably just be 'startled' and drop it.

The secret ending during the wenis dance is Brennan coming out, grabbing Sam by the legs and yelling "Dance is a sin".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Trapp also posted on Reddit that he was thinking the show was going to be about memory but not in the way it ended up, but more remembering stuff like "what did Siobhan say for her wrong answer in round 1", "what did Sam mess up during his intro" kind of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I was also thinking there had to be a trick to the clown. Like, his shoes were just as black and glossy as the balloons, maybe you can to pop his shoe and the prize would be in that?

One random element isn't the end of the world, though.