Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Something I reminded myself of when I saw this had its own thread:

The first thing I ever saw from Brennan Lee Mulligan was his webcomic Strong Female Protagonist with Molly Ostertag, which appears to be the rare case of a webcomic going on permanent hiatus because both its creators got too successful for it.

https://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-8/hiatus-2/

I went on a reread a while back after I realized the connection, and it's sort of fun seeing hints of ideas that show up in small ways in D20 campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/dimension20show/status/1455950402663313414

New M&M "Holiday Special" one-shot in December, followed by the core cast doing a science-fiction game, A Starstruck Odyssey, in January.

Fun fact: the original Starstruck was a stage play written by Brennan's mother Elaine Lee, which was later adapted into a series of comics at Marvel's Epic imprint, then Heavy Metal magazine and IDW. So the next big D20 campaign is Brennan playing with his mother's toys, as it were.

I only know Starstruck from the 1985 comic, which is a really strange read; it's one of those sexy distant futures with tons of unexplained argot, so it's a lot of work to get through it. I have no idea how it could be usefully adapted to a tabletop setting.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

When I heard about this, I went to go check out some of the original Starstruck comics, and from there migrated over to see what else Elaine Lee has written.

One of her other projects is a Vertigo comic from the mid-'90s called Vamps which is one of the most, I don't know, decadently nihilistic things I've ever read? It's about a biker gang of vampires roaming across the US killing whoever they come across.

It's sort of hilarious to watch the interviews with Lee on D20 and realize, "Oh, she's the one who wrote that comic about all the sexy murders."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

There's a new season announcement for D20 tomorrow morning. The only hints they've given is that nobody will see it coming and that it's not an "intrepid heroes" season, which is to say, not the original six cast members.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I've been going back to try and finish the first volume of Unsleeping City, and I'd forgotten that what got me to nope out on it the first time was how nobody in it really understood tactics.

They keep having casters running out into melee while maintaining concentration spells or burning turns on trying to use charm effects on enemies that have already displayed they can resist charm effects at will. I have to imagine this must be like watching a football game where your favored team's coach is acting like an idiot.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/GameChangerSam/status/1587127761151225857

Kind of crazy how they've basically developed a bigger cast as a result of all this.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

MikeJF posted:

It's one of those shows where most guests I think you could only have once or twice before you run them dry of the good content. But I feel like Izzy could probably come back a half a dozen times based on some stuff she's said.

I get the feeling that Sephie could be on every show in a season and never repeat herself, but it'd all be different "I had sex in a weird place" stories after a certain point.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Neverafter's going just straight into the Brian Yuzna body horror. I don't know how they'll manage 20 episodes of this.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/shantywolf/status/1617332703640322049

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

karmicknight posted:

the wiki lists 6, but I don't know where they're pulling that number from.

There's usually a FAQ that goes up on the Dropout Discord for each new season that lists stuff like that.

Edit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTpk2t_dkLw9_OzbTV-tvUss4g05PmCqvErsYz27ub7FPyUq4BhLeqrYCy1ZBsz0Dk6Zm_mSA3ncoio/pub

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

This new episode of "Make Some Noise" is Brennan, Ross Bryant, and some other guy who is in no way prepared to be in the same room as those two lunatics.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

New Dimension 20 side quest on August 9: Mentopolis, which seems to be film-noir Inside Out. It's using a hacked version of Kids on Bikes.

The cast is Siobhan, Mike Trapp, Danielle Radford, and newcomers Freddie Wong, Hank Green, and Alex Song-Xia.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I only hit up the spoiler tags because I figured somebody might want to have the option of going into the trailer cold.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Realistically, if you're looking to blame anyone at Dropout, it's either Sam or Grant.

Anyone else either isn't subtle or doesn't plot against others.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I'm mildly surprised, given the devout fanbase, that D20's wiki isn't entirely fleshed out. You can find full episode recaps of basically every 2010-2019 show on various fan wiki's, wonder if they're just fully dead now that people can get their fix on Discord.

It's a little more fleshed out than it looks, but for some reason, the front page hasn't been updated for months.

What I'm wondering is if it's a consequence of every Fandom wiki being virtually useless on mobile. You have to shove three ads out of your way to get to any actual information.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA3s65KK3yc

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

This is why some places will abbreviate Brennan to "BleeM."

Which just makes me think of a Dreamcast-era emulation platform, but whatever.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4rYvwLCVUc

DesiQuest, the South Asian-styled live-play with Rekha Shankar, put up its first episode.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

kiminewt posted:

I watched the latest Dirty Laundry, and I gotta ask: what kind of 13 year old shaves their pubes?

The kind that's on their swim team.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Bobulus posted:

- The power grinders are a fun concept, but I think they're a red herring.

As I think Siobhan even mentioned in ep. 4, the Rat Grinders who've been introduced so far are way too specifically built to be the Bad Kids' Injustice League (or if you prefer, the Linear Guild). It'd be too big a narrative coincidence if they weren't at least secondary antagonists for the season.

* a halfling rogue who's willing to take every shortcut available to her
* a gnome bard who's Fantasy Ed Sheeran but actually attends classes
* a cleric of Helio who apparently really impresses Kristen's parents
* a kobold barbarian who's basically a mountain with feet and has no other utility or personality to speak of

I'd imagine there are two other members who are equivalently opposite Fabian and Adaine. I'd imagine the one's a poor but streetwise fighter with a healthy romantic relationship and the other's a rich sorcerer who's faking her way through wizard classes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

they could still just be a source of friction at school. i mean that group has spent two years grinding and literally never been in a real fight so we'll see what the end game is beyond just be a pain in the rear end at school. its going to be hilarious tho if they get in a real fight and immediately panic

That's part of what makes them frustrating, which also plays into one of the old ludonarrative dissonances about D&D. As was said during the episode, it's as if the Grinders are on the EXP rules while the Bad Kids use milestone advancement.

Every single one of the Bad Kids has been through multiple traumatic experiences, several of them have died, and they spent their entire summer break on a single quest to save the world. Meanwhile, the Grinders have simply been pummeling the same monsters over and over again for 3 years. Both the Kids and Grinders are juniors, which means they're about the same level, but the Grinders have confined all their "adventuring" to a single boring 3-hour daily excursion. It means no drama, no loss, and for years, likely no genuine threats, which means they've got no trouble with their work-life balance.

There are a couple of old Adventuring Academy episodes where Mulligan talks about the inherent strangeness of D&D's EXP model, where apparently the express train to power is raw murder. It's almost explicitly what he's satirizing here. I'm reminded of the old joke about how, rules-as-written, anything you kill in earlier editions of D&D is worth at least 1 XP, so in theory you could power-level by going out and pouring boiling water on an anthill.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Sestze posted:

To add to this, someone in the comments of this video, that with the right build and the kobold being level 10, he's hitting 35 from 18 with a whopping +17 to the roll.

The bad guy of the season being rules-as-written XP Systems and literal Rules Lawyers is a wonderful narrative twist. (I'm assuming that's the bad guy, there's a lot of bad poo poo happening. Maybe we'll get strudel demons from the strudel dimension)

It would make sense if she had a bunch of potions of storm giant strength on her. It'd be the least difficult way to hit numbers like that, and each potion lasts for an hour.

That would really fit with the seeming ethos of the Rat Grinders. They'd probably define it as "smarter, not harder," whereas anybody else would call it an appalling shortcut. You know what'll ensure you get onto your high school football team? Show up so juiced that you could bench-press the team bus.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

kristen loving up everything with cassandra so badly is stressing me out massively

Yeah, I've been thinking about this for a couple of days, and a big reason why I tend to prefer the seasons without the "Intrepid Heroes" is because of Ally.

They're a perfectly solid comedian and I appreciate their appearances on shows like "Dirty Laundry," but they're apparently quite drawn to playing characters that cannot keep themselves from loving up. Even Margaret had that thing where her ex still had her wrapped around her little finger. As a viewer, you're stuck watching the character deliberately accelerate towards an obvious wall over and over again, which has never been something I'm equipped to tolerate in my fiction.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dolash posted:

Ally is a pro and the Kristen self-destruction supernova is the most interesting part of the new season. An eninently recognizable, perfectly realized dumpster fire.

It's entirely well-done, understandable, and explicable, but I don't enjoy consistently self-destructive characters in fiction, and when Ally's at the table, that's almost certainly what you'll get.

This is not meant as smoke against Ally themself. They just like to do something I've never cared for.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Trapp posted on Instagram that he's currently on the writing staff for two different cartoons, which explains the step back.

I'd heard in passing he's got a young child, too.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I didn't know Kimia Behpoornia was queer.

Which makes it funny that of all the people on the couch, the straight guy was the one in the velvet suit.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/dropout/status/1758612725926945015

Looks like they're cracking into the Netflix game a little bit by airing a bunch of shows from associated performers.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

boxen posted:

I think he's been fairly jacked since like Bloodkeep but my man hasn't slowed down.

He makes a joke in some episode of "Um, Actually" about how he got into weightlifting because it was one of the only hobbies where it's acceptable to scream like a Dragon Ball character.

It's still the first thing I think of whenever I see Ify on something.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I have had so many games in TTRPGs, both as a DM and a player, where someone used their combat turn at a crucial moment to be wacky and random rather than effective, so Beardsley was giving me some real flashbacks this session.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Realistically, if they were going to do a horror season in the first place, the Intrepid Heroes were not the crew to do it with, if only because all 6 of them are professional comedians. Every time one of them was genuinely spooked, somebody did a bit and the tension snapped. Even Mulligan blew up his own spot a couple of times. That's my biggest point of contention with Neverafter as a whole.

You'd really have wanted to run it with a custom crew of people with horror chops: Erika Ishii, Taliesin Jaffe, Iyengar, Luis Carazzo, and maybe some actors or writers from the LA scene. Horror only works if you're willing to take it deadly seriously, especially in a format like a TTRPG.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

They couldn't do anything that could potentially require fact-checking because Gilbert had sixty extra pounds balanced on top of his head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

This track goes a lot harder than it has any right to.