Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
crown of candy has a great moment towards the beginning where ally is loving around in combat and ignoring their class abilities and brennan has to stop them and be like “this campaign has real combat and youre going to die if you dont play your class”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

I could swallow everything up until you need to roll a natural 20 or you die. At that point, I was like, “Oh, Brennan is aiming for a full-party kill.”

i think thats proof that he wasnt. between that and being uncertain what to do with the furniture folks, i think he was expecting a very different outcome. he had prepared stuff for each dead character, but he had nothing ready for a tpk

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Froghammer posted:

The back half of A Crown Of Candy was cut short because Covid started popping off during filming. Lots of narrative stuff that could have been handled gently had to be brute forced in order to get the show out the door.

Saccharina immediately taking over the entire narrative just by existing is the problem the internet fixated on because it's an excuse to yell at a woman.

i thought fantasy high season 2 was the one airing when covid hit, since the last episode is over zoom

edit: it appears i am correct, but crown of candy started in april 2020, so its plausible that they were recording crown of candy at the same time they were streaming sophomore year, but considering they would have to disassemble and reassemble the set for that to be the case i doubt it

second edit: “The season was filmed in August 2019 and is one shortest and busiest filming schedules of Dimension 20, taking approximately 18 days total. The first 11 episodes were filmed in just six days.[3]
The season was intended to be 20-21 episodes long, and included additional battle sets for both a pleasure lounge in Comida/Fructera and a coliseum battle in Carne, the capital of the Meat Lands, before the Los Angeles Fire Marshal prohibited them from operating out of their current venue a week before filming was scheduled to start.
The crew often makes jokes during the episodes about being "in a freezing cold warehouse at 2am" due to their new location and compressed work schedule.”

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 23, 2022

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

tsob posted:

Huh, I would have thought that Dimension 20 was already Brennan's baby, but I assume this new venture is outside of Dropout, so perhaps it's something he'd have more creative control over; though I wouldn't have thought he'd have been notably limited with what he could do with Dimension 20 either, at the same time. It perhaps sounds a bit grubby to say that it could just be down to simple economics, and a new creator owned venture means he, along with Aabria, Erika and Lou would have a greater cut of profits from anything they do but I genuinely don't mean it to sound that way. I wonder what that means for D20; will they have others DM a bit more on it going forward?

i think it being a podcast network already makes it pretty distinct from dropout’s video network format

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Schrute Nation posted:

While I appreciate Sam's flexibility to allow the plot twist that was to honor Grant's wishes, I also noticed Reese wasn't excited about the surprise.

he probably killed the other guy to get grant alone. hell, the cookies could have been a long con

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bobulus posted:

I'm new to Dropout. My impression is that for Game Changer, it's usually Mondays, every other week, with behind the scenes stuff for the alternate weeks, right?

I'm curious why this four-parter is scheduled to start airing four weeks after the last episode, and on a Tuesday. I'm not complaining, just wondering if there's some logistical reason for it.

its a different show, like make some noise

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

double nine posted:

speaking of naddpod, is that the type of podcast one should start at the beginning at, or should you just pick up the latest episode and work your way backwards?

start from the beginning

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the issue with neverafter imo is that it has zero verisimilitude

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
it was a battle of creativity and guts and ally won. grant is a coward

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kiminewt posted:

Yeah, while it may be repetitive, tasks that are simple and just rely on everyone's improv abilities are the most entertaining for sure.

counterpoint: the last thing i want to see televised are the warmups improv performers do backstage before a show

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
mercers season is a crown of candy prequel lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

whydirt posted:

What’s the best D20 season/show to try for someone who has no RPG experience? We love the Dropout casts, but my wife has never played an RPG before.

either fantasy high or starstruck. i think starstruck

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
misfits and magic also has no story, just really mild character arcs for only two of the characters, then it ends. so actually my suggestion is escape from the bloodkeep

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
genuinely surprised thats what apodaca looks like

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hoshi posted:

What’s the podcast? Is it good?

get played. its a video game podcast. its usually good but heather anne campbell has been enjoying fortnite too much lately

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
improv comedy has changed a lot in the era of streaming and youtube. del close would be ashamed, it’s completely impossible to identify The Game half the time

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i do love that make some noise feels like the ultimate extrapolation of short form improv and dimension 20 feels the same but for long form. maybe del would love it too

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Talorat posted:

What do you think is the best standalone episode to sell someone on Game Changer (and dropout by extension). All my favorites I feel like require at least some foreknowledge of the cast.

any of the season 1 games imo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Well, time to finally watch Fantasy High!

Quick question, for people that have been around for a while, what was the experience level of the players for tabletap games, back in season one? Were they all green except for Brennan?

the ones that werent had still only played with brennan, i believe. that said, axford and murph are savants

edit: actually, naddpod had quite a few episodes by then. so at least murph and emily had a good amount of familiarity with 5e

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 27, 2023

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
blm is the bureau of land management, to me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

X-O posted:

I might give it a try when I exhaust everything else just because of the people involved, but I know nothing about D&D at all and don't really like fantasy stuff. But if there are good Brennan rants in it I might not be able to resist.

its the #1 source of brennan rants. in fact he plays 99% of the characters and monologues with almost all of them about something or other. in the seasons he runs, that is

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

YggiDee posted:

hey, could anyone sell me on Crown of Candy? I know it's a really popular season but GoT-style political intrigue doesn't interest me, does it pick up later or should I just watch something else.

the political intrigue barely works, its carried by the insanely elaborate food puns in every single tiny morsel of exposition

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Thanks, it all sounds very interesting but more or less the opposite of what I like, so I think I'll give it a pass for now.

its not really interesting

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

the best d20 season is naddpod :unsmigghh:

i haven't finished em all yet but fantasy high s2 is probably my favorite so far

naddpod is pretty much the only d&d show thats actually worth the time imo. love listening to it at work

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

They were?! I don’t remember that. Everyone else has been on some variation of the main campaign tho. Lou and the Hexbuds was the best part of eldermourne IMO. Zac as Mavrus, Siobhan as Apple Scrumper.

ally was on the dungeon court where they talked about murph walking around in a pillowcase like fred flintstone iirc

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
seems to me that brennan finally decided to have a scholastic narrative in his scholastic d&d setting

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
porters just wants gorgug to get relentless rage

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Farg posted:

porter is an interesting character because he's being a bad teacher but in the weird mechanical meta world of d&d he isn't wrong that its a pretty bad multiclass

then hes a minmaxer and gorgugs arc will be intentionally making suboptimal choices that end up saving everyone because the dm is good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its a pretty farcical circumstance considering some of gorgugs enthusiasm for uhh artifice is due to misapprehensions and deceptions

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
fighter is probably one of the best multiclass adds because of the many proficiencies it grants even just at level 1. just two levels of fighter gets you fighting styles, second wind and action surge, and if you add one more level you can be a champion fighter and crit on 19 and 20. if you use weapons at all it’s a pro move. i bet probably half of the students in the fighter courses are multiclassing

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pseudosavior posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing the kind of bonkers combos the Intrepid Heroes could get up to in Lancer, tbh.

id like to see a level 20 high school reunion dark future season where they all narratively made extremely ill-advised multiclasses and had to live with them

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
id like to see a d20 season that uses gurps and leans into the sim elements

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
it would be really funny if kristen hosed up enough that she had to change her class

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
kalina is a braindead mckinsey management consultant brought in to “fix” a business whose rate of profit is completely flat (only one real customer but theyre unflaggingly loyal)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
brennan has been playing Cassandra like a very whiny club president desperate for membership so i dont think the intention is for kristen to feel especially contrite about not going to the mall to pass out fliers

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dolash posted:

I think you guys might be missing the forest for the trees by litigating whether Cassandra was clear enough to Kristen about the pamphleting thing or whether she's acting appropriately like a Goddess in need of converts to survive. She represents a commitment that Kristen is neglecting, the latest step in a downward trend of toxic interpersonal relationship habits she's developed, and that's what led them to this point more than any one specific act.

If you need an in-universe hook, remember that the second season made clear how Gods are the product of their worship - Cassandra was betrayed by her original followers and sent away from them, she became the nightmare king when that was what the people who found her wanted her to be, and she was completely reshaped in Kristen's image when Kristen decided that radical embrace was the way to get her out of the nightmare king persona. With Kristen as her main imprint and source of identity, how couldn't she end up this way?

sure but brennan is playing her like a codependent. shes behaving like a maniac even if her motivations are legit. so its my suspicion that she has ulterior motives or is secretly a dēoful, or is just a riff on codependent relationships but this one is between a cleric and their god

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
kristens narrative arc this season is “high school relationships end when you graduate” and shes getting an early warning of how not to behave with ayda

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Little cross that for all of Brennan's speeches about trying your best, he totally and completely stops doing that halfway through so that he can get more points. Thinking the Trump impersonation and dance sabotage. What a hypocrite!

he was forced to reconcile that doing the best was antithetical to victory on the fly. it must have been a difficult adjustment

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

double nine posted:

I really hope Paul F Tompkins was booked for more than just dirty laundry, they're far too charming for just one shoot

if hes not on game changer this season ill be disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i hate it and im going to stop watching lol. i want autistic game show