Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I was just thinking "I need people to geek out over Dropout with" then I remembered SA existed

I don't usually count on Ally to steal a show, but they were pure magic on the Game Changer premiere. Them making Brennan's entire life flash before his eyes as he blankly says "no, wait..." is one of my all time favorite Dropout moments, right next to "Thank you, Rick Ross"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Popped open the new Game Changer and drat Tao has been working out

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

YggiDee posted:

Either the Dropout crew trust Sam with their lives or he pays them so so so loving well. Giving a guy your phone and letting him look at your group chats and delivery food spending and Google searches and unread emails? I would eat my sim card. I would move back to Canada.

Considering some of the poo poo we've seen on Dirty Laundry, I think the fundamental characteristic of being a comedian is that you would do literally anything for a laugh

I think my favorite part of the episode was Alexis realizing that she was the one who wrote Tao's tweet draft, didn't remember how it ended, and got it right by guessing anyway

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

kidcoelacanth posted:

the unread emails question was my favorite because i was watching with my partner and we played along: 0 for me, 143,000 for them

sever

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The facelift for Um Actually is great

e: I bought The Disruptors and watched it. Really good movie, and I'm glad I got to see Grant's acting chops on display in a longer piece of media

inthesto fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 1, 2024

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I love Ify as the new host, and I feel like they're deliberately letting the game breathe with more banter now

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Neverafter is better than CoC.

Especially if I’m judging off of “did the tone land with me?”

Edit: To expound a bit more, I don’t find any of the main cast to be particularly talented dramatic actors (at least in the dome.) So having Brennan attempt to do serious and be countered with comedy is preferable to the others attempting to also do serious.

I loved CoC and I think Lou knocked it out of the park that season (and in Unsleeping City for that matter)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I don't know how Sam Says keeps getting better but it does, and I think those episodes are indirectly a showcase for how good the backstage team is

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Surprised there was no payoff for the swear jar. Thought that was going to be the reward.

Yeah I was a little miffed by this but the final Sam Says was so loving good I will let it slide

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

X-O posted:

Sam is a cruel puppet master. Bring on Sam Says IV.

I really, really hope Zam comes back on a regular basis

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I never finished season 5 of Game Changer and I'm realizing that I didn't give Jacob Wysocki enough credit in the past. I can't quite describe the energy he brings, but it's great and unique for sure

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just finished the Battle Royale and honestly I liked it. I was disappointed that my favorite two cast members were the first ones eliminated, but watching everyone make asses of themselves in short bursts was a good time.

I was also deeply impressed with Ally's sandwich in the food contest. Also also how is it that I knew that Siobhan has celiac's disease, but this is the first time I've ever heard about Ally also having it???

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The new vibes on Um Actually are so much better. Previously I only checked in if there was a contestant I knew I really liked, but now I am all in on the weird tangents between each question

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I didn't hate American Taskmaster as much as everyone else did, but thinking about Dropout and what American Taskmaster could have been, yeah it's a huge letdown

I think Ify said that Dropout is basically the home of panel comedy for American comedians, and drat it, he's right and I hope Dropout just gets huger and huger and brings a whole new comedy culture with it

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

tsob posted:

If Sam was the Taskmaster of a US production, who would be his Alex Horne? I think given his personality that he'd need someone a bit more impish and chaotic, so I'd think Emily; she's not actually part of Dropout as such though. I'd also wonder how his wife would do in the role.

I almost think Katie would do better as the stern, overbearing Taskmaster (Taskmistress?) though, honestly. I think despite Sam's occasional cackling glee at futzing with contestants, that he's generally too affable and nice to be Taskmaster.

It's Grant

It's just Grant, there are other very strong answers but Grant is the only correct answer

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Brennan and Ify would both be strong choices as the Taskmaster, but I think it's in universal agreement that we'd rather see them as contestants

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I actually want to see if Jess addresses exoticos, which is already a drag subculture within wrestling

Also I need to see Demi's talk immediately

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Watching professional comedians play souped up Jackbox games is basically all I've ever wanted in life

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I think the drag season of D20 brought in a lot of new fans

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm willing to settle for just seeing Grant's bingo card

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The new(ish) Um Actually is another banger episode and Dropout should try to get professional wrestlers on the show more often

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I personally think the points are secondary to the cast just riffing on each other, and I think Ify is the better host for facilitating that, so I'm good

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I was genuinely expecting the end of that episode to be interfering with the wenis dance so Sam wouldn't kick the camera but I'm cool with how it ended. Gonna call my shot and say that the BTS will show that they had a contingency for that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

flatluigi posted:

eh, it's mostly that for whatever reason nobody's made an effort to just air uk panel shows and the like unchanged in the US (probably because US TV tends to have very different energy and baggage around what a game show/reality show should be like).

the attempt at making a US taskmaster just had weird energy and I'd love to see them try it again in general, but I think you could get a couple seasons of dropout taskmaster easily

US Taskmaster bombed because half the contestants weren't even comedians and Lisa Lampanelli was still somehow the worst contestant

I believe UPN tried airing season 8 of UK Taskmaster and didn't even finish it due to low ratings? IDK, it's weird that something can be a huge viral hit on the internet and then flop on cable

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I think it's much simpler in that all the other anglophone TMs (UK, AUS, and especially NZ) there's at least the feeling that they're a tightly knit comedy scene who know each other well and are comfortable riffing on each other

In US TM, it felt like they barely knew each other's names

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Pleads posted:

I barely made it through a single episode of the NZ version because it was such a void of charisma, now I really want to see just how dire the US version wound up being…

I agree that Jeremy Wells is a pretty bad Taskmaster, but I had enough goodwill for the contestants that I sat through season 1 and I wasn't mad about the time I put into it.

Season 2 is an all-time banger, and I hard agree that it's one of the best seasons of Taskmaster anywhere

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Look closer, that's obviously Grant as the half-Asian councilor

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Base ten was a mistake and we should switch to base twelve

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Inkspot posted:

But + Montaigne. And Sam Reich's $$$. For more $$$.

Add in Benny Davis and you have the most powerful episode of Play It By Ear of all time

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm rewatching Game Changer again and this time I'm noticing that Siobhan's accent comes out much stronger when she's pissed off

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
That episode owned bones. I really love the ones where the catch is more physical in nature

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
My first guess was Britney, then Lady Gaga, then I remembered Madonna and figured she got the title because she was first chronologically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Jess bringing up Golddust is interesting, because while AFAIK Dustin Rhodes put his back into that character and is an ally irl, that character was forced upon him as punishment for being related to the wrong people

Katie's presentation is funny in a very subliminal way and I cannot explain why. Also, if four eggs a day is too many, I'm in some serious trouble :ohdear: