Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

seaborgium posted:

Well, even during the pandemic they kept making Um, Actually, Dimension 20 and Game Changer so those must be their shows that make money. It's just figuring out if it's enough to keep them going in total.

Were they making new Um, Actually? I thought it was like everything else where the layoffs happened right after 6 months of heavy shooting so they were able to eek out a long time by rationing already shot stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

theCalamity posted:

They've been making new Um, Actually, Game Changer (one of them had Giancarlo Esposito on it), and, most recently, new Breaking News

poo poo, have the gotten Amy Vorpahl back yet? Her inability to keep a straight face and skill at dragging everyone else down with her always made for great episodes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If anyone wants merch the drop out door is having a clearing house sale before they relaunch with the new partner.

https://store.dropout.tv/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Looks like Trapp is making content for the new Cracked relaunch, is this going to mean anything for his Dropout content?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I always got the feeling they're more annoyed working with Katie, she does everything too flat and monotone and gives them nothing to work with.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
For those who didn't know, Brennen will be on Critical Role's Elden Ring one shot live streaming tonight.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm hoping Aabria not DM'ing will allow her to flex her voice a bit more. When she DM's all of her characters kind of feel samey, good naturedly confused while the pcs run their slapstick.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There's also this supercut of Brennan https://youtu.be/fd9CIQqvy2Y

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Here's a clip for anyone on the fence.

https://youtu.be/vW0XX3A8bEU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I've been rewatching some old CH stuff and I had forgotten is used to be actual actors doing sketches. Is there a reason they made the switch around '15?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Wanderer posted:

New Dimension 20 side quest on August 9: Mentopolis, which seems to be film-noir Inside Out. It's using a hacked version of Kids on Bikes.

The cast is Siobhan, Mike Trapp, Danielle Radford, and newcomers Freddie Wong, Hank Green, and Alex Song-Xia.

Finally a goon made it to D20.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

drat, I've never been big on Brady but when you get that kind of praise from someone that made a national name from improv, of all things, that has to be a high point.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

timp posted:

I mean, who else is even doing taped improv? Wild n Out? (which I've definitely seen Wayne Brady guest on?)

Not trying to undersell the compliment because it truly is high praise, but the fact that there's very few shops in that town sorta undercuts it in my opinion. Like was that meant to also be a jab at someone else who isn't doing it right?

Maybe it's a dig at not being asked to do Murderville?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CK07 posted:

A Polygon interview with Brennan and Sam also went up at basically the same time as the video, with a little more context and a little more info about at least one of the new shows: https://www.polygon.com/23889773/dropout-anniversary-collegehumor-brennan-lee-mulligan-sam-reich

Wow, how old is that headshot of Sam?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Megazver posted:

That's just what happens when he takes off the glasses.

He needs to put them back on, he looks like he just did a rail and is about to me his plans to disrupt the crypto market.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Saw a couple of Rooster Teeth people, too, Elise and Charlotte from Funhaus. Looks like there's a lot more theme episodes this season.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kiminewt posted:

Some Smosh cast members too.

I suppose after this many seasons it's time to shake it up and this could be good still. Interesting to see Ify as the host, I think if you'd asked me I'd think it'd be the reverse.

Hope to see Trapp in other things though, most underrated of the Dropout crew. Find him hilarious.

I hope this means they're going to do more content creators in other shows too. Ryan Hailey from Funhaus would make a memorable Dirty Laundry.

"It was my junior year in college, when I was living in this clothing optional commune called the gently caress Farm..."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

inthesto posted:

The facelift for Um Actually is great

e: I bought The Disruptors and watched it. Really good movie, and I'm glad I got to see Grant's acting chops on display in a longer piece of media

How tight was the framing on Grant's face?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Undead Hippo posted:

I don't find that example convincing. Mash is from 1972. Blackadder Goes Forth 1989. In the same year as Blackadder Goes Forth was a little show called the Simpsons, and I'd almost call Mr Burns the platonic ideal of the malevolent superior. There are plenty of more "Cosy" British sitcoms from the Mash era too (E.G. Dad's Army, Open All Hours, To The Manor Born).

The US definitely has different attitudes to authority than the UK- but it's not like "Mean/Arbitrary Boss" is an alien archetype.

Yeah, a clueless arbitrary boss is pretty much the foundation of US workplace comedies. Even in the MASH example. Most episodes in the first half of the show were about Hawkeye undermining his cruel/clueless/arbitrary superior officers Majors Burns and Houlihan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

flatluigi posted:

bdg just seems to be around in general, which is good because being part of the dropout talent pool is such a better fit for him than wringing what he could out of being employed at polygon (even if i do love what he did over there and wish that all that stuff could've continued. i miss videogame theater)

Agreed, I'm glad to see Dropout is successful enough to start expanding its pool. Especially with tapping Elise and Charlotte from Funhaus for Um, Actually. Funhaus had a talented cast with nothing but time on their hands now.