Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

tsob posted:

Yeah, Greg Davies had been an actor in comedies prior to Taskmaster, but they were scripted shows for the most part and even then, his most famous role, as a teacher in The Inbetweeners, cast him in a similarly stern role for the most part. It's a lot harder to maintain that view of someone who has mostly come through your view for doing unscripted silliness.

We are Klang was his breakout act, and probably his biggest pre taskmaster success(although Inbetweeners would definitely have had more eyeballs). We are Klang is incredibly silly sketch comedy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

bbcisdabomb posted:

I think the biggest problem with US Taskmaster is the cultural idea of cruelty from your superiors being the expected behavior just isn't an American thing. America didn't make Blackadder Goes Forth, they made MASH.

I don't find that example convincing. Mash is from 1972. Blackadder Goes Forth 1989. In the same year as Blackadder Goes Forth was a little show called the Simpsons, and I'd almost call Mr Burns the platonic ideal of the malevolent superior. There are plenty of more "Cosy" British sitcoms from the Mash era too (E.G. Dad's Army, Open All Hours, To The Manor Born).

The US definitely has different attitudes to authority than the UK- but it's not like "Mean/Arbitrary Boss" is an alien archetype.