Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That is indeed a bummer :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Reese seemed very uncomfortable when Grant game changed the prize at the end, so I wouldn’t have been surprised if he backed out off camera (even before the other thing)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The challenges are great. The actual Survivor voting stuff is boring.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

What’s the best D20 season/show to try for someone who has no RPG experience? We love the Dropout casts, but my wife has never played an RPG before.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I don’t care about which campaigns are the best as actual games, tbh. I just want the ones that are most entertaining

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I Am Fowl posted:

Exactly. Or when Sam brought in Giancarlo Esposito and they were just starstruck. It's pretty funny when he brings in a ringer.

Wait when was this?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Just finished season 1 of Fantasy High and the live production format of season 2 is very distracting.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Musical improv loses a lot in the translation from live performance to recorded video

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The main D20 crew all having very different comedic styles and personalities is a big part of why I think it works so well. A party of all Ally or Zac or Emily, etc wouldn’t work as well as the variety.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Is there anywhere Brennan has talked about behind the scenes of his campaigns from a character/narrative perspective? I know there's the BTS video on Dropout/YouTube but that's more about the physical production.

For example, I'm curious in Fantasy High if the Arthur murder/suicide to revive the bad kids was 100% improvised on the spot or more of a mix of reacting to the players but with some nugget of a plan if there were PC deaths.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Sure that’s just an example. I just wanted to see him nerd out about all of those kind of moments across the season.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Sweet!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

We skipped S2 of Fantasy High due to how it was produced. Volume levels were all over and I prefer editing over live recording.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

You can’t read threads on Twitter without having an account now, so posting screenshots or a rolled up version is helpful for embedding stuff here

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Now’s the perfect time to launch the non-union Dropout America

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Finally a use for my ability to disassociate away from stressful situations

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Magitek posted:

Yeah, one of my all-time favorite Dropout bits is seeing Brennan lose it in True Facts About Grant O'Brien Part 2. Brennan's ordinarily very stoic, but the one-two punch of "Hello, I'm 50" and the Bernie Sanders line just sent him reeling.

The key to getting Brennan to break is to make him genuinely concerned for his friends. He cannot escape his compassionate nature.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Wow I can't believe Sam Reich gave Hank Green cancer

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If it was Grant it would've been an STI

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Also most people just use the Discord server now

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

We just started Crown of Candy and the first big battle in Episode 2 is a rough watch. The terrain is very visually striking and flavorful but it blocks seeing what's going on. Even the players note multiple times that they aren't sure where other characters are. Without spoiling any details, all the extra combatants really slow things down as well. Hopefully later battles go a little more smoothly.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

here's what i have to say to del:

*fart*

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I’ll point out that Fantasy High S2 was filmed live and is hard to watch due to the way it was produced.

We just skipped ahead to The Seven, which was amazing as a sequel in its own way.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Just finished the cathedral fight in the first third of Crown of Candy and I feel like everything leading up to it was kind of a set of choices/actions that didn’t really matter and they were going to be hosed regardless. Feels kind of railroaded compared to other campaigns so far, but maybe things we’ve seen so far will pay off in ways I’m not thinking of.

RIP Lapin and Preston

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Get in the comments!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Halfway through Crown of Candy. It’s still good but I’m definitely enjoying it less than Fantasy High/The Seven.

I think it’s because the players are almost always reacting to an immediate threat created by Brennan and don’t seem to have much agency to proactively work on their own agenda.

The world and lore are cool though. Brennan can’t help himself from placing his philosophy degree in the middle of things.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I skipped S2 of Fantasy High because of the live recording making it tough to watch. Editing is key for these, imo.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Grant O'Brien: 50

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Just wrapped up Crown of Candy. Enjoyed it, but less than the Fantasy High seasons. For all the talk of it being centered on political intrigue, the players didn't seem to have much agency and the story felt on rails to move them from one planned battle setpiece to the next (even relative to other D20 seasons). Everything with Saccharina feeling ostracized by the Rocks family came across especially forced in particular. The final battle gimmick was a neat idea conceptually, but the execution was a bit flat and slow paced outside of a couple key moments that didn't use the gimmick.

I'd still give it a B+, but wouldn't recommend it as a first watch to someone new to D20.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I was actually going to say that the third assassination attempt on Amethar was actually another bullshit moment because of it being basically out of nowhere. If it had turned out with a worse result, I would’ve felt real salty about it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

More rare birds

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Those are bingo balls, I assume?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

How did you break time and space to create an Escher landscape IRL?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Maybe I’m bad at judging ages, but I think the majority of Dropout’s talent are millennials, especially all the hosts/GMs.

Or maybe I’m misreading your post.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Ah yeah. I miswrote that but this is what I meant.

Gotcha. That makes more sense

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Definitely not actual human

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

You should be watching VIP on the alternate weeks :colbert:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I think many of you underestimate the ability for many goofballs to turn it off and become a stone-faced monster if needed

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I was holding out hope for a fourth layer of bingception

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm pretty sure it's associated with the thriving streaming service, Dropout.tv