Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
d20 loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
haha yeah

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
It all made sense to me when I realized it's a rogue like

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

weekly font posted:

I think this mechanic is why it feels forced. He did that to the party to force a narrative instead of letting them discover it naturally and the end of the fight really showed that. That 3d10 was totally made up bullshit to kill Murph. It’s good its an actual play and obviously the team dynamic and structure is wildly different than a home table but in one if a DM wasted 2.5 hours in a slog of a combat to introduce his mechanics and plot I wouldn’t sit for session 2. It’s really bad form and even in AP form not especially entertaining.

he tried to do the 3d10 earlier but the only people hitting her were out of its range. it was definitely meant to kill someone going in but I don't think he improvved it on the fly

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
wow lous character concept rules

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
given its success, it is a terrible choice of name for the system instead of the podcast, as the podcast seems like it will vastly outstrip the system in popularity. not fair, but true!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
imo they have done horror OR the meta stuff

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
a few of the figures went for 5 digits lol

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
hell yeah

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
french

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
some of the stuff on certain eps is unexpected and fun imo

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah but it was sick and had a good speech

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
coc has problems but they're all pretty interesting problems. a lot of the humor and character work is top notch and there are some incredible highs.

unfortunately the weakest d20 season (main cast at least) is neverafter by a mile. there are some really fantastic and funny moments in spite of itself, but it felt like a misfire. they mashed together two premises which would have been stronger on their own (fairy tale horror vs. meta 'jumping between stories' stuff).

the early TPK followed by a full episode of exposition i think causes a LOT of problems later on. we have all of 2 episodes with the characters as mortals living their life in fairytale scaryworld, but almost immediately have all that ripped away as the scope and scale expands. we've barely had time with the characters so instead of it feeling like a cool evolution for the party, it just feels like we barely ever get to know them. the whole time it feels like pc's are adrift and not super sure what the stakes are or what matters, and it feels like the players just retreat into (really really funny) bits b/c there isn't any real drama or pathos, just endless lovely situations they waltz through.

if you GOTTA keep the horror and the meta stuff both, i think it would've been better for the campaign if the 'meta reveal' was like, 10 episodes in at least. let us and the players get to know who the pc's are and how awful the situation is, and *then* pull the rug out and reveal that things are also hosed up a meta level beyond their comprehension.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah like i think it says a lot that in the middle of a very dramatic and complicated two-episode final battle for the fate of reality the pc's are mostly cracking goofs and trying to obtain a tophat

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
porter is an interesting character because he's being a bad teacher but in the weird mechanical meta world of d&d he isn't wrong that its a pretty bad multiclass

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
tbh i also thought porter was baiting gorgug into getting really pissed off and raging at him as a secret test

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
she should just ask fabian for money

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
neverafter shoulda 1) decided if it wanted to do "fairytale horror" or "meta horror" and 2) not have the party tpk 2 sessions in and then have a massive lore dump that tells the characters we've barely gotten to know that they are immortal and infinite and everything they knew is tiny and insignificant

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
im all in on the theory that the swear jar will come back in a future episode

if its just a "no swearing" penalty rule, why bother counting them up with a fancy prop??

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah bdg is cool. was pretty ehh on his VIP episode though. was giving the show a try with some friends and the zac oyama episode got big laughs but bdg's was crickets

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

run on sentience posted:

Junior Year is really good so far, but be sure to mute/skip the godawful intro song.

Relax pal

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Spiteski posted:

It took some googling (because I dont know Hollywood Handbook) to understand that they're doing a bit. That podcast just made me lovely listening to it.

you gotta toughen up unless you want to get your rear end kicked up and down main street by the boys

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Very many people watch TV, very few people go to amateur comedy shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i SAID...........blimey