Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Hey all. I really love Dropout content but couldn't really get into any of the role playing stuff.

I watched some funny clips on youtube and watched a couple of episodes on the show where they go to pseudo-Hogwarts, didn't pull me in.

Any advice on which of the other shows I could try? Preferrably something short, funny and with a lot of Brennan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I watched all the non-RP content. Looking for an RP show to start with since there are so many. Other than misfits of magic I've watched clips of the others but I have no idea of which.

I'll try Escape from the Bloodkeep since it was recommended here.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

New episode of Dirty Laundry is out.

I think dropout is giving me a false sense of how sex positive the US is.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I was also gonna shut it off after five but honestly it gets into a groove after like ten minutes when the prompts were more specific. Certainly not the one of the best episodes but it wasn't bad.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Is it just me or (latest gamechanger spoilers I guess) are their resting heart rates all crazy high?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Didn't they read out Grant's contract or something on Breaking News?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Who cares about these jokers? Bring us Amy!

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Yeah I'm joking obviously. Amy's great but you shouldn't have more than an episode a season of her since she breaks the whole episode.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

As always newcomers to Dropout must first drop everything and watch Total Forgiveness.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Yeah, while it may be repetitive, tasks that are simple and just rely on everyone's improv abilities are the most entertaining for sure.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Trailer for the new season of Make Some Noise:
https://youtu.be/iJQ93UuhkLA

Yes, that's motherfucking Wayne Brady.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I also think the original Game Changer version had a pseudo-competitive vibe which is sorely missing from Make Some Noise. It's just like you said, generic improv.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it. But I felt like none of the episodes really hit the highs of the Game Changer ones.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Joke's on them because I had no idea that show was coming so they've just promoted it to me.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Yeah the Beastie Boys song had me smiling the whole way through.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I think Smosh's target demographic is a little younger but it's very similar in the sense that it's an unscripted comedy brand which thrives on parasocial (sorry) relationships with the performers.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Newsletter posted:

You read that right - Brennan and the Intrepid Heroes (in association with Live Nation) are going on tour for 4 separate shows across the United Kingdom and Ireland in April 2024! And while tickets won't be on sale until Wednesday, August 30th (10am UK), you can check out the pre-sales page here.

Hm, it's a bit far off and I don't watch the role-playing dropout stuff yet it seems like a waste not to go to a live thing in Europe. Can't imagine they'll be doing much more of it.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Probably the best Dirty Laundry episode, mostly because they were all just piss drunk.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

double nine posted:

it's like a goddamn painting and makes no sense out of context

I'd put that on my wall for sure

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Watched the new Breaking News episode. I enjoyed it, and I enjoy most dropout, though I don't watch the roleplaying stuff. However I can't help but feel trepidation at the fact that all shows seem to be slowly converge on being the same improv semi-parasocial show.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I will say I love musical theater, and musical improv is incredible to me.

I also don't need any more of it in my life. Having it bleed into Breaking news and Make Some Noise does muddy the waters too much for me. I think Dropout does work better when you've got distinct shows.

Yeah, my issue is more this than with unscripted show. It's better when the shows are more distinct. I also don't really like musical theatre (though I did enjoy the Game Changer episodes) which is probably a part of it.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Gaz-L posted:

Their reaction to Brennan calling the unseen sub/player a 'good little girl' had about 50% cringe and 50% Dean Pelton dot gif energy.

OTOH their approach to Wicked Switch Of The West took a HARD left turn that I wasn't expecting. Especially the full ahegao face at the end

The subtitles also went hard on that part

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I don't know if it's just cuz I love impressions but yeah, that Make Some Noise episode was definitely one for the books.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I thought the Olivia Coleman one was especially good as well. There were some duds but generally all good.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Got around to watching the latest Dirty Laundry. I've never shipped people on a show before (real or fictional) but there was a real "they loving" vibe to this one.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I don’t know any of the people on this weeks “Dirty Laundry” but the chaos is very very good. Also the wildest stories the show has ever had.

I only knew Kassem but only from that legendary video with Norm Macdonald.

I usually don't super like the episodes with people I don't know but that was definitely super good (and super parasocial).

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Yet your respect for Grant O'brien remains untarnished, I'm sure

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Didn't really like the new Make Some Noise episode. I'm not into musical theatre though I did like the last karaoke they did, maybe it's the lack of points?

Sometimes I do think we have forayed too deeply into improv and I miss some of the old, uh, Dropout sketches.

Like my favourite which I just watched as I do every year: guy who overpronounces foreign words
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGoVefhtMQ

And yes this is an invitation for people to post their favourites.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I watched the latest Dirty Laundry, and I gotta ask: what kind of 13 year old shaves their pubes?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I don't know who this Jake is but I would quadruple my Dropout subscription to get an Animorphs Um Actually episode.

A different person I would like to see on a Dropout show though is Shayne Topp from iCarly. Even if he laughs too much.

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 12, 2023

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I enjoyed VIP. Not hilarious but quite funny. I can definitely see the Comedy Bang Bang vibes, having listened to like three episodes (Vic doing a horrid French accent for one).

I'd enjoy more of a Eric André vibe but I realise that's not what they're going for.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Yep, zoomers are into colourful wholesome content. Unlike us millenials / gen xers they haven't been to WAR so don't need the host to throw up on the guests to feel something.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

X-O posted:

I just discovered Dropout about a month and half ago due to some crossover with some comedians I love. I've binged all of Game Changer and Breaking News and love it. I discovered that they basically turned Off Book into a show and am now making my way through that. Make Some Noise is next after that. I'm not into the D&D stuff at all but Um Actually looks great too. This may be the best streaming service I subscribe to. In fact it may be too much value for how much I'm paying. Plus I feel good about supporting this group of people so that's a nice plus.

Watch Total Forgiveness. It's a bit older but it's great.

Dirty Laundry is a hit or miss but the hits are great.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Some Smosh cast members too.

I suppose after this many seasons it's time to shake it up and this could be good still. Interesting to see Ify as the host, I think if you'd asked me I'd think it'd be the reverse.

Hope to see Trapp in other things though, most underrated of the Dropout crew. Find him hilarious.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

He didn't say Sam Says. Them's the breaks.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

In the Game Changer cut-for-time special they show that the scores are sometimes CGI'd (or else super imposed) over. I assume they ask the players not to talk about their scores in absolute terms in those?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Raymond T. Racing posted:

Ironically, After Midnight is channeling the taskmaster vibes (without the tasks as much) with the back and forths more than US taskmaster ever did.

Did that get good? I basically like Tomlinson but the bits I saw of the first couple of episodes looked absolutely dire.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Pinwiz11 posted:

It's definitely gotten better, although I don't have time to watch regularly. I usually try and catch the Talk Show segment, which has grown into it's own fun thing especially when everyone goes for it.

This clip was on my YouTube feed and the format seemed like something I'd like with people I think are funny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOCcZdo7TOk

It was kinda painful. Aside from Caitlin everyone's pretty stiff, but most of all the audience is absolutely AWFUL. They will not shut up it interrupts any flow that they're having, it's just so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Wow!