Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I gotta say, I enjoyed Misfits and Magic as a Harry Potter parody/sendup but then I watched the Adventuring Party behind-the-scenes chats about them and Ep3 really kinda soured me on the whole series, there's some really bad hot takes in there about what they think they're commentating on about British culture in general and not taking it with their better american violence ways and poo poo and what the narrative they were intending was.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, forget it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Moose King posted:

I was kind of on Brennan's side for that conversation. It's just a different cultural expectation when it comes to friendly banter, a lot of Americans tend to not do the "taking the piss" style banter until they're much more familiar with the person they're talking to. If you're taking the piss out of someone from the US and you're not close friends, there's a decent chance it will get taken as an insult. And 99 times out of 100, calling their partner a dog's breakfast isn't going to go over well no matter how close you are.

It was more about his interpretation of what that kind of thing means in British culture when you're over there (esp since this whole thing is set there); he talked about how there was this idea that you had to let people get away with being mean to you in conversation if it's clever enough, seeming to disregard the context of the idea of banter as truly affectionate and often ways of kicking off back-and-forth in a friendly sporting way. And while I'm sure they're aware of it in a vague way they seem to take their observations at face value without taking into account that there are context clues obvious to people familiar with the culture but invisible to those not that might not be picked up on re: what's genuinely insulting vs more playful. And I'm not saying it's not an often unhealthy cultural aspect, but just that it seemed clear that they thought they were commenting on culture and cultural aspects that the discussion implied they weren't familiar with enough to actually comment on. Like I said, I was fine back when I was interpreting it as specifically commenting on JKR's universe, but that discussion made it clear they thought they were hitting points about Brits as a whole.

And the whole discussion about how it's fighting words and how the main characters aren't going to take that kind of thing because they're 'murican and the way that they're gonna go over and show up all these brits who have this class oppression programmed into them just sort of reframed the whole story into one of those narratives where Americans go save the day and show the rest of the world the proper way to live.

Also they talk a lot about how brits are conditioned not to go to violence and seem really unaware of how willing a youth'll be to kick your head in for fun.

Also I think he might actually think England has no free speech law. (As opposed to a troubled relationship with the one they have, much like America has with the first amendment)

sexpig by night posted:

we can't all be as enlightened as pedo island's noble history of 'randomly saying insulting things about strangers' partners and then whining when they get annoyed' yea.

I saw this discussion in a few places around and every single time at least one person responded with basically 'shut up england was evil and imperial and has pedos so you can't say anything'. I think Godwin's law might need a new condition.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 28, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My issue is not with Brennan's reaction to his rear end in a top hat friend who was totally out of line, but rather the generalisations and conclusions that he and the others seem to have extrapolated from such things and applied to this story.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 28, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xand_Man posted:

Very true.

If anything I feel for Danielle Radford; she got the short end of the stick spotlight-wise. Her unique power started as being able to see the connections between people but it becomes elided into just being able to see Jammer's power in action.

Apparently her power would've escalated into a sort of mind-reading with a few better rolls.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jesus Christ.

True facts part 1 really was just the tip of the iceberg, wasn't it.

Anyway, here for Grant's expressions.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 11, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brennan's utter sense of defeat in the latest breaking news was pretty fun.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't help but feel like there was a deal involved for True Facts #2 where Grant got to have revenge that just got used

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

Brennan once again just instantly flowing with the madness as well.

You say that but WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH TAILORING?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Haven't seen it yet, but Brennan is going to be so competitive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Might have been Brennan, but also Katie is the first person to suggest they all rig it and vote for Sam, and he does warn them that that'll blow up in their face if they try, so I'm on the fence.

Someone on the discord spent a while looking at screenshots of paper rip patterns and decided it was Lou.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 22, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's going to be only one more episode but part two will be 35 minutes, so quite long for diet quibi dropout.

Given how popular it's been there's a good chance they'll end up doing a sequel, though, I think.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 25, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah he's said that they've reached a point where they're going to be able to start to spin up new serieses on Dropout again. And also that Game Changer has inspired a few because it's turned out to be a great way to test out ideas.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, she gave some absolute great moments.

"I will ask this: I'm gonna go around the table and probably the answer to this question is nothing, so I want to make it okay for you to say nothing. But, is there anything you guys are attempting to do as you begin to fall? Rekha."

"I feel a sharp pain from within my belly."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

tsob posted:

Escape from the Bloodkeep probably has one of Brennan's best minor characters too, the prisoner who just wants to take care of his bones.

On the spot improvised, too, because he didn't think they'd ever be able to go to that location.

I do wonder why they didn't have everyone record their sessions locally when they were on zoom and send the file afterwards so they could do the background matte in post rather than live and not have bandwidth compressions. (Could record the zoom too for backup for when someone inevitably fucks up)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 8, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Four new shows based on Game Changer things: Make Some Noise, Dirty Laundry (panel show inspired by never have I ever), Original Cast Recording, and Battle Royale (survivor inspired with some more variety and name change for legal reasons)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

:woop:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looks good but also may end up having a limited lifespan on how many times you can use regulars. But until then it looks good!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

enki42 posted:

I'm sure it's a bit, but it's a good bit, just like when he was trying to identify a trend from 2010 and came up with "Obama was president"

It might not be a bit. He was a homeschool kid, after all...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently the last episode of Dirty Laundry season 1 is a The Seven cast reunion.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He seems like he'd be better at the ones that don't need extremely different voices but just coming up with a wierd hilarious scenario and acting the hell out of it, maybe they'll tune the challenges to the competitors.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The ep of Breaking News where Brennan goes full Tim Curry for the entire back half of the episode and breaks everyone about thirty times each without cracking once may be the best episode of the series.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dinosaurs were technically birds, S2.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, I'm used to british comedy panel shows where the complete irrelevance of the points on all of them is a joke in itself, they're just there for a bit of structure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I always figured he'd spent a little while mentally writing his monologue after figuring it out anyway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dirty Laundry: holy poo poo Izzy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The fractional random points and giving brennan a googleplex at one point was them really trying to get the point over to us that they're totally irrelevant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'VE HEARD OF A CAT SCAN!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

For the tabletop gaming stuff, there's a table of seasons on Wikipedia. Fantasy High is certainly a good starting point, and Dropout'll give you a second season with those players and characters (sophomore year), as well as two other spin-off campaigns in that setting with different players/characters after that. Or if you prefer the original cast of players there's a bunch of other seasons with them playing other settings.

I think there are currently three seasons free on YouTube: Fantasy High season 1, Unsleeping City season 1 (same players as fantasy high, urban fantasy in New York), and Escape from the Bloodkeep (short mini-season with different players)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 18, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Where was the announcement announced?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah of the players I only know Brennan Lou and Emily but that's already enough to guarantee mayhem. I cannot wait for the inevitable point where all three are trying to one up each other.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given how successful this has been I wouldn't be surprised if from now on every season is followed by an auction for that season shortly thereafter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grant's tips series is pretty gold. Love grant tisching all over '5 tips on cooking for one' to cap it off.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 24, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The disclaimer on the new Make Some Noise is so accurate Gilbert would have approved wholeheartedly

Midway through, but drat that JonBenet Ramsey pickup line

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey how much did the other PCs and big items end up going for in the Crown of Candy auction? And did anyone add up the total in the end?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I am a little sad I didn't get to see Emily and Brennan work together to break DnD though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I haven't even started yet but you better believe I'm gonna watch this Make Some Noise with SungWon Cho/ProZD, Caitlin Reilly, and Brian David Gilbert right drat away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Diving into Fey and Flowers, a few episodes in. I thought my favourites in advance would probably be Lou+Emily+Brennan (and they are spectacular) but at this point I'd watch an entire show just of Andhera being awkward.