Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I just finished Mice and Murder and for 95% of it, it’s was in the running to become my favorite season of D20, slipping by Unsleeping City S1. And then… that ending happened. Not going to lie, I had to pause cause I was laughing so hard at the absurdity of it, but I’ve never seen a more tone destroying single move in a tabletop game before and that includes anything I can remember from playing at age 13 during the height of “monkeycheese lolbearz” comedy.

Crestfallen Brennan still somehow yes and-ing that with the defeated “no, this is the all College humor cast season this is how it should go” was heartbreaking and hilarious. Going to guess they don’t touch on it in the Adventuring Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

tsob posted:

I remember that line from Brennan now that you mention it, but I couldn't tell you what happened. So can you remind me? I generally loved Mice & Murder, but cannot remember the ending all that well for some reason.

Grant is pushed out the window by the BBEG and Rekha gets crippling decision paralysis when Brennan implies there’s no box on the character sheet that she can read to save him and she’ll have to come up with something on her own. It seems she horribly misinterprets this despite Grant and Sam suggesting she try to grab him.

Instead Daisy Dumpstair who canonically demolished the upstairs bathroom, attempts to poo poo out the window and create a jurassic park stegosaurus pile to break his fall. Everyone is horrified both in and out of game as Brennan makes the BBEG lose a turn in horror.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It’s really good. That decision is just way out of a left field in an entirely different ballpark. Would love to see Grant or Sam come back. Katie and Raph had their moments but it never felt like they fully committed to the bit and I wonder if being in person would have made them open up more.

How is Tiny Heist. Some stuff I’ve read suggests the McElroys are incredibly annoying and steamroll the game. I’m not super familiar with them outside of the little youtube series where they use character creators in video games so I have no real opinion, just trying to figure out if that or the rest of the Fantasy High CU is next after i finish Unsleeping 2.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 23, 2022

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Play It By Ear is extremely not for me, but if you are someone whom it is for, you're going to love it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I took a peak at the Dropout Discord for the first time ever and just lmao what a dumpster.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

What makes a good vs. a bad discord? I had a look and it seems like it's just the normal circle jerk that you get from most online communities.

I guess? There’s not very appealing. Spewing memes and solo liveposting into a void makes a discord of entirely white noise. I also noticed they were relentlessly dogpiling anyone with anything remotely critical of Play It.

I do really like how transparent Sam is though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ill just say as a D&D player of 25 years, Ep3: The rolls and tactics were bad BUT that still felt massively railroaded and the new mechanics are anti-player.

Really not vibing this season. The “darkness” feels edgelordy and forced.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Farg posted:

It all made sense to me when I realized it's a rogue like

I think this mechanic is why it feels forced. He did that to the party to force a narrative instead of letting them discover it naturally and the end of the fight really showed that. That 3d10 was totally made up bullshit to kill Murph. It’s good its an actual play and obviously the team dynamic and structure is wildly different than a home table but in one if a DM wasted 2.5 hours in a slog of a combat to introduce his mechanics and plot I wouldn’t sit for session 2. It’s really bad form and even in AP form not especially entertaining.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I mean if anyone can take traditionally bad DM habits and make it work its an S+ pro DM who has made some of my all time fav DnD. The jury is still out until we know what/how these mechanics work and what the overall plot is but it was a big turn off on what has already been, personally, an aesthetically unappealing season. Late era Tim Burton Hot Topic-core isn’t my jam.

Good thing the funny haha shows on Dropout have been killing it the last few weeks and Adventuring Academy’s return is very welcome. I can watch BLM talk DM theory forever.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think if we really can’t know until we see next week. If the series’ mechanics are roguelike or a “going hollow” Dark Souls thing then there’s no way this wasn’t a forced TPK. Remember they’re filming this over a few days and the major plot points/battles have to be known in advance so they can be built. Mechanics like that can’t be birthed on the fly. The fact he was still giving red gems to dead characters makes me think that’s where its headed.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 16, 2022

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I will say this episode is also a good argument for just starting your 5e party at Level 3.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Did AcoC come out before GoT ended or did it just predict the coming Danarys twist

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I love that the goal for everyone else was to spook them and make them jumpy and for Brennan it was to trigger his competitiveness. I think the game worked out far better than if it was just three people getting anxious.

Also Carolyn is a great addition to CH who I would like to see more of. Her Breaking News spots are very fun.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lou finding out what the game was and immediately smashing the guitar against the wall with no hesitation is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 8, 2023

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don’t think they ever got the momentum back after the TPK

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I mean Brennan’s season was a Critical Role prequel. Sorta surprised we didn’t see this coming.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wow. A breaking news with Amy where she didn't run up a huge loving score.

I really thought she had a chance for a minute there.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gaz-L posted:

The GoFundMe one is the one that hits me both in the funny bone but also as legit satire that is barely exaggerated

The skype one is incredible and probably just a documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I’ve been out of the loop in D20 since Neverafter since it landed with a big clunk for me and I gave up around episode 6. How’s Junior Year and what else dropped since then worth checking out?