Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The sort of late 1990's post-cold war modern military nerdery on display in this series is just amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I think the tiebreak there between Republic backup and Anju being the source of the fire support is the garbled communications. That seems more likely to be Republic para-raid comms not quite working right with the setup they have than Anju's comms being scrambled from an emp-like effect of a near railgun hit.

Plus there's the fact that I feel like we really gotta have Lena and Shin reunite to wrap up the season.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

NowonSA posted:

I think the tiebreak there between Republic backup and Anju being the source of the fire support is the garbled communications. That seems more likely to be Republic para-raid comms not quite working right with the setup they have than Anju's comms being scrambled from an emp-like effect of a near railgun hit.

Plus there's the fact that I feel like we really gotta have Lena and Shin reunite to wrap up the season.

Especially if Lena is still pulling the "connect to everyone in range" move.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

NowonSA posted:

Hey, could always have them reunite in the afterlife after Shin gets loving obliterated in that self-destruct. Lol

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

kirtar posted:

Especially if Lena is still pulling the "connect to everyone in range" move.

That's a good point. I assumed she knew Shin was out there and was trying to reach out to him, but she could easily be on "broadcast all" mode and he's just picking up a garbled version of the transmission for any number of reasons (the modified tech not transmitting or receiving on the same frequency being the most obvious possibility).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Shin could be hearing that directly from his ESP.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Final episodes kick off next week on Sunday.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ahh it will be nice to finish this.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Is there another season coming after this, or is this the final curtain?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Squidster posted:

Is there another season coming after this, or is this the final curtain?

One is not currently announced. There is additional story beyond where this season will end though, so it could be adapted. Next stopping point would probably require a 2 cour season.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Did the anime do well domestically?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Did the anime do well domestically?

At least with English audiences it won a handful of awards and topped (or nearly topped) the reddit engagement metrics for both seasons it was on.

I don't know about the Japanese audience though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

At least with English audiences it won a handful of awards and topped (or nearly topped) the reddit engagement metrics for both seasons it was on.

I don't know about the Japanese audience though.

Averaged nearly 2,000 DVDs sold per volume, and the popularity polling for the seasons at least gave it a mention. It doesn't seem like it was a smash success, but it did okay.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Penultimate episode is out now. My thoughts on it:
Finally we see that Lena survived. I really liked this rendition on the meeting between Shin and Lena and all the really cringy (after the fact) stuff she said to Shin completely unaware that it was him. I don't remember Frederica getting saved by Kiriya in the LN, so if that was a change it was a good one, I could have just forgotten though. I do like that Cyclops totally realized it was Shin but kept her mouth shut when she realized he didn't want to let Lena know yet.

A real shame it took so long for this episode to come out, but they've really done justice to this scene, so I'm glad it came out really well.

One more episode left!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Happy it came back. Shame production was so hard it was delayed this long

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Happy it came back. Shame production was so hard it was delayed this long

Production seems to have gotten messy, but I think it's worth noting how, despite the delays, none of the episodes look bad. Normally this kind of thing breaks down before it collapses, rather than keeping up this quality.

I wonder how much of this trouble comes from the director being a rookie. Guy's clearly got talent, but running a complicated show like this can't be easy first time out.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Kurena's so sad that she knows her ship has sailed :kiddo:

chiasaur11 posted:

Production seems to have gotten messy, but I think it's worth noting how, despite the delays, none of the episodes look bad. Normally this kind of thing breaks down before it collapses, rather than keeping up this quality.

I wonder how much of this trouble comes from the director being a rookie. Guy's clearly got talent, but running a complicated show like this can't be easy first time out.

There was one scene that to my mind (back during the initial airing), I think really needed a second pass. When they're using that special plane to hot drop Shin & Co behind enemy lines its a black plane on a black background so it was really hard to see it veer off presumably to crash land; I had to go back and rewatch it because I really felt like I was missing something which they were seeing. So its remarkable when that's like the only that comes to mind, heck yeah the show was definitely doesn't really seem at all like a show with production problems.

Compare to I'm a Spider so What :sigh:

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 13, 2022

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

eh, i kinda feel like they could've spiced up some of the bland talking head stuff that went on during preparation of this big offensive but not like we'll ever know

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

dogsicle posted:

eh, i kinda feel like they could've spiced up some of the bland talking head stuff that went on during preparation of this big offensive but not like we'll ever know

The thing is, like, I don't think they were too far off from how other similar scenes are depicted in more war movies?

For example(s):

The Expanse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjFfw7dcYqY

West Wing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K31aprx9Nc

U-571: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI3QaSoJado

Inglorious Bastards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Azs_6uaCA

And it isn't like they didn't use visual language to good effect during at least some of 86's "meeting" scenes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

And it isn't like they didn't use visual language to good effect during at least some of 86's "meeting" scenes.

I thought they did quite a good job in their shot framing and set dressing for the talking head scenes actually! I tried to point out my thoughts on them as we came across them throughout the series.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

one of those is S1 and the others are S2 on either side of the bigger production collapse that resulted in eps 17-18 being the sort of boring talking head eps i was talking about

the show has definitely framed things interestingly in the past, it's that at the lowest point they weren't even hitting that bar and it was definitely noticeable/negatively impacting my enjoyment.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I really liked the effect they used with the letterboxing this episode, Lena just outright walking over top of it, it slowly becoming transparent and then going away entirely once Shin realized he does in fact have reason and want to live. :unsmith:

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Overlord K posted:

I really liked the effect they used with the letterboxing this episode, Lena just outright walking over top of it, it slowly becoming transparent and then going away entirely once Shin realized he does in fact have reason and want to live. :unsmith:

it's so loving cool. i love all the weird artifice in their conversation too

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
also,

galagazombie posted:

With all these delays at this point I’m expecting the rest of the season to go full Evangelion and have the last few episodes be a bunch of unanimated pencil sketches and a two minute high school romcom segment.

i was reading through this thread as i caught up tonight and it's awesome that this 3 month old post technically came true (in the sense that we got a cool experimental instrumentality type scene that ruled)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Overlord K posted:

It was great.

When she first talks through the link so he can finally hear her voice and recognize her is when she crosses the black letterbox.

which is when Voices of the Chord starts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxz-W6rNscM

And as she finally gives her name and crosses the wreckage seperating her and Shin in the frame the song swells with these lyrics:

"All the roads inside my head loop back to you
I’ve done many things I’d thought I’d never do
It’s you that I can feel
But I keep my hands
Upon the wheel

I turn the page to drown you out
You are the only thing that I still care about
If I can heal the conflict that’s within
I’ll know the war has reached its bitter end"

And the last of the black letterboxing disappears to be replace with white, translucent instead.

and as she tells him he can be proud of what he's done to get here

That token from the mech finally drops down in the cabin, lost to him, now that something he cares about other than dragging along the corpses of the dead has returned to him.

Honestly, it was everything I could have hoped for in this scene. I really hope we see more stuff from this director because this is really great work from them.

edit:
I did get a chuckle out of Cyclops getting really frustrated at Lena handing over her gun.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 14, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Honestly, it was everything I could have hoped for in this scene. I really hope we see more stuff from this director because this is really great work from them.

Apparently, this episode was directed by the show's overall director, Toshimasa Ishii. It's his first time running a series, but he's been in the industry for over a decade now, and from what I can see the show's reasonably successful in selling merch and DVDs, so it's likely it's not going to be his last time running a series. (Although next time will hopefully avoid these hiccups leading to delayed episodes.)

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Another part of the letterboxing which I only realized due to someone pointing it out was actually the part where Shin loses an arm in his wild trip is cause the letterboxing cuts down across it.

It's some crazy stuff that I've never seen done with letterboxing before, really cool.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Did Shin not actually recognize Milize through the camera feed? Did he just think it was a random female San Magnolian captain?

Do the LN's detail how San Magnolia is still putting up resistance or will we probably get that next episode?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
None of the 86 ever saw Lena's face except for Raiden, briefly, when she hijacked his vision towards the end of the first cour.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Did Shin not actually recognize Milize through the camera feed? Did he just think it was a random female San Magnolian captain?

Do the LN's detail how San Magnolia is still putting up resistance or will we probably get that next episode?

They'd never seen their handlers (Lena included). That's why his face changed when she turned on her mind link since he recognized her voice.

The anime is *slightly* different from the LN here as there wasn't lip reading software there. The mic and speakers for Shin were just hosed so he couldn't hear her well enough to recognize her, and she couldn't recognize him because of his hosed up mic. At least until Lena gave her name. Frederica was also in the cockpit with him and heard everything and teased him incessantly about it afterward.

I like the way the anime did it more.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Conspiratiorist posted:

None of the 86 ever saw Lena's face except for Raiden, briefly, when she hijacked his vision towards the end of the first cour.

Oh wow I can't believe I forgot! :doh:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nitrousoxide posted:

They'd never seen their handlers (Lena included). That's why his face changed when she turned on her mind link since he recognized her voice.

The anime is *slightly* different from the LN here as there wasn't lip reading software there. The mic and speakers for Shin were just hosed so he couldn't hear her well enough to recognize her, and she couldn't recognize him because of his hosed up mic. At least until Lena gave her name. Frederica was also in the cockpit with him and heard everything and teased him incessantly about it afterward.

I like the way the anime did it more.
Man it really does sound like the show elevates its source material (not that the source is bad), that lip reading scene was so effective.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Started watching this on a whim and finally finished all the available episodes. The audio in this is on another level. Music choices are good, they aren't afraid of silence, cutting out dialogue or sound effects and leaving the rest of the poo poo in, voice acting is great, it's unreal. I can't believe how much I've enjoyed this show so far.

Also ep 22 I'm torn on how I want things to go from here. On one hand, having Lena and Shin actually reunite would be cool. On the other, sticking with Shin & the gang would probably be better cuz Soundbite/Scrambled Comms Lena is a top tier character. Also everything about Pale Horse was amazing.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Worth the wait. Very well done. The cockpit hatch being dramatically slow or fast depending on the situation was a little frustrating.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm not up to speed on where we're at in the LN's at this point, and it'd be odd to spring right into a massive Morpho-level threat quickly, but for some reason I have a vibe that the next 86 anime project will be a big OVA adapting one of the LN's. Maybe I just have Konosuba on the brain though, since that was the approach taken there.

I can respect the tease, but since they'll all presumably be part of the same big ol' army at this point I feel like it shouldn't be delayed too long. I know I'd certainly be fine with a big reunion at an army base somewhere to close out the season, after we what's presumably the quick version of what the Major's been up to.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I'm not up to speed on where we're at in the LN's at this point, and it'd be odd to spring right into a massive Morpho-level threat quickly, but for some reason I have a vibe that the next 86 anime project will be a big OVA adapting one of the LN's. Maybe I just have Konosuba on the brain though, since that was the approach taken there.

I can respect the tease, but since they'll all presumably be part of the same big ol' army at this point I feel like it shouldn't be delayed too long. I know I'd certainly be fine with a big reunion at an army base somewhere to close out the season, after we what's presumably the quick version of what the Major's been up to.

The next episode finishes volume 3 of the light novels. It's called Handler 1, so it should have the reunion scenes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This episode was the best loving thing so far this year.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well that's the last episode folks. A really strong end.

A lot of the stuff in this episode was in the epilogue of the first volume of the LN, which is kind of why it's good to skip that an jump into volume 2 and 3 and then return to that epilogue.

They didn't leave any obvious hooks for a second season here, though there is a lot more LN material to potentially cover. The legion aren't defeated yet after all. Overall, this has been my favorite anime of the past decade so I'm really happy to see it so well done. They left off on a hopeful note with at least some Alba accepting the 86, and the 86 getting an out with Giad citizenship.

Also:

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 19, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's rare I've been able to enjoy and appreciate a show on so many levels that manages to stick the landing and be able to confidently state that this show was basically perfect in every way.

I like how one way we can tell how much Spearhead has grown to accept Milize as one of them is that this ep and last ep they basically without reservation ship her with Shin. :3:

I think it's also interesting how much San Magnolia Kinda resembles occupied Germany post-WW2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I imagine we'll get a season 2 fairly soon, right?