Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Grouchio posted:

I imagine we'll get a season 2 fairly soon, right?

Nothing has currently been announced. Though it was a popular series, so it's not impossible.

Really liked the final song too. I don't think it's been on any of the OST's for the series so far, so maybe it'll get a single.

https://youtu.be/dfOsUNxc2Xg

Raenir Salazar posted:

I like how one way we can tell how much Spearhead has grown to accept Milize as one of them is that this ep and last ep they basically without reservation ship her with Shin. :3:

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBmjUoB5OPo

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That was such a perfect note to end it on, I'm not sure more is necessarily a good idea

That being said the stuff that takes place after the original one-volume story in the anime was all fairly decent, so y'know, it probably wouldn't be the WORST thing if they made more

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I want to see the reaction of anime-onlies to the ramp.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

drat, that was a good show.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
This show is so good and I'm so happy it exists. Top 5 all time for me. It's just. So. Good.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i wasn't happy about the no lena zone, but i think it ended up being a great narrative decision once it became clear what kind of story they wanted to tell in the second half of the show (shin is having an existential crisis). lena literally curb stomping shin's mental breakdown is going in the cathartic anime moments hall of fame.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Big Leg posted:

i wasn't happy about the no lena zone, but i think it ended up being a great narrative decision once it became clear what kind of story they wanted to tell in the second half of the show (shin is having an existential crisis). lena literally curb stomping shin's mental breakdown is going in the cathartic anime moments hall of fame.

Shin carried his comrades to their final resting place. Lena carried Shin's heart to it's final resting place.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nothing has currently been announced. Though it was a popular series, so it's not impossible.

I'm having trouble finding exactly how popular, although I'd appreciate if anyone could get ratings data. DVD sales aren't bad, but they aren't great either. Merchandise is selling well enough to get reprints, and there's been a boost to the books, but it's hard to say how much.

Judging by everything I've seen, this was expected to be big, so it's harder to assess if it's "Well, that hit the targets, no need to go in for more", "That did pretty well, we should make a second season", or even "Eh, that didn't quite make projections. No sense throwing more money at things".

Definitely wasn't a flop, but anything beyond that is hard to say.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Great finale to a weak season. The direction has returned to the highs of Part One, and the dull conference scenes that plagued Part Two have evaporated. What a bizarre development those were: in Part One, we saw the military exclusively through Vladlena's eyes as she talked to Jerome and Anette, two well-developed, plot-relevant characters she had close relationships with. In Part Two, meanwhile, we have not only Grethe and President Zimmerman but a host of other personnel, all of whom are almost entirely siloed off from Nordlicht Squadron. This implies a more communicative and functional officer class than what San Magnolia had, but it makes for some really boring scenes. Hopefully a third season (fingers crossed!) will spice them up a bit—really, just throwing Vladlena into the mix would do a lot.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

First shot of episode 1 to last shot of the final episode.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I keep trying to figure out if Giad is a US expy nation or a Russia expy nation or a weird hybrid mix; like what if America was like Russia. I don't think I've seen any cyrillic writing to indicate it but we have seen I think some German and English; while San Magnolia is largely French?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Giad is roughly based on Germany while San Magnolia is roughly based on France.

The other two countries we know about, Roa Gracia, and Wald are based on Great Britain, and The Swiss Confederation.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 20, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Giad is roughly based on Germany while San Magnolia is roughly based on France.

The other countries that took park in the Morpho operation take their inspiration from other European countries too, but I won't say which ones until/if the anime gets there.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Another thing I'm sorta curious about but is it *every* country that's not able to get to the sea? Or do some have sea access but specifically San Magnolia did not? I get the sense that all of the nations we've seen basically surround the Legion controlled territory (thereby the Legion keep San Magnolia isolated from the coalition members); but are there also other legion forces on other fronts?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

One small touch I liked in this episode was the general in charge of San Magnolia this episode had pictures on his desk with him smiling next to some 86 as he gives the standard buddy-buddy politician poses.

The 86 are not smiling.

At first, I wondered if that was a "This guy's in charge because he's not as racist", but with the cat hating him, I'm leaning towards it being a semi-desperate "Look! I'm a good guy! Look at me hanging out with people of different ethnicities like we're all pals! I certainly wasn't on board with any genocide plans!" when talking to the only people who can save his rear end.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Another thing I'm sorta curious about but is it *every* country that's not able to get to the sea? Or do some have sea access but specifically San Magnolia did not? I get the sense that all of the nations we've seen basically surround the Legion controlled territory (thereby the Legion keep San Magnolia isolated from the coalition members); but are there also other legion forces on other fronts?

Giad pulled forces off of other fronts for the Morpho mission in the west.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

chiasaur11 posted:

One small touch I liked in this episode was the general in charge of San Magnolia this episode had pictures on his desk with him smiling next to some 86 as he gives the standard buddy-buddy politician poses.

The 86 are not smiling.

At first, I wondered if that was a "This guy's in charge because he's not as racist", but with the cat hating him, I'm leaning towards it being a semi-desperate "Look! I'm a good guy! Look at me hanging out with people of different ethnicities like we're all pals! I certainly wasn't on board with any genocide plans!" when talking to the only people who can save his rear end.

It was 100% him trying to get out in front of things with a photo op. Notice those Giad officers giving him the evil eye throughout the whole scene.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Great ending, super glad it stuck the landing and probably gonna think about 86 a lot when I think about good anime from now on.

Hope we someday get a S2 even if it takes years to come around, I've been patient for worse shows. :unsmith:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

It was 100% him trying to get out in front of things with a photo op. Notice those Giad officers giving him the evil eye throughout the whole scene.

And him sweating in a panic, yeah.

It's great.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I do have some hope for a season 2. They did introduce a character Dustin who appears in future volumes this episode.

For those who read the LN, it was here

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Those two characters seemed more detailed than usual; but a lot of the Albans are surprisingly varied in appearance; the show has high quality for its extras.

chiasaur11 posted:

The 86 are not smiling.

As I remarked earlier there's a very aptly similar feeling to "1945 Occupied Germany" vibes to San Magnolia atm. Giad are here and rescued them but implicitly/defacto are also pointing guns at the Albans whose military which originally mainly consisted of the 86 as their actual fighting troops now being freed SM is basically de facto under military occupation from Giad/86 coalition force. Kinda like Iraq with the US forces and Kurdish forces? I assume there was a "soft" coup as well; with either the Republic's civilian government and most of their military being wiped out by the Legion.

I imagine whatever was pieced together when Giad arrived did so with their involvement to insure the current San Magolian military is one who was willing to sign off on 86 liberation; basically the Republic's Doenitz being asked to sign the surrender papers.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

The 86 are not smiling.

I’d like to point out the picture with his family on the right clearly has them as Alba with dyed hair. You can see the Alban eyes and skin tone on the kid and wife.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i actually didn't remember him having been around before, nor did i peg the family pic as being dyed hair. but the "i'm a good guy, i promise!" energy from the pictures/scene is incredibly strong so the joke still landed

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

I’d like to point out the picture with his family on the right clearly has them as Alba with dyed hair. You can see the Alban eyes and skin tone on the kid and wife.

lmfao. that explains the insane hair colors

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Nitrousoxide posted:

First shot of episode 1 to last shot of the final episode.

Stuff like this is so easy to do with even limited forethought, but drat does it seem impressive when it's pulled off. Nice catch!

drat, I didn't catch that either! The people behind this show know what's up. I really respect them for crafting a finale that's told a complete story for the arc of its main characters, but leaves room for more to come if it gets picked up. It's definitely one of the better executions of that "we gotta craft a finale but don't know if we'll be renewed" situation that I've seen in anime, which is of course very common across most standard TV shows.

It might take awhile, but I think we'll get more 86 eventually. Even if it had high expectations, I thought the overall show was executed very well and obviously dealt with some intense themes. Based on the bits of the light novel I've read, I also get the sense that it elevated the material from the page a lot.

I think its ability to engage with the audience in that emotional "here's a parable about the horrors of war and racism" way is going to be a tiebreak factor in a renewal decision. To me it executed that angle of the story better than Gundam ever has, for example, and that's had decades and loads of series to try to portray similar themes. Gundam's obviously the grand-daddy of the genre, but if it's going to get 20 bites at the apple, I think a show like 86 deserves at least two or three.

So many characters dying early in the story was very effective and gut-wrenching (in a good way) to me, so I think it'd be a hell of a ride to see this story through all the way to the Legions defeat and see how many characters from the ending photo are left standing by the end of it.

Elephant Parade posted:

I like that the Giad people there (who absolutely must be wielding the actual power now) clearly aren't buying that guy's bullshit at all. It's also great that he didn't spring for color contacts and try to play it off like he'd somehow been married to a particularly pale 86 the whole time. That picture gave a great justification for wild anime hair colors, and it's yet another thing I missed. I'll give myself some credit and say that I watched the last episode while really sleepy, so I'm not totally blind to the easter eggs/details on the screen. Still, at this point I'm expecting to check in on the thread in a week and see 10 more cool details that went right over my head.

My one light complaint about the wrap-up is that a two-month barely held together defense with Alba and 86 all mashed together fighting desperately sounds like it'd contain enough compelling story beats to last at least an episode or two. Maybe we could see some relevant flashbacks to that in a future season, maybe as part of setting up an antagonist who is an 86 and wants the Republic to truly pay for its crimes? I could see that being an interesting long-term story or even just a short-term "war is hell" situation where an 86 just went around killing Alba during that siege time and Lena was part of catching them and setting up their execution. I think she had the Bloody Regina nickname before then, but something like that would be a hell of an origin story for that. I'm just wildly tossing out ideas of things that could've gone on in that situation, but it seems like a missed story opportunity at the moment.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 20, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

It's an absurd amount of detail in a tiny little visual gag that 90% of the audience won't catch on their own.

This show.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

just realized the funniest part of this: he got the idea from Lena

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Nitrousoxide posted:

I do have some hope for a season 2. They did introduce a character Dustin who appears in future volumes this episode.

For those who read the LN, it was here

wow, that's really not how I imagined them looking.

Sair
May 11, 2007

A satisfying end for one of the better shows of the last few years.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Elephant Parade posted:

just realized the funniest part of this: he got the idea from Lena

Lena's red hair stripe is absolutely wonderful. It's also funny to me that our 86 heroes never saw her without it, so they might be like "oh I guess she's just fashionable as hell, cool cool." and not recognize it as a sign that she's built different from the other Alba.

This was absolutely a stuck landing, and I'm glad they were able to persevere through the pandemic to ultimately get it all out there. After seeing how well this team managed with semi-decent mechs and no operational support, I want to see how this fully assembled team operates with fellow 86 veterans in top of the line prototype machines, an Ace handler at the helm who helped hold the Republic from being overwhelmed for two goddamn months, and all the mortars and planes that money can buy. I'd be totally up for skipping ahead 3-6 months from where we left off with the 86 elite squad having almost no casualties and having been very effective at starting to fight back the Legion (such as by reducing their ability to assemble new mechs) before poo poo hits the fan through the course of the season.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Question for the LN readers: do the other two nations Giad made contact with feature "on screen" at all? I was hoping we'd see quick scenes of their battles during the big offensive but it didn't happen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

Question for the LN readers: do the other two nations Giad made contact with feature "on screen" at all? I was hoping we'd see quick scenes of their battles during the big offensive but it didn't happen.

The later LNs prominently feature Giad (and Spearhead/Nordlicht) working with other nations against the Legion. It'll be the primary means by which the cast is expanded from now onwards.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Help I can't stop rewatching those last 4 minutes.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Nice capstone. So nice it feels like we won't get more. I could get the LN but my monkey brain likes pictures so here's hoping there might be a manga that picks up where this left off.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Everyone seems to have missed biggest reveal of the episode

France exists somewhere apparently?!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Forgall posted:

Well, there's Italian food in Strangereal.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Forgall posted:

They also make references to real books from our world too. The author basically said in an aside at the end of Vol 1 or 2 to not worry about that. When you're wondering how they eat and breath, and other science facts, just think to yourself it's just a show, I should just really just relax.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

They also make references to real books from our world too. The author basically said in an aside at the end of Vol 1 or 2 to not worry about that. When you're wondering how they eat and breath, and other science facts, just think to yourself it's just a show, I should just really just relax.

on the one hand, yes you're right, they're just using french toast because we all know what that means and what it takes to make french toast. it makes the scene work better.

on the other hand, ALSO it means that the literal france exists. no other countries from our world, just france, bagguettes and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Just pretend that Aizen is making us see 'french' toast instead of 'magnolia toast'