Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Testing at Barber for a small handful of teams and drivers, including Nico Hulkenberg, Indy Lights runner-up David Maluka, and Ryan Hunter-Reay with ECR.

No word on any of those leading to deals for next season yet, but it wouldn't be a shock if Hulkenberg gets at least a partial schedule with McLaren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I imagine if Hulkenberg wants to race Indycar he will get a ride pretty easily.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Kirkwood is at Foyt.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What's this I hear about Detroit going away from Belle Isle and who thought it was a good idea?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It's going away from Belle Isle because I guess NIMBYS were upset they lost a week or two of access to the island over the course of the whole year?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

It's because GM wants it, the only place I've heard about NIMBYs is here

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Yeah I'm down to see what kinda street circuit they end up with. I've never been in love with Bell Isle.

This news about Kirkwood to the Foyt car is killing me, though. They been doin Lights champions DIRTY the last few years. But DeFrancesco getting the Andretti seat instead? loving madness. I hope Kirkwood pulls off some upsets and moves on.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
I've skipped watching Detroit for the past few years, I've always found it to be the most boring race of the season. So now there's hope.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Reynold posted:

Yeah I'm down to see what kinda street circuit they end up with. I've never been in love with Bell Isle.

:magemage:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Hated the track in IndyCar Racing 2.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lmao

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The 14 also lost their engineer so Kirkwood has his work cut out for him.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

there have already been some Google Street View investigations of this map and they are predictably hilarious.

but hey we get the Detroit race around GM's headquarters building, so can't complain too much.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

but hey we get the Detroit race around GM's headquarters building, so can't complain too much.

All-Honda podium, here we come.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Bentai posted:

It's going away from Belle Isle because I guess NIMBYS were upset they lost a week or two of access to the island over the course of the whole year?

The biggest surprise here is that people still live in Detroit.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
If you think IndyCar needs something to jazz it up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7x7Deq5oDA

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

That hairpin at the far left end is going to lead to at least one full-field pileup like Baltimore did, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5QQxP9eK-I&t=201s

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Man, it’s too bad Baltimore couldn’t keep going, it was actually a decent race once they got some of the stupid poo poo out of the way.

The first year was a complete clusterfuck though, the promoter had no idea of what he was doing.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Take this with a grain of salt, but apparently Rossi is out at Andretti come 2023. Kirkwood would replace him.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Frond posted:

Take this with a grain of salt, but apparently Rossi is out at Andretti come 2023. Kirkwood would replace him.

I'm assuming you got this from pruetts podcast last week where he said from what he's heard, Rossi could win every race in 2022 and it wouldn't matter, it's already been decided.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Quick news roundup, starting with Rossi:

• Rossi is 'downsizing' his non-IndyCar racing this year, after the Rolex 24 at the least, which is also a fancy way of saying He's Got a Contract Year. "It’s a critical year for me in a lot of respects, and I just want to make sure that what we’re doing with all the other stuff, I’ll revisit in the future. But it’s not on my immediate horizon.” Rossi has really suffered in the aeroscreen era.
  • Looks like Dale Coyne with Vasser Sullivan will be without Vasser Sullivan for 2022, and sounds like another partner will fill that gap. Still TBD with what Vasser-Sullivan will do for 2022, but it sounds like they want to do a partnership before starting their own shop in the future.
  • Nyck de Vries remains fast, may be an option for 2023 if he doesn't want to continue in Formula E or get any further options as a factory driver.

It's still really good to see silly season producing some actual noteworthy news, and not teams having to leave.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
What's going on with Carlin?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Frond posted:

What's going on with Carlin?

The Carlin truck was at the Juncos shop in Indy a lot lately. Take from that what you will.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I imagine they are done.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

PT is out of the broadcast booth next year, and it's about loving time. Unfortunately, we're probably getting Hinch. Two steps forward, one step back.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Mayor of Hinchtown references to jump 12,000%. Almost makes me want PT back.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Reynold posted:

PT is out of the broadcast booth next year, and it's about loving time. Unfortunately, we're probably getting Hinch. Two steps forward, one step back.

CactusWeasle posted:

what the gently caress

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

one dumb nickname - or - PT being weird about Danica's shoes and having general brain poisoning

yes, clearly these are two balanced things.

Cygni posted:

The Carlin truck was at the Juncos shop in Indy a lot lately. Take from that what you will.

honestly wouldn't be surprised if Max Chilton wasn't looking to take his money elsewhere, this seems like the time to go sports car racing instead. and without Chilton I doubt Carlin sticks around as an independent organization.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
https://racer.com/2021/12/09/karam-ferrucci-get-dreyer-reinbold-call-up-for-indy-500/

I try not to let my personal prejudices cloud my judgement but holey moley, I don't think there is a driver lineup that is more overhyped than this one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reminder that Hinch has been aiming at the booth since approximately Forever ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rrVGjARN9I

Frond posted:

https://racer.com/2021/12/09/karam-ferrucci-get-dreyer-reinbold-call-up-for-indy-500/

I try not to let my personal prejudices cloud my judgement but holey moley, I don't think there is a driver lineup that is more overhyped than this one.

Karam is absolutely overhyped. Ferucci is a pile of poo poo in human form, and overhyped everywhere but Indy... but the turd can actually drive well there.

Well enough to get a win? I hope never.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Reminder that Hinch has been aiming at the booth since approximately Forever ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rrVGjARN9I

Karam is absolutely overhyped. Ferucci is a pile of poo poo in human form, and overhyped everywhere but Indy... but the turd can actually drive well there.

Well enough to get a win? I hope never.

Hinch did well in the booth with AB on CBS last year for SRX.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Jabroni and Human Dogshit Racing

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
In better news, Sato confirmed at DCRwRWR for the full year: https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/sato-coyne-interview-2022-potential/6866388/

I hope they can get him a good engineer since Boisson moved with Big John over to Andretti.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bennyfactor posted:

In better news, Sato confirmed at DCRwRWR for the full year: https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/sato-coyne-interview-2022-potential/6866388/

I hope they can get him a good engineer since Boisson moved with Big John over to Andretti.

Quoting to keep this gif around because :japan:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

double posting because it appears we've also lost Big Al this year :smith:

https://twitter.com/TakumaSatoRacer/status/1469204493112066050?s=20

him and Uncle Bobby gone in a year, plus of course Robin Miller...glad we got so many good stories from them in the last few years.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jimmie decided he had so much fun running in the high teens and low 20s last year that he wants to do it again this year, but full time!

https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2...mnvh7YjyN4xD1HU

I wonder what this means for TK. I know there was talk of a 5th car at Indy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Have you chaps heard of this 500 mile race?

(March 1, 1919 Edmonton Journal)

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
IndyCar 2022: Five Hundred Mile Race is Popular Now

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
If you ever want to remind yourself that American Open Wheel has always been its worst enemy, check out the copies of Motor Age that are on the internet archive. The AAA vs ACA fight was CART vs IRL 80 years before.

There still needs to be a sim about that era, racing on board tracks and bricks and then going through the country roads of Long Island or the suburban streets of Santa Monica. Closest we have is the 1923 mods for AC, the Delage and Sunbeam from that era both raced in the AAA.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

one dumb nickname - or - PT being weird about Danica's shoes and having general brain poisoning

yes, clearly these are two balanced things.

honestly wouldn't be surprised if Max Chilton wasn't looking to take his money elsewhere, this seems like the time to go sports car racing instead. and without Chilton I doubt Carlin sticks around as an independent organization.

It's not just his sponsor money, the Chilton family essentially own Carlin and have done since they finished loving up the other British team they bought.