Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
My boy Kirkwood not having a great start to the Lights season, I hope he turns it around fast. Looking forward to this season in Indycar, lots of great drivers and teams showing promise. O'Ward's pole position made me happy. Jimmy being last in everything is lol as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

End of lights race 2 was chaotic, dang

All I had to do was post about Kirkwood and he gained 4 positions. Lots of tire wear right there at the finish.

I'm somewhat disappointed that PT is still on the broadcast team. Seriously, gently caress that fuckin guy. Hinch should accept his fate, retire from racing, and replace him.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 18, 2021

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lmaooooo

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

GutBomb posted:

With all the money Carvana is spending on ads today I don’t think they expected Jimmie Johnson to spend most of the race as a lapped car.

I was thinking the same thing, like lmao Jimmy totally cashed in this year and is gonna go out making bank with his "This is my dream" shtick and the sponsors that flocked to it, funding an opportunity to run in the series he admired as a kid like a victory lap on his career. While it would be cool to see some spirited races and podiums, I don't expect to see that out of Jimmy Johnson.

I was actually impressed with Ericsson today, and Bourdais. It was a solid top 5 there at the end, what with the chaos of that big crash taking some expected contenders out, and the strategy mix.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I'm a bigger fan of the halo than the screen, personally, though I admit that smaller objects potentially impacting the driver is a possibility. In RHR's case, I think the tire would've been deflected just fine by a halo, but depending upon the angle, the front wing end plate would've been my concern there. Either was, I'm glad nobody was hurt. It seems like RHR has been inches from death quite a few times over the last couple of years. Wickens' car breaking the roll hoop in half comes to mind.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

V for Vegans posted:

So I’ve never followed indycar before but I decided to check it out this weekend since it’s a street circuit and not an oval. I went to check my channel guide to see when the events are happening and saw practice this morning (in just a few minutes even) and then a race tomorrow. Are they only showing qualifying on peacock or is the final practice also qualifying?

Qualifying is separate, and it's Peacock only as far as I can see. You get Indy Lights as well on there. I think it's worth the cost of admission, qualifications can be a lot of fun to watch.

USF-2000 Race 1 was a fuckin brawl just now, was there like 10 wrecked cars and 5 yellow flags?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

The ovals are limited to Texas (double header), Gateway, and Indy this year, even. Only 4 of the 17 races will be ovals. I still miss Pocono, but without some new safety measures it seems like a deathtrap for Indycar. Richmond would have been cool, too, but COVID killed that one before we even got a chance. And Iowa, while I'm at it, was a cool track that I guess is shut down pending finding a buyer for the place. Past that, I'm not interested in Indycar on ovals that aren't unique in some way. Phoenix was trash and I'm glad to see it gone. Watching NASCAR run 400 mile races on tracks that aren't distinct from one another in any major way bores the hell out of me, and I'd hate to see that in this series as well.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Number_6 posted:

The Texas race was a lot better when they could run a higher line and keep the cars wheel-to-wheel longer. What's wrong with that new track surface?

Edit: or I could have just Googled before posting:

"Last year, a resin called PJ1 was applied to the 1.5-mile oval in hopes it would help the NASCAR shows with overtaking but it had an adverse effect on IndyCars as Scott Dixon dominated (leading 157 of 200 laps) in what was primarily a one-groove race. But, in preparation for the May 1-2 doubleheader, TMS president Eddie Gossage and his crew have been working flat out to remove the PJ1 and hopefully restore the kind of side-by-side competition that’s been delivered since 1997."

It's a surface put down by NASCAR for extra grip, but it doesn't play well with the rubber of Indycar tires. They pretty much ruined the track for Indycar by doing this. I was optimistic early on, but Texas isn't the same now. Sucks.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Seriously. Gossage was an idiot for that. Indycar should dump Texas and go to Iowa next year instead. Hell, I'd rather see CotA and drop another oval than do some single lane BS at Texas.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

Its actually not on the track, they've literally removed it and whats left is some odd chemical stain

When they start running in the black I'll stop complaining. Also, lmao PIETRO WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Hell yeah O'Ward! Too bad about Sato's bad pit stop, but this race got a little exciting at times. I still say that PJ1 areas have greatly diminished this track's appeal. Just watching people back way out of passes over and over again because they can't run those lanes in this state was frustrating.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lmao bitcoin sponsorship for ECR

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Grosjean on pole position is pretty fuckin cool.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Anyone know what's up with the Racing Electronics people? They don't have rentals available in their website for ANY Indycar events this year and don't have the OTA programmable scanners available anymore. Did Penske give them the boot in favor of another company or something?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I doubt Roger would have given them the boot but their presence at the track has been smaller and smaller and smaller every year. Wouldn't be surprised if they decided that they weren't getting enough out of Indycar to justify showing up anymore.

Well that sucks. Any other fan favorite over-the-air programmable scanners out there I should look into?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

devmd01 posted:

Just get a BC75XLT, they are cheap. You can program it via usb/serial. Also useful as a weather radio.

Snagged one this morning, got it running on my PC, and entered the frequencies for practice. Might not get to the track to test it until the weekend tho. Any advice for a total newb, things to enable/disable, etc?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Went to the GP, going to the 500 as well. Went out there for bump day too, it was pretty cool watching Power smack the wall but stay on the gas to make it in.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

devmd01 posted:

I just hope the forecast holds, the weather looks to be fantastic. I know what I’m getting into every year in the SW vista but it’s nice to not completely bake in the sun all day.

SW vista best vista

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I think they threw the red for Grosjean's crash because it was in a very narrow corner, which I don't necessarily disagree with, but they should've let Power's pit guy throw the fan on the car. He was standing right there with it and the official wouldn't let him do it until they got everyone parked, and that just nuked the ECU apparently.

Also, why the gently caress is Indycar coverage being eclipsed by goddamn lacrosse and tennis? gently caress this poo poo.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I get that this is like Jimmie's dream or some poo poo, but he really doesn't belong behind the wheel of an Indycar. It's just sad to watch him flail about and fail at every track. My father is a big NASCAR fan and doesn't really follow Indycar, so when we saw Jimmie at the Indy Grand Prix he asked me "Has he been doing this bad all season?" and I told him that it was his best showing yet. We both just shook our heads.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Bringing the car count up at the cost of the backmarkers being completely uncompetitive is how you get NASCAR. If an entry doesn't have the racing ability or the resources to run competitively, they don't really belong in the series imo. Try stepping down the ladder to Indy Lights or something instead. The best other drivers can say about JJ is that he gets the gently caress out of the way when being lapped (though he looked to hold a few people up today), and that's just sad. Dalton Kellet is another example, the dude clearly doesn't have the ability required to achieve results at the top level, but here he is, several laps down every raceday in a Foyt entry. Hell, Max Chilton got a top 10 today and regularly runs in the top 15 for Carlin, and while he isn't widely considered to be very good, he makes Kellet look like a chump.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Indycar coverage needs more drone and boom cameras that convey how awesome the road courses are with elevation changes and whatnot. It blew me away the first time I went to Mid-Ohio, because that poo poo looks absolutely flat on TV. The onboards are great for this too, but I feel like there's room to improve for sure. I also hate the lack of prompt podium celebrations being shown. F1 blows Indycar away in this regard, you could watch Indycar for years and never even know they give 2nd and 3rd place finishers a trophy. The points system isn't highlighted as well as it could be either.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Douchebag posted:

Tracy got pissy with Hailie Deegan after the race in the SRX trailer too. It’s in her vlog from the SRX race this week. He comes off as a huge baby and everyone else had her back.

lmao this makes the whole series worth watching imo

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Does anyone know if the radio frequencies are the same for the race this weekend as they were for the 500? I don't know if the teams switch it up or if they stay the same.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

They usually keep the same frequencies through the year, and often the same for a given car year to year.

Dope. I had to add the Xfinity series and set up for cup tomorrow as well. I do all my programming digitally in advance, and was hoping for it to be simple.

I'll be hitting up local breakfast spot Love Handle for some amazing goddamn food, and then head to the track shortly after. It's gonna be a good weekend. Hell, I took next week off work and head to St. Louis Wednesday, it's gonna be a good couple of weekends.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Indy Lights was a disaster, the Cooper Tires didn't hold up in race 1, so they threw a mandatory 10 minute pit stop in the middle of race two and they STILL didn't last, two finishes under caution, which was lame af. My boy Kirkwood deserves better. The fuckin power got knocked out to a bunch of the track during the truck race, which they got back going after like 45 minutes, but the racing was decent there before and after. In Indycar I enjoyed watching Grosjean figure things out, and while I'm glad to see O'Ward on top of the championship, I hate that Veekay nailed Palou and Dixon to get him there. Plenty of attrition to go around though.

Still, it was another good race weekend in (East) St. Louis.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Fun race! I missed what happened with Grosjean, did he hit a wall?

Yup, didn't look that bad, but broke something.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Nah, Kellett is a bad pay driver in a bad car. His best season in open wheel racing was 2018 Indy Lights, where he repeatedly achieved top five finishes due to there only being seven loving cars on the grid. I guess he routinely finished on the podium in the Freedom 100, but that doesn't really make up for Never Winning Anything Ever. He is my current go-to example of a talentless driver with lots of daddy's money to buy his way into the sport.

There have been lots of drivers that have come and gone even in just the last decade, some of which had real talent but never got the opportunity to develop due to sponsorship and cash flow issues, or being unable to get the attention of a decent team, or even just being unlucky on track. Kellett spent three years racing for Andretti in Indy Lights and never did jack poo poo. He never showed any skill or even signs of improvement. Yeah, the 4 is a trash entry with no real support, but I don't think there's anything the team could have done to keep him from being the worst driver on the 2021 grid. If he's retained by the team for 2022, he'll probably be the worst driver next year as well.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah I'm down to see what kinda street circuit they end up with. I've never been in love with Bell Isle.

This news about Kirkwood to the Foyt car is killing me, though. They been doin Lights champions DIRTY the last few years. But DeFrancesco getting the Andretti seat instead? loving madness. I hope Kirkwood pulls off some upsets and moves on.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lmao

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

PT is out of the broadcast booth next year, and it's about loving time. Unfortunately, we're probably getting Hinch. Two steps forward, one step back.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Calderon to Foyt, driving the #11 full time this year. She's done well in the LMP2, I hope both she and Kirkwood can pull off some decent results this season.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

That kind of sucks, it's been a minute since a woman had a full-time ride, which I thought was the case here. Oh well, good for her anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

A Foyt entry won't do her any favors, but I would really be surprised if she ends up at the rear of the field consistently, considering who else is around the back of the pack equipment- or experience-wise with her.

Edit: Oh wait, Max is gone lol, maybe just in front of JJ and Kellet then? Oof.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 18, 2022