Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

V for Vegans posted:

So I’ve never followed indycar before but I decided to check it out this weekend since it’s a street circuit and not an oval. I went to check my channel guide to see when the events are happening and saw practice this morning (in just a few minutes even) and then a race tomorrow. Are they only showing qualifying on peacock or is the final practice also qualifying?

FYI, most indycar races are on street/road courses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Custard Undies posted:

Very hot take from me.

Most ovals lost their appeal when they stopped the cars being able to pack race.

For very good reasons, but I still miss watching it.

That race from a few years ago, where they somehow stuffed up the aero or something and the race turned into a pack race was crazy suspenseful. All the teams/drivers were pissed but it certainly made for one hell of a spectacle.

nah, pack racing is bad because the race doesnt actually evolve at all. Lap 1 is no different than lap 200, its just there for crashes. Oval racing stopped being exciting when development stopped.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

your friend wicka posted:

I hope it ends up on a network that will just show racing and not segues with drivers wandering abandoned industrial parks or Rutledge investigating yachts.

personally im hoping for more arthouse milkgimp

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
rain race here we go

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Reynold posted:

It's a surface put down by NASCAR for extra grip, but it doesn't play well with the rubber of Indycar tires. They pretty much ruined the track for Indycar by doing this. I was optimistic early on, but Texas isn't the same now. Sucks.

Its actually not on the track, they've literally removed it and whats left is some odd chemical stain

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/ZBrownCEO/status/1388997482290597894

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Putting Dixon for the win, Ed will crash.

this is my prediction and nothing more

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
on that topic

https://racer.com/2020/12/10/dinner-with-racers-brickyard-empire-highlights-modern-parallels-to-indys-overlooked-past/

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
outstanding race, indycar is the best US racing now by far

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I think once the magnesium lights up like that its kinda done

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
micheal should do srx instead of marco

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 18, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
turns out racing a sprint car on dirt is not actually good prep for indycar

oh poo poo someone tell tony george

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
He should do an oval

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I like that there are 25 cars, so he can stay :)

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Reynold posted:

Bringing the car count up at the cost of the backmarkers being completely uncompetitive is how you get NASCAR. If an entry doesn't have the racing ability or the resources to run competitively, they don't really belong in the series imo. Try stepping down the ladder to Indy Lights or something instead. The best other drivers can say about JJ is that he gets the gently caress out of the way when being lapped (though he looked to hold a few people up today), and that's just sad. Dalton Kellet is another example, the dude clearly doesn't have the ability required to achieve results at the top level, but here he is, several laps down every raceday in a Foyt entry. Hell, Max Chilton got a top 10 today and regularly runs in the top 15 for Carlin, and while he isn't widely considered to be very good, he makes Kellet look like a chump.

During the "good old days" of the pre-split 1990s, half the field would be plucking around in 5 year old chassis hoping for 28th, so I don't think that's what made NASCAR bad.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

IOwnCalculus posted:

Part of me misses the variety in the cars themselves, but the racing is so much better that I don't really care.

What's amazing about Penske still being winless is that unlike 1999, they've been competitive. The last three races alone got thrown away at the very end by failures / strategy.

Well without development there is really no reason to run ovals imo. They should at least reduce the power by another 200 hp. It's a fine series then, like F2 or Super Formula

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Knock off the wings then, there is no reason to be going 230 if everyone having the same car is the goal.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Proud Christian Mom posted:

anyone else remember the Richmond race in the IR-05 where first and second ran side by side for like a dozen laps because there was literally no development left and they were just running flat out lap after lap

is this a good race or a bad race?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
it's really wild that twice as many people tune in for the F1 race on cable at 8 in the morning than the Indycar race on network at noon

maybe it is something to do with the exceptionally awful coverage it has

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Indycar coverage is literally the biggest problem it has now, but no one will address it as it needs NBC to exist.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
this is gonna be chaos lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqXc__Tu_DE

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

harperdc posted:

gently caress. Let’s hope Robin can get strong enough to at least get to one more race in-person.

sadly, for people who need chemo or have immune issues, in-person things will probably not be a thing again.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Trans am also has like 40 cars showing up, if I understood the entry list.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

marshalljim posted:

:eek: Looks like just one GT2, at least (pdf). Can't imagine you could add many more without the whole race being red flags.

Wait so are these all racing together for overall, or is the GT2 racing against itself?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The GT2 will be racing itself. It'll be on track with everyone else, but in a race of 1 in class

ah, my favorite aspect of American sports car racing. Got to see the two corvettes race each other a few weeks ago.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Herta though, the race is gonna be a legendary one I feel

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Basticle posted:

I'm being pedantic but how are they a factory team if they arent making the chasis or the engine?

2023 car just dropped

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
best race in history

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Genocide Tendency posted:

I want to know what the thought process was to put Johnson, a 7 time champ on a mostly oval series, in road and street courses only.

Also, whoever designed this course is either a loving genius or an idiot.

his wife didnt want him to die

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
It's not the track, it's will loving power

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
he wrecked two teammates

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
NOOOO

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
jesus what a race

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
top 8 are hondas, so chevy is hosed unless SPAM or penske get some 1-2s

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
cool that we have a race for the next 2 weeks

the ims race will be perfectly smooth and make people wish for the chaos, also grosjean will probably win

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Peanut President posted:

maybe just race the fuckin fairgrounds next time
you buyin' tickets?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Ed's cars get an extra 50 hp at Indianapolis

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1425196368226885633?s=20

indy's back baby!

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Magugu posted:

And what a glorious cluster gently caress they witnessed. The race really had it all, painful to watch in real time but will go down as one of the most interesting ever.

Hopefully the IMS race will be the exact opposite, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPIPY1sGXYs