Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Welp, you've gotten me to buy the game.

I can appreciate that, in Loop 1, true to type, Raqio got fridged first. Poor Raqio...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Quackles posted:

Welp, you've gotten me to buy the game.

I can appreciate that, in Loop 1, true to type, Raqio got fridged first. Poor Raqio...

I think the first loop is scripted to always do that.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

logger posted:

I think the first loop is scripted to always do that.

Oh, I know, but it's also very true to type.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
'Say you're human' is a good move for day 1, even if you can't catch anyone in a lie yourself the high-Intuition characters can pick up the slack for you. If everyone suddenly starts dogpiling one of the other characters for a couple of rounds in a row after that, chances are good that they caught them in a lie. I believe it does work on Bugs, but not AC Followers.

On a related note I've learned not to discount Comet's colossal Intuition. When you have very little actual evidence to go on, her hunches are as good an option as anything else.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

quote:

Oh Jonas.

Is it possible to play a loop with no engineers or doctors? How about loops with no external ways to confirm? Which also means no guard duties to confirm crew. Crew's got to sus out the Gnosia for themselves. And Gnosia side can't use claims for extra discord. Possibly add in a Bug for extra difficulty since they can't randomly get ganked by the engie. Would like to see how Gnosias react to failed ganks with no engie and guardian angel if it's possible to do such a loop.

And a "try to win your way out of this one." You play as guard duty. Maximum amount of Gnosia. No Guardian Angel. Good luck.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 31, 2021

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Mega64 posted:

Anyway, this unlocks the Small Talk skill, which takes a lot of heat off you when you use it. It's apparently pretty powerful, and it's also fun to use. There's three topics available (Food, Love, and Scary Stories) with each character having a line for them. Some characters will pretty much never get involved in Small Talk (particularly Yuriko), but it's a fun way to learn about people and also get the focus off yourself.

Mega64 posted:

Sha-Ming's not the only NPC that can initiate Small Talk, and it can also be shut down by some NPCs, Kukrushka in particular.

I've seen Yuriko join in on Small Talk exactly once in 130 loops of playtime (it was for the scary stories topic, but I unfortunately didn't think to grab a screenshot), so it is technically possible! And the characters that can shut it down can also occasionally choose to join in instead; Kukrushka seems to like the food topic in particular, for instance.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I take back what I said earlier - maybe it's just me, but I swear Raqio gets fridged less often on my playthroughs so far. I just finished Day 8 (Me + Raqio as Gnosia) and won handily, despite Comet being the real Engineer.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Can confirm, "Say you're human" works well to sus out bugs but not AC followers. It makes sense if you think about it.

I had several instances of Tetsu offing Sha-Ming and Yuriko talking about scary stuff and confirming her humanity (it is rare though) but I don't think she ever joined in on the other topics.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Foxfire_ posted:

What happens in a 1 Gnosia game when Sha-Ming is the only Gnosia?

Probably just the event can't trigger in those circumstances? There seem to be a lot of very specific event triggers, like obviously the one that required both Jonas and Shigemichi to declare the same role while one of them was Gnosia. Like, obviously that wouldn't trigger if neither of them were Gnosia, if neither of them were the real Engineer, if either of them weren't in that loop, etc. I believe it was mentioned that there is a setting you can use to auto-generate set-ups that will allow you to trigger new events.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I've seen Yuriko chime in on love and it's just slightly spoilerific, but sans that she claims to be forever alone and also to know more about pleasure than the scrub crew could ever dream of.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Can you see some of these events again or are they all one time affairs?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Omobono posted:

Speaking of: I did a dumb :effort: thing

Sweet! Added the updated version to the OP with credit to everyone.

Junpei posted:

Do characters like Sha-Ming or Remnan tend to not fake claim as Gnosia, considering their deals are staying under the radar and being a Doc/Eng claim means they are going to be paid attention to?

Raqio as Gnosia obviously hits the Fake Claim Eng/Doc button hard, but do other characters have general tendencies as for Fake Claiming?

Honestly not sure. That will be something I start keeping an eye out for in the future!

Araxxor posted:

Is it possible to play a loop with no engineers or doctors? How about loops with no external ways to confirm? Which also means no guard duties to confirm crew. Crew's got to sus out the Gnosia for themselves. And Gnosia side can't use claims for extra discord. Possibly add in a Bug for extra difficulty since they can't randomly get ganked by the engie. Would like to see how Gnosias react to failed ganks with no engie and guardian angel if it's possible to do such a loop.

And a "try to win your way out of this one." You play as guard duty. Maximum amount of Gnosia. No Guardian Angel. Good luck.

The first one sounds fun. Bug may be too much, but then again not if Cassidy is the Bug... Next time I feel compelled to do Bug, I may do this one as Bug and have fun watching the chaos (or do it as Gnosia to see if I can find a way to get the bug eliminated upon finding it). Otherwise, maybe I'll do this and leave Bug out.

As for the second option, that'd be better saved for later once Cassidy has sky-high stats and can actually pull it off. Right now, they'd need a miracle to get out of that one.

Rockstar Massacre posted:

I've seen Yuriko chime in on love and it's just slightly spoilerific, but sans that she claims to be forever alone and also to know more about pleasure than the scrub crew could ever dream of.

I've also seen that. It's a bit TMI, but a fun Yuriko moment nonetheless. Never seen the scary story one, though.

FoolyCharged posted:

Can you see some of these events again or are they all one time affairs?

They're all one-timers. There are some events that build on others that will repeat (usually in truncated forms) if you don't properly fulfill the requirements in that loop, but otherwise once you see it, it's done.

You also can't view all events in one playthrough. There's one point where you have to choose between two options, and you miss out on the other one. Likewise, there's some minor events/endings that may pop up depending on your gender (as I mentioned before, Gina and Stella are attracted to male PCs, while Sha-Ming and Remnan are attracted to female PCs, though the events aren't major).

Otherwise, there's a CG gallery where you can view the various unique pictures of events you've seen through the game. It's hidden, though.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Mega64 posted:

Sweet! Added the updated version to the OP with credit to everyone.
Honestly not sure. That will be something I start keeping an eye out for in the future!
The first one sounds fun. Bug may be too much, but then again not if Cassidy is the Bug... Next time I feel compelled to do Bug, I may do this one as Bug and have fun watching the chaos (or do it as Gnosia to see if I can find a way to get the bug eliminated upon finding it). Otherwise, maybe I'll do this and leave Bug out.

Bugs can be eliminated via cold sleep otherwise a bug run without an engineer would be won by default.

Also I got Sha-Ming's "romantic" ending as NB, Although maybe it's different as female, I plan to replay the game when it's on steam :allears:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Wonder how many days after the steam release it will get modded with Among Us sprites as the portraits

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Twibbit posted:

Wonder how many days after the steam release it will get modded with Among Us sprites as the portraits

5 minutes after release.
Or a day before if there's a leak.

Zero K
Feb 22, 2010
could be fun if the reverse happened and Among Us got a Gnosia mod as well

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Well, Raqio would definitely be Red. Despite being... teal?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Yami Fenrir posted:

Well, Raqio would definitely be Red. Despite being... teal?

Raqio's head dress would be wonderful as an Among Us item.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Donkringel posted:

Raqio's head dress would be wonderful as an Among Us item.

Tried a little something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I love it.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Araxxor posted:

Oh my god :allears:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Araxxor posted:

Love the hell out of this. :allears:

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Junpei posted:

Do characters like Sha-Ming or Remnan tend to not fake claim as Gnosia, considering their deals are staying under the radar and being a Doc/Eng claim means they are going to be paid attention to?

Raqio as Gnosia obviously hits the Fake Claim Eng/Doc button hard, but do other characters have general tendencies as for Fake Claiming?

IME Shigemichi, Comet, Gina and Jonas tend to fake claim a lot—though maybe I just have a stronger impression of the former two because they're very noticeable.

I don't think I've ever seen Sha-Ming or Remnan fake a claim as Gnosia or Bug, come to think of it. I have the impression that Kukrushka and Yuriko also claim less if they're Gnosia.

Araxxor posted:

:perfect:

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Araxxor posted:

Red sus

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Araxxor posted:

Beautiful. Added to OP.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

To follow up from the big win with Raqio, my next loop (9) was an absolute gong show. It was introducing the AC Follower. Stella, SQ, and Shigemichi claimed Engineer - and I detected a lie when Stella claimed. Then Comet started tunneling on Stella, too.

Open and shut case, right?

Well, no.

• Stella was lying...
• because she was the AC Follower.
• The Gnosia killed me on night 2...
• because I had clearly detected the same lie that they had.
• The Gnosia knew she was lying...
because Comet was the other Gnosia. :doh: (Along with SQ, in case you're curious.)

So yeah. You win some, you lose some XD

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

It's interesting to see someone focusing on performance/stealth for stats! I always put the majority into intuition and then logic, and then slowly patch up the remainder as time goes on - usually I keep intuition 5pts ahead of logic and 10pts ahead of everything else. I like being able to catch lies and call out Definite Human/Enemy.

But then again, playing as Gnosia is my least-favorite role, so that's probably why my build is more "Gnosia hunter" and less "good Gnosia". Playing Guard Duty and trying to use pure logic/lie-spotting to sus out the Gnosia is my jam.

Mega64 posted:

Also, fun fact, whoever wins depends on who is the actual Gnosia. In my first playthrough, Shigemichi was the winner and of course also revealed himself as Gnosia to the same results.

I legit didn't know this scene could go either way, since both times I've seen it (original playthrough + playthrough I started because the LP made me miss playing) it was Jonas as Gnosia. I assumed it was just hard-coded to him because it felt like such a Jonas thing to do...

Omobono posted:

Meh, gently caress it, Yuriko works for this dumb :effort: thing

Speaking of: I did a dumb :effort: thing

(Couldn't really fix the dialogue gushing at Edge though)

This is amazing.

Bloody Emissary posted:

IME Shigemichi, Comet, Gina and Jonas tend to fake claim a lot—though maybe I just have a stronger impression of the former two because they're very noticeable.

I don't think I've ever seen Sha-Ming or Remnan fake a claim as Gnosia or Bug, come to think of it. I have the impression that Kukrushka and Yuriko also claim less if they're Gnosia.
:perfect:

I can't remember if I've seen Sha-Ming fake-claim, but Remnan did on my last Gnosia run. He wound up being tagged as Definite Enemy for reasons I still don't fully understand (especially since the other Eng claim was Raqio, who was AC based on their calls, highly suspected by others, and was tagged Definite Enemy the following round), and our ally Sha-Ming was a jerk who bussed him when his vote for Raqio would've won us the game at that point, but all that's besides the point.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Finally got all caught up on this LP! I hope anything else left in this game can be half as funny as the scumslip scene.

I'll definitely get this game sometime once it's on Steam and on sale. As another SA Mafia player, this looks really fun and the endless loops where you have a meta-narrative while learning people's metas is a great concept.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

differentiating posted:

But then again, playing as Gnosia is my least-favorite role, so that's probably why my build is more "Gnosia hunter" and less "good Gnosia". Playing Guard Duty and trying to use pure logic/lie-spotting to sus out the Gnosia is my jam.
I legit didn't know this scene could go either way, since both times I've seen it (original playthrough + playthrough I started because the LP made me miss playing) it was Jonas as Gnosia. I assumed it was just hard-coded to him because it felt like such a Jonas thing to do...
Meanwhile I got it with Shigemichi and I figured that's how it always turned out because the end beat is extremely Shigemichi. (and Shige suggests the game in the first place, which made it extra funny to me)

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Thanks for this LP, chalk me up as another person who bought the game because of it. Was neat getting different endings to the early loops.

Game's a blast, the characters are super fun and the AI is great--except when it isn't.

Case in point: Five people left, AC follower Remnan. Sha-Ming and I get outed as Definite Gnosia. Who cares, the ship is ours, right?! But Remnan votes for me. :argh:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hey Mega64,

I'm planning to run a game of forum mafia on these here forums to introduce more folks to Gnosia. Would you be ok with me linking this LP in my thread?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Absolutely! If you’re planning to use any spoilery stuff, put up a spoiler warning, but otherwise I think it’d be a fantastic idea. Don’t know if I’d participate myself due to time constraints, but I’d definitely follow along at least!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Mega64 posted:

Absolutely! If you’re planning to use any spoilery stuff, put up a spoiler warning, but otherwise I think it’d be a fantastic idea. Don’t know if I’d participate myself due to time constraints, but I’d definitely follow along at least!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969666

Here it is, for those interested in playing!

I went with avoiding story spoilers but mechanical spoilers are unfortunately unavoidable.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 3, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I kind of wish there was a way to tell people who are claiming Engineer "Hey, scan this specific person!".

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Junpei posted:

I kind of wish there was a way to tell people who are claiming Engineer "Hey, scan this specific person!".

That actually reminds me of when me and another kid played Kemps in school.

For those who don't know, Kemps is a card game where you sit across from your partner and pass cards around until someone gets four of a kind. Then you have to signal to your partner secretly somehow.

If they say 'Kemps' and you have 4 of a kind, you two get a point. If another team picks up on your signal, says 'Stop Kemps', and you have 4 of a kind, the other team gets a point.

I had all the observation skills of a brick and wasn't picking up on the other kid's secret signals to indicate that he had Kemps. Finally, he lost patience and said, "Quackles, say Kemps." And I said, "Kemps."

It only worked once, but it only needed to.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 4, 2021

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
If anyone's like me and is getting bored late-game and just wants help grinding xp for later skills this seems to be the best way that I found on other forums:
Restat (Pick Bug and visit Yuriko) so Logic and Perf are 1, Stealth is 10 (for Small Talk), Intuition is 20 (for Say you're Human), and Charisma/Charm are high. If you're getting put in cold sleep too much because your high stats aren't high enough take the points from Intuition.
Then set starting conditions to 5 players: 1 Gnosia, 1 Engineer, 1 Doctor, 1 GA, and 1 AC follower/you.

Day 1 start with Say you're Human (if you didn't need to get rid of it). Finding out who the Gnosia is helps a lot but isn't required. After that claim Engineer and ask Doctor to step forward. If you get 2 Doctors the first claim is probably the Gnosia. Make Small talk for some extra protection then Doubt the other Engineer. You need to be in control of the conversation the entire time so no one goes after the Gnosia. For the vote go for the non-Gnosia Crew/Doctor if you know which one, otherwise the Engineer and hope the Gnosia survives.
Night 1 claim the Gnosia is human or the Engineer is gnosia.
Day 2 You'll know the Gnosia by now, stay on their side and they'll vote for the other person even if they're against you in the debate.

When you win you'll get enough XP to go up 2-3 levels (It looks like the amount you earn scales along with the XP required to level up). Even if you lose the loops only take a few minutes to do.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 5, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

whitehelm posted:

Restat (Pick Bug and visit Yuriko)

I haven't shown that off yet, though I will once I finally get the next update up. Please spoiler tag that part, thanks!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I haven't shown that off yet, though I will once I finally get the next update up. Please spoiler tag that part, thanks!

Sorry, I thought you already mentioned it...maybe you did but not how to do it?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

whitehelm posted:

Sorry, I thought you already mentioned it...maybe you did but not how to do it?
It's heavily hinted at in the How to Play but it hasn't been done yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I’ve mentioned that you can respec your stats a few times, just not how.

But it’s all cool, and I’ll show it off in the next update.