Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
So what’s a Gnosia anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

goblin week posted:

Gnosia balls.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

goblin week posted:

Good question!

Fat Samurai posted:

The first few loops are scripted when introducing roles. Very quickly you get to choose number of people and roles (or hit random a few times) and characters behave according to their personalities and capabilities.

Pretty much this. The first few loops are tutorials, which will slowly introduce us to new roles and characters, but eventually things will be randomized, and even later we'll be able to set specific parameters.

Until then, just enjoy the ride!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I do find it funny how the backlog is tied to a stat.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

quote:

I can't believe they managed to create a conversation-following feature that's so true-to-life!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Leraika posted:

I'm pretty sure Gnosia actually predates mungus; it first came out on the Vita.

Wikipedia:
> Gnosia is a 2019 visual novel video game developed by Petit Depotto and published by Playism for the PlayStation Vita. It was later ported to the Nintendo Switch in 2021. Gnosia's development first began in 2015 by four-person indie studio Petit Depotto in 2015. It was originally planned for the PlayStation Mobile.[1][2] The game was first announced in 2017 for the PlayStation Vita.[3]

> Among Us[c] is an online multiplayer social deduction game developed and published by American game studio Innersloth. It was released on iOS and Android devices in June 2018 and on Windows in November 2018, featuring cross-platform play between these platforms. [...] Development began in 2017.

So while development of Gnosia stared long before Among Us, it was released after it.

Also, yes. A new Vita game released in 2019. Some of the reviews linked from the Wiki page make fun of that - nevertheless the port to the Switch seems to have been quite succesful.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wikipedia:
> Gnosia is a 2019 visual novel video game developed by Petit Depotto and published by Playism for the PlayStation Vita. It was later ported to the Nintendo Switch in 2021. Gnosia's development first began in 2015 by four-person indie studio Petit Depotto in 2015. It was originally planned for the PlayStation Mobile.[1][2] The game was first announced in 2017 for the PlayStation Vita.[3]

> Among Us[c] is an online multiplayer social deduction game developed and published by American game studio Innersloth. It was released on iOS and Android devices in June 2018 and on Windows in November 2018, featuring cross-platform play between these platforms. [...] Development began in 2017.

So while development of Gnosia stared long before Among Us, it was released after it.

Also, yes. A new Vita game released in 2019. Some of the reviews linked from the Wiki page make fun of that - nevertheless the port to the Switch seems to have been quite succesful.

huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Yeah, when I think 'new vita game' I sure as gently caress wasn't thinking 'tyool 2019'.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
2019, what the hell!? At least it got a second chance on the Switch?

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
When you look at the UI as it evolves, you can very much tell it was designed for the Vita in its general layout and style. It's incredibly well done. The Switch Lite (and to a slightly lesser extent Switch in handheld mode) feels like the most natural successor to how it was originally meant to be played, but on a system with waaaay more distribution.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Leraika posted:

huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Yeah, when I think 'new vita game' I sure as gently caress wasn't thinking 'tyool 2019'.

As one of the three Vita havers in the world, yeah that's half the reason this went under my radar.
The other half is that I don't speak Japanese :japan:

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
This game is fantastic and one of my favorite Switch buys.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

We did well in our first attempt, so let's keep that winning streak going!

Oh yeah we're in a time loop apparently. This is Anime Werewolf Groundhog Day, sort of.

Music: Suspicion

This time we're starting out in Main Control. This is where most of our loops will dump us.

We've got the same five people as before, and as before there is just one Gnosia. Therefore, it makes sense to assume that SQ is Gnosia again and we can just ditch her and move on...

...but this would be a pretty boring game if things were that simple! We know we're not Gnosia, but any of the other four, including SQ, could be Gnosia.

Apparently not... In that case, any of us, including me, could be infected.
What about everyone except for me being Gnosia? Is that a possibility?

You asked what we should do now.
Well... There are general procedures for instances of Gnosia infection. I think we should follow them. As you know, Gnosia infectees eliminate a single human each time we warp. So... Before we warp, we suss out one suspect... The person most likely infected will be put into cold sleep.

You ask what happens if we are unable to put the Gnosia into cold sleep.

Well, what if the one to suggest this "better way" was Gnosia? We'd end up falling right into the enemy's trap.

You asked what Setsu means by "compromise".
Once Gnosia infection has been detected onboard... LeVi is no longer obligated to ensure the survival of the crew. Conversely...

Hm... So whether we live or die is left up to an AI? Well this is certainly cause for concern.

You stated that you understand the situation.

So like, we just need to vote for whoever's like, sketchiest, then?
Well, since we don't have a better plan, this will have to do for now.

So...it looks like there are no objections. LeVi, can you approve the procedure I just described?

OK then, let's get started. We have to find our enemy... the Gnosia.

Do you have all that? This is basically the justification of why we have to play Werewolf to eliminate the Gnosia. Or at least, this is according to Setsu.

Though if Setsu was Gnosia, of course they wouldn't want to bring up better methods of exposing the Gnosia...

Anyway, things are about to start as usual, but first let's go ahead and get this one little question out of the way. It'd make sense to know what the hell our enemy is before we fight it.

You asked what Gnosia is.

The alien lifeform, Gnos...
Apparently nothing much is known about this Gnos. Some say it's an unknown intelligent lifeform, others say it's a god from another dimension... It's all speculation.

Oh, Raqio.

Anyway, there's little known about Gnos and the lifeforms it affects and turns into Gnosia. All we know is that Gnosia are the enemies of humankind, and thus we must stop them.

I don't have a single reason to trust Cassidy, personally.

Round 2 is Gina putting our trust in us. We don't have to say thanks, but it's the polite thing to do.

And of course Setsu also joins in on trusting us.

As fun as it would be to have people keep telling us how awesome we are, it's time to go on the offensive. Raqio is acting very aggressive towards us, which could very well be a Gnosia tactic to take the heat off themself. Let's get this taken care of.

Riiight?! Raqio is sooo suspicious.

So we've started to add some doubt onto Raqio. Only one round left, and no need to keep laying it on and make people suspicious of us, so...

So, I guess I'm in the way, huh?
Setsu isn't the one we should be suspecting right now. I mean, come on... really?

The last part is Gina casting suspicion on Setsu, though Raqio isn't buying it.

Of course, there's no real info to take advantage of in this first night, at least for now, so we're all just kinda going with our guts.

And we have our first tie! Which means a revote!

In case of a tie, we get an extra two rounds of debate. We can only vote between the people who tied, in this case SQ and Raqio. With larger groups of ties, the suspected can still vote, but here it's pointless since SQ and Raqio will just vote for each other (and no, you can't vote for yourself).

Raqio... Yes, Raqio. Something certainly feels strange.
You stated that you too had been doubting Raqio.
Huh... Are you really doubting me?
I've got Raqio's back. If you're gonna go after Raqio, then I'm gonna push back.

So far, seems like Raqio and Setsu are allies for now. SQ and we are against Raqio, leaving Gina as the swing vote...

Oh, so like, it's all on me now...?
Personally... I want to trust SQ over Raqio.
You stated that you too trust SQ.

That said, it's looking like Gina's gonna join our side.

Music: Voting

And unsurprisingly, it's Raqio that's going to the fridge.

Again.

You can say goodbye to people voted into cold sleep. It doesn't seem to do anything, but again, if you're feeling nice, or want to pretend you're being sarcastic, it's an option.

At any rate, Raqio's taken care of.

At this point, LeVi's going to give us a nice guided tour of the ship. Might as well learn more about this ship we'll be hanging out in for awhile!

Music: Enjoying My Routine

Here you can enjoy different types of indoor recreation. If you have any requests, I can generate equipment immediately.

I feel like all of us here are pretty big fans of games, so let's go with those!

You replied that you like video games.
Ah, in that case... How about this game?

Pressing the buttons will cause dopamine to be released inside your brain.
Depending on how you press the buttons, you can experience many different types of pleasure. Experts have called this the greatest game ever to...

Alright, shall we move to a different room?

Here in the cafeteria, the crew can take meals as they please.

I envision Cassidy as being a Ramen fan myself.

You replied that you like ramen.

Unfortunately, there is no time to eat right now. If you like, I can show you around the lower floor.

LeVi seems friendly enough for an AI.

The lower floor contains environmental maintenance facilities and interstellar travel equipment. It's known as the heart of this ship, the D.Q.O.

One of the other crew mates happens to be here, it seems...

Music: Remind Me

You know, we've learned a good bit about Setsu, SQ, and even Raqio, but Gina's been mostly in the background. Now's a good time to learn a bit more about her.

You joked that you're the Gnosia.

For instance, we've learned that she's not a big fan of dumb jokes.

Raqio has gone to sleep... I made sure of it.

If our plan for cold sleep were to fail, if the Gnosia were to take over this ship... What would they do?

Some infectees show tendencies for extreme violence. Others use humans to satisfy their animalistic instincts. There are many cases that even I, as an AI, wish that I could erase from the records in my memory...

So yeah, we probably don't want the Gnosia to get away with taking over the ship. Maybe it's best to reassure Gina.

You stated that it will be OK.
I hope...

Cassidy, Gina. It is almost time to warp. Please return to your respective rooms.

This Gnosia... I think I may know who it is...

What makes her so sure?

At any rate, I guess we'll find out. And at least this time we know for sure that SQ didn't repeat as a Gnosia!

This also means that Raqio wasn't Gnosia either, since the loop hasn't ended yet. Therefore, it must be Gina or Setsu...

Please listen to what I have to say.

Well, Gina seems convinced she knows who the Gnosia is. Which, to be fair, is probably going to be Setsu if she trusts us enough to fill us in on her plan, but let's hear her out anyway.

So last night, before we warped... I configured the equipment to examine Setsu's dimensional waves. These can be analyzed during the warp.

And now we learn about this game's first role, the Engineer. There's only one, and they can choose a person each night before warp to determine if they're human or Gnosia.

LeVi... Can you confirm that I am the Engineer?

But you can't confirm that it was me?
That's correct... It is possible the crew members' personal data has been corrupted, so I am not able to confirm whether said Engineer credentials are yours or not.
OK, I see... Well then... Cassidy.

So even though Gina has claimed to be the Engineer, she may not actually be the Engineer. Thus...we've gained no new useful knowledge whatsoever. Either Gina is right and Setsu is the Gnosia, or Gina is lying and thus she is Gnosia. So, the exact same situation as before, and we're pretty much stuck on which we trust more.

While this report is useless for this loop, the Engineer Report is incredibly useful for keeping track of who pointed out what in larger loops. It's one of your handiest tools in sussing out Gnosia.

The top-left part shows that Gina reported that Setsu was Gnosia. It doesn't mean that Setsu actually is Gnosia, just that they were reported as one.

Anyway, it's time to make our decision. Gina or Setsu? Both are suspicious. Setsu was a lot more aggressive in helping us out during the first loop, while here not so much. They also allied with Raqio, who was pretty aggressive against us, and only covered us after Gina did. Meanwhile, Gina has been against Setsu from the start, even before she made her report, but was it all a ploy to fool us into joining her side? Is Gina capable of such deceit...?

There's no good answer, but I do think Gina may actually be honest here. Setsu may have saved us before, but that doesn't mean Setsu may not be Gnosia again, and that they may have their own agenda going on...

We're given the option to skip to the vote, but I don't see the point here. There's a very small chance we could learn more information from these last two rounds. Unlikely, but you never know...

Apparently I seem suspicious.
You refuted the doubts against Gina.

That said...

Setsu is lying. I can tell.

We don't learn anything new of substance.

Well, all we can do is go with our gut. Goodbye, Setsu.

That's the end of the loop. Either Setsu was Gnosia and the humans win, or Setsu was human and the Gnosia equals humans left.

Music: The Silver Key

You believed me when I said I was the Engineer.

You replied that you're grateful as well.

Alright, I'll be going back to my room.

Well, looks like we did it. Setsu was Gnosia, and humans win again. We're getting pretty good at this!

Oh dammit. I hosed up!

There are times where a character says something, and then something triggers to show the character is lying. Higher Intuition triggers the probability of this happening more often, but even then it's a weird stat where you kinda have to go all-or-nothing on it. Also, other characters have their own stats, but we won't get to see those for awhile.

Anyway, it turns out SQ was the Engineer and Gina played me like a fiddle. Well done, Gina! Never forget that Gnosia can also claim to be the Engineer.

Oh well, maybe next loop things will work out better! Until then!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 26, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:allears:

We're off to an awesome start.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hahaha, a fake cop claim on your second loop. Extremely good stuff! Is that entirely scripted?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Holy poo poo I had to go and reread that when I got to the end. :psypop:

And I take it what the game is trying to do here is lull you into trusting Setsu? That's two loops in a row where Setsu was not Gnosia. I'm betting next loop Setsu is totally going to be Gnosia to prey on that expectation!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Silver Falcon posted:

Holy poo poo I had to go and reread that when I got to the end. :psypop:

And I take it what the game is trying to do here is lull you into trusting Setsu? That's two loops in a row where Setsu was not Gnosia. I'm betting next loop Setsu is totally going to be Gnosia to prey on that expectation!

Plot twist: Next round introduces both multi-Gnosia rounds and you as a Gnosia, with Setsu as your partner.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Report SQ, she did not claim Engineer D1 and threw the game.

Jokes aside, yeah, these beggining loops are mostly for getting used to the characters and slowly rolling out the mechanics so they're pretty scripted, although they can vary in result! (Such as siding with SQ on loop 1).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Always hardclaim Engineer D1, no matter your role.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

BisbyWorl posted:

Plot twist: Next round introduces both multi-Gnosia rounds and you as a Gnosia, with Setsu as your partner.

Holy poo poo that would be amazing! I can't wait to see how gameplay changes if you are the Gnosia.

Ugh I'm going to end up buying this game, aren't I? I have too many games as it is! Stop!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fat Samurai posted:

Always hardclaim Engineer D1, no matter your role.

I remember my first game of Mafia (though I was on a forum where we called it Global Thermonuclear War, mafia were 'terrorists', etc.).

The thing is, I didn't really know how to play Mafia. So I decided to stir as much poo poo up as possible.

I PMd multiple other players to say 'X is suspicious' or 'I know something about Y', with a different X/Y each time. I didn't claim to be the intelligence agent (cop/Engineer) each time, I was just causing trouble. :honk:

Eventually, everything came out about the PMs and I was left trying to cover myself with wildly inconsistent excuses.

At the end of the first round, I got blown up, but the rest of the people did find one of the terrorists right away thanks to it, so it worked out? 😅

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.

Podima posted:

Hahaha, a fake cop claim on your second loop. Extremely good stuff! Is that entirely scripted?

From what I've observed, it's partially scripted: Gina either is Gnosis or the actual Engineer, and will survive until Day 2 so she can make the Engineer claim. I suspect (but can't prove) that it's not actually possible for the real engineer to survive to Day 2 if they're not Gina.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Levi posted:

Some infectees show tendencies for extreme violence. Others use humans to satisfy their animalistic instincts. There are many cases that even I, as an AI, wish that I could erase from the records in my memory...

So the gnosia are Xenia Onatopp?

WhalerWren
Oct 9, 2012

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

From what I've observed, it's partially scripted: Gina either is Gnosis or the actual Engineer, and will survive until Day 2 so she can make the Engineer claim. I suspect (but can't prove) that it's not actually possible for the real engineer to survive to Day 2 if they're not Gina.

Seconding this. After my own run, I'm absolutely thrown seeing Gina not actually be the Engineer.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

1. Does one of the next intro loops tell us what cold sleep is in this universe? The characters treat it like a death sentence but it seems like outside being literally fridged, as long as the human crew wins you could just take any humans out of it at a specialized facility or whatever. Not that this really makes life a lot nicer for them because now they're stuck either hanging out with people who they know for a fact won't have their back in a life-or-death struggle or finding a new crew to be a part of, but it beats the pants off just plain dying.

2. Will we figure out why we're looping? It's going to be a while, I'm sure, but the fact that the main character isn't even acknowledging this is happening is a little odd and slightly disappointing.

I love the cop claim being randomized as either fake or real on the second loop. Something that makes me wonder a bit is that in both loops, after the vote only the Gnosia members approached us for a pre-warp chat - is THAT randomized or is that a tell?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I forget whether Gina was Gnosia or not in my first playthrough. Hell, I wasn't even aware she could be a human or Gnosia engineer in this loop until reading it in this thread!

And I'll admit I legit believed Gina over Setsu, so even with a full playthrough under my belt the game still managed to fool me.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

1. Does one of the next intro loops tell us what cold sleep is in this universe? The characters treat it like a death sentence but it seems like outside being literally fridged, as long as the human crew wins you could just take any humans out of it at a specialized facility or whatever. Not that this really makes life a lot nicer for them because now they're stuck either hanging out with people who they know for a fact won't have their back in a life-or-death struggle or finding a new crew to be a part of, but it beats the pants off just plain dying.

2. Will we figure out why we're looping? It's going to be a while, I'm sure, but the fact that the main character isn't even acknowledging this is happening is a little odd and slightly disappointing.

I love the cop claim being randomized as either fake or real on the second loop. Something that makes me wonder a bit is that in both loops, after the vote only the Gnosia members approached us for a pre-warp chat - is THAT randomized or is that a tell?

I'm pretty sure cold sleep is elaborated at some point, but I'm not sure where or when. #2 will be explained at some point, but right now the game's priority is to teach us to play and slowly drip feed gameplay elements.

As for Gnosia tells, the first loop is always SQ as Gnosia, and I'm pretty sure in the second loop you'll always visit Gina regardless of which side she's on. Beyond that it gets complicated, and it'll be something I'll go into more in later loops.

Basically, the answer to all your questions is "Wait and see."

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I think it's only really Raqio (and SQ in the first loop I guess, but in that case it's basically just admitting that she's Gnosia) and I always took it as meaning "you have no chance to survive without me, everyone on this ship is already dead" because they're like that.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

As an aside, can I say that I really like the character and outfit designs? Everybody in the future is so extra and I'm here for it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah they're great, especially Raqio.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'd be inclined to vote Raqio no matter what every loop because goddamn, that outfit is hard to look at.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'd be inclined to vote Raqio no matter what every loop because goddamn, that outfit is hard to look at.

The make makes a great job of keeping ludo-narrative... consonance(?). Whatever it's called. Raqio goes into the fish tank (or gets murdered) quite often.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Well, time to tackle Loop 3. Hopefully things go better for us this round.

Well, so far things seem as usual. Nothing really different he--

...uh.

Oh yeah, this time we have two new characters playing with us for...reasons. Meet Shigemichi and Stella.

You stated that he clearly looks like an alien.

Wait whaaaat? So you're like, NOT an alien...? That's actually like, weirdly unfortunate.
Yes... Shigemichi is indeed... unfortunate.

I feel this conversation does a better job explaining Shigemichi than I ever could.

Yes... Our time is limited. Please tell me whom you all think should be put into cold sleep.

2/7 of us are Gnosia, but we also have the Engineer on our side, so hopefully things will go better this time.

At this point, I'm going to start summarizing a bit more since we're getting to the point where it's nothing but generic lines.

Round 1 - Setsu and SQ doubt Raqio. Shigemichi and Gina defend them.

Round 2 - Stella and Raqio doubt Setsu. SQ and Cassidy defend. My feeling is to lay low to start, but I think Setsu isn't a threat quite yet.

Round 3 - Gina declares she trusts Raqio. Setsu and SQ disagree. Cassidy declines on this route, but right now I'm on Setsu and SQ's side.

Round 4 - Shigemichi strikes and doubts Setsu with support from Raqio and Stella, with defense from SQ. The numbers aren't looking in Setsu's favor...

Round 5 - ...especially after Gina throws her support in for Raqio again.

For whatever reason, despite Setsu and SQ gunning for Raqio, they vote for Stella instead. We could have forced a revote if we stuck with Raqio, though with Gina being pro-Raqio it still would've ultimately led to the same outcome.

Thus Setsu has been iced. Back to our room...

Music: A Sip of Wonder

There is still time remaining, so try speaking with the others, as you may be able to gather crucial information.

After each vote, we can visit one of the characters still alive. With larger numbers, they may not all appear at once.

For now, let's visit Stella, as she's one of the only ones I kinda trust.

This is really just fluff, though. The only actual purpose for visiting characters like this is to gauge how much they trust you. Characters get more snippy with you if they're against you for whatever reason.

There are events that are always recommended to visit if available, but alas, we have none tonight. Oh well, at least Stella's always happy to see us.

Welp, that's Setsu and SQ down. Since SQ was human, it's likely Setsu was, too, if the two were basically allied and all. Of course, Setsu could still be Gnosia, but no way of knowing now!

Anyway, if there are two Gnosia left, we need to figure them out now or else they're gonna win this round.

Round 1 - Gina throws sus on Shigemichi, a common enough tactic.

Round 2 - Stella doubts Raqio, but Shigemichi and Gina aren't buying it.

Round 3 - Shigemichi throws it right back at Gina, though since it's Shigemichi we're talking about we instead get Stella defending Gina.

Round 4 - Raqio thinks Stella was the one who targeted SQ. Gina and Cassidy jump on the defense. Stella's the only one I trust right now.

Round 5 - Gina really hates Shigemichi, as she doubts him again, this time with assistance from Stella.

Gina's intense hatred of Shigemichi has resulted in a tie vote. Here we go again!

Round 1 - Stella throws doubt on Raqio, which Gina and I jump on. When in doubt, freeze Raqio.

Round 2 - Of course, if Raqio's not available, the secondary target is gonna always be Shigemichi, so funny it's between these two and all. Anyway, Shigemichi knows his only option is to throw suspicion at Raqio, which Stella agrees with, but since now it's Shigemichi saying it, now Gina thinks Raqio's not so bad after all.

Anyway, it ends up being Raqio, despite Gina's best efforts.

So either Setsu and Raqio were the two Gnosia, or...

Music: This is a Lie

Hehehe. Go on, drink. You'll feel so, sooo good...

So it was Gina and Stella all along. Setsu was the Engineer, of course.

As for why Setsu decided to vote for Stella, it's because they noticed Stella lying. Sometimes characters will notice other characters lying and act accordingly. Of course, it would've been nice if Setsu said something during the debate to put doubt on Stella, especially since this was during Round 2.

Also note that "Noticed someone lying" does not pop up in the Discussion Log until after the loop is complete, unless it's Cassidy noticing it of course.

That was a short loop. Let's go ahead and knock another out while we're here. Maybe the Engineer will live long enough to do their drat job this time!

This time, we start off in the cafeteria, eating lunch with Shigemichi. At least it's our favorite...

Oh yeah, this time we're the Engineer. We should do a better job than Setsu, at least.

Though why the hell we randomly told this to Shigemichi when there's Gnosia afoot is a good question...

You explained that you're able to find Gnosia.
Wow, that sounds kinda awesome... Well anyways... Let's chow down before we go meet up with everyone!

Yep, that's not a weapon. At least, not in Shigemichi's hands.

Anyway, let's get to things. We're 1-2 so far, we need to do a better job this time!

Hey, sorry bud! So, who's this Gnosia then, huh?
We're about to discuss that now. There are two Gnosia... our enemy.
And like, the Engineer? Looks like we got one of those, too! Hehe, I wonder who it is?!

Should I claim my role as Engineer?

The Engineer in general works the same way as the similar role in Werewolf and Mafia, but the way it works in Gnosia is a bit different as to how the game treats the role. It's subtle, but you'll probably get a better idea what I mean as we play a few more loops.

The biggest difference is that the game always assumes a human Engineer will reveal when possible, whereas the same role may not want to necessarily do so in Werewolf and Mafia. Thus, if only one person reveals as Engineer on Day 1, they're guaranteed human.

Of course, if you're the Engineer you have the option to say nothing if someone else says they're the Engineer, but if the logic breaks down as a result, well, let's just say the results wouldn't be pretty... I'll try to show that off later once we're through the tutorial stuff, but suffice to say, it's best practice to always step forward as a human Engineer if asked.

Cassidy and Setsu... One of them is lying...

One other note, only one Gnosia will ever claim Engineer. So even if Engineer wasn't revealed until Day 2, if Setsu and I both claimed, everyone would still know one of us was a true Engineer. Of course, if only one person claims Engineer after Day 1 (like, say, if Gina claimed Engineer in that last loop after the actual Engineer got sent to cold sleep), it's possible they may still be Gnosia.

I'm probably overexplaining things a bit, but the point is playing Engineer in Gnosia isn't exactly the same as playing a similar role in other social deduction games.

Anyway, that was Round 1. Let's move on.

Round 2 - It's not a proper game of Gnosia without Raqio getting shade. SQ and Stella doubt Raqio.

Round 3 - Then Gina doubts Raqio, though this time poor innocent Shigemichi defends them.

Round 4 - Raqio throws it right back at SQ, though Gina has her back.

Round 5 has a bit of a weird translation for Stella here.

Setsu isn't the one we should be suspecting right now. I mean, come on... really?

Stella's text is warning Setsu of danger, but really it's treated like Stella doubting Setsu. It's weird, but whatever.

Anyway, to the surprise of no one, Raqio goes to cold sleep. Again.

Maybe one day Raqio will actually make it to the end of a game. That day certainly isn't today, though.

Music: World of Probability

After today's vote, we get interrupted by someone.

Cassidy, when you stepped forward as Engineer... I was quite moved.

Stella in general likes the player character. Especially so if they're male...

You asked why you would be attacked.
If you are attacked, then the other Engineer... It would be clear that Setsu was a fake. I feel that this would prove harmful to the Gnosia side, but...

This...really isn't true. I mean, this is true for stuff like Werewolf or Mafia, but in my experiences with this game, the Gnosia really would rather leave both Engineers alive, as killing one Engineer will prove them to be human and thus also prove that the people they say are human or Gnosia are confirmed. It gives the Gnosia much less room to hide and raises the chance of being defeated through pure logic. They may kill the human Engineer immediately after the Gnosia Engineer gets put into cold sleep, but otherwise it's better to keep people doubting either or both Engineers.

That's just from my play experiences though, others may have had different results.

Alright then... Goodnight.

Anyway this is all kind of moot since this is just more tutorial.

Music: ULULO

Anyway, we're on to the map music, and this time we get the actual map music. This piece is probably one of my favorites, which is weird because chances are you'll only hear it for like fifteen seconds at the longest as you choose who to visit, so you'll likely never get to hear the song go completely bananas fifty seconds in.

It's a shame because these sections are so short I probably won't bother linking this song much, so I figured I'd hype it up while I can. It's weird as hell and I love it.

Anyway Stella has our back so I visit her again. Maybe this time she's actually human...?

There's little point investigating Setsu, since if we're human they have to be Gnosia. I instead opt with Gina.

Anyway, last night's target was...no one?

And as a bonus, we figured out Gina was Gnosia! Thus we have confirmed that the two Gnosia are Setsu and Gina, which is fantastic for Day 2.

Of course, we still have to convince everyone else to take those two out...

Since we know Gina is Gnosia, her role is revealed to us. Of course, no one else besides Setsu knows that Gina is Gnosia. And yeah, the Gnosia know who the other Gnosia are.

Huh? What's that?
One of the crew has become a Guardian Angel... And prevented the Gnosia attack.
Is that... even possible?
It is, with very specific warp-related credentials. By delaying the time of the actual warp, the Gnosia loses their chance to attack their intended victim.
Yeeaah, I like, don't get it? So basically, nobody disappeared, so we're safe...?

I failed to mention we have a second role in play now, the Guardian Angel. If they protect the person the Gnosia targets, that person won't be eliminated. Suffice to say, Stella is probably the Guardian Angel and protected us from Gnosia attack.

Anyway, on to reports. Engineer reports are always done before the debate rounds properly start.

Gnosia Engineers can make up whether they see someone as human or Gnosia. Their reports generally mean nothing if you know who they are, or aren't sure who the Engineer is. Thus, my report doesn't really mean much to the group either besides those who trust me, like Stella (who certainly knows I'm the human Engineer now since her target was protected and only humans can be murdered in the night phase).

Anyway, let's start off the first round by saying something really loving stupid.

Um... No, I simply pointed out that possibility. I did not mean to imply that I myself am the... Guardian Angel.
Mm-hmmm...?
Let's avoid trying to figure out the Guardian Angel's identity. They run the risk of being targeted by the enemy.

The Guardian Angel can't reveal their role, because there's no incentive to. I mean, in theory they'd know if specific targets are human (like I said, Stella will know we're human), but the game doesn't really deal with that logic and instead just leaves the role hidden.

Anyway, let's move on.

Round 2 - Shigemichi doubts Gina, which Cassidy jumps on. Setsu defends her, of course.

Round 3 - SQ and Cassidy throw suspicion at Setsu next. Gina comes to their aid. Don't worry, Gnosia aren't always such blatant allies with each other.

Round 4 - And even when they are, they don't lay it on as thick as Gina and Setsu are. Stella and Cassidy aren't buying it.

Round 5 - SQ throws suspicion at Stella next. Naturally, Cassidy defends her, as does Shigemichi.

I swear, I've seen nothing in my past playthrough to suggest that Gina has a vendetta against Shigemichi. Maybe it's always been there and I've just never noticed...?

This is definitely one we need to win. Stella's a trusted ally and our shield, and Gina's Gnosia. Things get pretty hairy if Gina doesn't go down here.

Round 1 - Setsu defends Gina, though Cassidy rebukes this.

Round 2 - Cassidy goes on the offensive against Gina again, and once again Setsu defends her. This time, we may have been too aggressive, as now Shigemichi is defending Gina. This isn't good...

That said, the result is a deadlock. In this case, we have something different to vote for.

There's two vote attempts on whether to freeze both Gina and Stella, or to freeze neither. Gina and Stella don't get a say in this one.

Yeeaah, that's gonna be a No Thank You from me!
You spoke out against skipping cold sleep.
So, we don't make a move. No cold sleep. You know... That's not bad. I agree.

The vote is split, with SQ and Cassidy being pro-freezing and Setsu and Shigemichi being against it. Losing Stella would suck, but we'd also take care of a Gnosia, which is also why Setsu is so against it.

If the vote splits, we do it one more time...

You proposed putting all candidates into cold sleep.
Who wants to see the candidates gone? Not me... So I'm against it.
Freeze everyone? Yup, OK with me!
Hey now, I think puttin' everyone in cold sleep is goin' a bit too far!

Same results.

This means that "Freeze Nobody" wins out. Gina and Stella stay unfrozen.

These events are generally very much worth visiting. Some aren't anything exciting, but you get a lot of new info and abilities checking these out.

Music: Remind Me

Ehehe, I was just thinking... I was hoping you'd come.

The Gnosia likely assumes that I'm the Guardian Angel. And therefore... I believe I will be... eliminated tonight.

You thanked Stella for her kind words.
Jsut knowing that you care enough to say that... It's more than I need to go peacefully.

And just as she predicted, Stella is taken out.

Sorry, Stella.

It doesn't matter who I investigate at this point, so might as well help Shigemichi's ego at this point.

Reports have us clearing Shigemichi and Setsu clearing SQ. No surprises there.

Round 1 - Turns out SQ found out she was wrong about Stella, so she realizes Setsu's the next logical target, which I jump on.

However, even with SQ siding with us, now Shigemichi is starting to side with Setsu (unsurprisingly, Gina also defends Setsu). This is bad. We may need a miracle soon...

Round 2 - And do we get it! Gina can't let her intense hatred of Shigemichi subside long enough to win this for the Gnosia, so she targets the swing vote instead of gunning for Cassidy or SQ.

Naturally, Cassidy and SQ take advantage of this and defend Shigemichi. The guy's like a puppy dog, he's loyal to a fault, so if the Gnosia are dumb enough not to show him that loyalty, we'll certainly take advantage of it!

Also SQ used the "Exaggerate" skill to emphasize her point. Many characters have their own unique skills, and we'll be learning most if not all of them along the way.

Round 3 - Cassidy leaps at this opportunity to accuse Gina, and this time Shigemichi joins us. Setsu defends Gina, but three is greater than two!

Round 4 - Gina decides to go right for us, with help from Setsu of course.

Luckily our BFF Shigemichi has our back!

Round 5 - Nothing new here. SQ accuses Gina, Setsu defends her, but it's too late.

Thanks for turning Shigemichi on our side, Gina! Much appreciated!

That just leaves Setsu.

Shigemichi did us a solid, so we pay him a visit.

If Setsu kills us, then SQ and Shigemichi should know that Setsu is a confirmed Gnosia (though that doesn't mean they would...), so instead they have to take out one of the other humans. SQ seems the obvious choice here, considering how easily Shigemichi can be manipulated.

Anyway, reports show human results for SQ (from Cassidy) and Shigemichi (from Setsu). This does prove that Shigemichi is indeed Confirmed Human since both Engineers found him so, including the actual Engineer. It doesn't really come up during this round, though.

Round 1 - Shigemichi immediately starts things off by declaring his loyalty to us. Setsu disagrees, but who cares what they think.

Round 2 - Cassidy returns the favor and states their trust of Shigemichi. He's probably not used to hearing nice things said about him.

Round 3 - Again, Setsu tries to argue we're the bad guy, and again, nobody cares what Gnosia scum has to say.

Round 4 - Cassidy and Shigemichi lay on the doubt for Setsu. Not like we have anything else to do!

Round 5 - Setsu's still trying, and failing, to paint us at the enemy.

The weird thing here is Setsu voted for Shigemichi instead of Cassidy, probably because of our powerful plot armor.

And with that, victory is assured.

Music: A Ray of Hope

Great work, Cassidy. And great work, me!

Even Shigemichi has his uses, it seems! It feels nice to get a good win from this one.

We'll see what twists and turns are thrown our way next time!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 28, 2021

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I've only known Shigemichi for one update, but if anything were to happen to him, I'd put everyone else on the ship into cold sleep, and then myself. :allears:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If anything, Shigemichi might be slightly more human than anyone else.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That sectoid is now alyways our best friend, even if he's a space alien monster trying to kill us.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If the engineer investigates the guardian angel, do they see 'guardian angel' or just 'human'?

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Carbon dioxide posted:

If the engineer investigates the guardian angel, do they see 'guardian angel' or just 'human'?

The engineer just sees "Gnosia" or "Human" as its two possible results.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Hey, just a head's up, this update and the last one, you sometimes dipped into using female pronouns for Setsu.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fat Samurai posted:

The make makes a great job of keeping ludo-narrative... consonance(?). Whatever it's called. Raqio goes into the fish tank (or gets murdered) quite often.

As shown by last update, Raquio is a dead person walking unless Cassidy goes out of their way to cover for them.
That's because:
a) they usually can deduce every role by round 2, making them a threat to gnosia
b) they have zero social abilities, meaning a random SQ throwing shade their way once is usually enough for a fridging
c) when gnosia, they almost always bluff a role at first available opportunity
d) to their credit, they can keep their findings extremely consistent
e) but it doesn't matter because they can't bluff to save their life, so everyone and their pet cat can spot the lie when they claim

End result, the fridge is their second home.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

serefin99 posted:

Hey, just a head's up, this update and the last one, you sometimes dipped into using female pronouns for Setsu.

Thanks for that! I fixed the ones that I found (one in the next-to-last update, and two in the latest update).

If I miss any more, let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Shigemichi's personality is apparently based off of sombody the devs knows IRL which makes him even more :allears: