Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well this certainly seems like an interesting ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

2019, what the hell!? At least it got a second chance on the Switch?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Huh. Uh, what is actually the win condition for the AC follower? Just surviving? In that case, why not just side with the humans?

It looks like it's causing the Gnosia to win while also surviving to the end. Which is definitely a really harsh set of circumstances to live through. You have no idea who the Gnosia are, so you have to avoid getting them iced, while avoiding being iced yourself and hoping that a Gnosia doesn't target you. The fact that you have to live through to the end or it's an auto loss is probably the biggest part that makes that role hard to win as. Can't just sacrifice yourself to give the Gnosia a chance to win.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Huh well that's certainly an interesting role and a way to escalate things. So basically it sounds like if they win, they rob any side of their victory. So Gnosia can't off them, so that's an extra incentive for them to keep the real engineer alive. Because if they take out the engineer, they'll have to somehow get the Bug to go to cold sleep to win after that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well that's a hell of a way to reveal a new role.

Also count me in at not realizing Raqio's hat wasn't their hair.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Huh, now I'm wondering how you win against a bug reliably. I'm assuming it was just a surprise on this loop to introduce it, so maybe future loops with one will have them be a known presence which should lessen some of the advantages they have. A bug has no incentive to lie as things stand, since they really don't care which side wins as long as they get to the end. Aside from trying to get the engineers to go to cold sleep since they have a lot of advantages by just pretending to be a crew member and can't really get evidence stacked against them like Gnosia can.

Ganking a known engineer as Gnosia is now out of the question in loops with a bug in it unless they're really convinced they can send the bug to cold sleep afterwards since they'll have their victory robbed entirely. And Gnosia outing a failed gank would pretty much reveal their position on the spot too (And that's not reliable evidence with a Guardian Angel in play.) And would also require the Gnosia player to be ridiculously selfless (which the game personally disincentives for the player too with elimination being an automatic loss) to do.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Player Bugs played as dumb, boring Crew who just happen to mistakenly ice the real Engineer are probably really hard for the AI to win against in general with decent stat investment and play. Even if the Gnosia find out the player is the Bug, the player might still be able to turn the Crew against them reliably if they've chosen allies well in advance. Make someone like Shigemichi a Bug though, and they'll either a) claim a role, and then be caught lying or b) be themselves and stand out too much to pass up for cold sleep. All it takes for the house of cards to crash is a night where nobody dies and suddenly a bunch of people will start saying X or Y is shady, and any of their friends who stop the cold sleep process on them get nightkilled until finally X or Y is put to rest in the day cycle.

e: It's tricky for the Gnosia to maneuver cold sleep on a Bug who isn't standing out and who's already made good inroads into the Crew for sure, especially if there's a Guardian Angel to confuse things, but the Gnosia can potentially suss them out still unlike Crew who will be completely oblivious unless the Bug falsely claims a role. A chance of intelligent play beats the pants off having nothing but the gut to work from, after all.

Now, a player who is stock Crew against Yuriko playing a Bug? Good loving luck with that one, you'd probably have an easier time playing as the sole Gnosia in a 15 person game.

Course the characters being who they are, some of them would probably out themselves as a bug very quickly instead of doing the smart thing and chilling to the end. :v: The ones that actually do follow that strat would probably have to be outed through strokes of luck through cold sleep voting, or the Engineer happens to discover them. But yeah seems like there's very little incentive for them to side with Gnosia other than trying to goad them to nightkill the engineer. Seems like it's better to ally with the human side since most of the crew can't do anything about you other than voting you out.

Oh god Bug Yuriko would basically be nearly invincible, wouldn't she? At that point you'd have to hope the Engineer takes her down (Or make her your first priority if you're engie and you don't know who the bug is.) And if you're not on the Gnosia side, pray that they don't off the engie themselves and basically torpedo the chances of anyone else winning the loop.

And this isn't even getting into how the characters would throw so many wrenches into any potential strategies. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

Oh Jonas.

Is it possible to play a loop with no engineers or doctors? How about loops with no external ways to confirm? Which also means no guard duties to confirm crew. Crew's got to sus out the Gnosia for themselves. And Gnosia side can't use claims for extra discord. Possibly add in a Bug for extra difficulty since they can't randomly get ganked by the engie. Would like to see how Gnosias react to failed ganks with no engie and guardian angel if it's possible to do such a loop.

And a "try to win your way out of this one." You play as guard duty. Maximum amount of Gnosia. No Guardian Angel. Good luck.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 31, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Donkringel posted:

Raqio's head dress would be wonderful as an Among Us item.

Tried a little something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I don't think Yuriko is that omniscient, otherwise reallocating your stats gives her ample ammo to pin you down as the Bug for that loop, and good luck surviving that when she has guaranteed evidence against you.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 9, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:stare: Certainly wasn't expecting the odd way the cat was drawn around his neck to mean it was actually going through it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah outside of some challenge runs, seems like we saw most of what the game has to offer gameplay wise. At this point seems like the events are the main attraction now.