Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How long do you think Chinese fans would last if you’re getting bummed every week and sitting 12th in a league with no stakes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

I mean if neither French nor German teams are involved, then there'll be zero interest in these countries. The only people following Spanish or British teams here do so because their top player has nice abs.

Even if Bayern joins, then you still have a league where most teams are soulless investment vehicles owned by Russian, American or Middle Eastern Oligarchs. Those clubs that signed up now are precisely the clubs that have no real connection to the sport anyway. And half of them are English. I can't imagine fans in Europe are going to spend money to follow some boring rear end English club league.

If Bayern and PSG do not join, then nothing will change here. CL will be dead, but so what.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

is there really such a guaranteed market for this that these clubs just went ahead and did it? the reaction is unanimously extremely negative across the board

probably, yeah. I dislike it but it is almost certainly the best financial move for all these clubs.

I read "the club" some months ago (you should too) and one of my biggest takeaways was how euro football leagues and especially the prem were really more similar to some kind of cottage or bespoke financial approach than modern big money sports operations.

the lovely thing is that's one of the things that I and a lot of people love about the sport. the NFL kind of sucks.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
also the next step in this process is labor warfare so let's all strap in for that poo poo

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Other clubs can become “big clubs” if this goes ahead. Seems mental that people think the big names are required to me. gently caress them

I don't think you're wrong about "big clubs"; surely most of the revenue comes from the international audience who have only become fans of the symbols that were marketed to them. I think the bet here is that the do-nothings that run the domestic leagues and federations wouldn't take cuts to their own pay for as long as it would take to make that happen. You can't buy high quality debt bonds with gratitude. Also, I think the instincts of the billionaires currently on the outside of this looking in would lead them to support their own kind.

Also, I don't think there will be any surprises when they announce the 3 remaining permanent members. This wouldn't be announced if they weren't sure they had PSG, Bayern Munich, and Dortmund.

I guess we're about to find out how much control the common club members of Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, and Barcelona really have.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
Are teams in the Super League still planning to play in their domestic leagues, eg is this meant to just replace the Champions League? I'm confused because the news specifies the league will be a midweek league.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Buckhead posted:

Are teams in the Super League still planning to play in their domestic leagues, eg is this meant to just replace the Champions League? I'm confused because the news specifies the league will be a midweek league.

Yes to both

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Buckhead posted:

The Super League wants to replace Champions League. UEFA is threatening to ban participants from their domestic leagues. I can't imagine that ban actually happens because it would be absolute suicide.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bape Culture posted:

How long do you think Chinese fans would last if you’re getting bummed every week and sitting 12th in a league with no stakes?

Funny how fans of clubs like Chelsea and Man City didn’t have any issue with hundreds of millions of pounds being spent at their clubs when they became the cancers that started this mindset. The Premier League already is a super league of billionaires playing with their toys, and the FA was more than happy to watch it happen. It’s such a massive laugh, and I’m so here for it.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Looks like both Dortmund and Bayern have rejected their invites

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

This'll make me feel better about supporting Doncaster at least.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I hope the national leagues fine and relegate all involved clubs just on this announcement alone, and ban them entirely if it goes through. Scorched loving earth. I'll find a new team to watch.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Reset Smith posted:

Looks like both Dortmund and Bayern have rejected their invites

I’m sure that Red Bull team will be happy to take their place.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
double rip to football’s already dead and putrid corpse

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Concerned Citizen posted:

The Super League wants to replace Champions League. UEFA is threatening to ban participants from their domestic leagues. I can't imagine that ban actually happens because it would be absolute suicide.
Why would it be suicide? After all, the Super League's plan is to basically nuke the UEFA model and keep all the spoils for themselves.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Buckhead posted:

If they’re looking at an 18 match ‘season’ plus playoffs that’s a step up compared to current European competition so I assume they would also be looking to gently caress off out of all domestic cups too to make room.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

araeris posted:

I think the point the controlling interests of these 12 (but really 15) clubs have made is the domestic leagues would be burning down their own houses if they tried. The revenue that the domestic leagues and Champions League enjoy come overwhelmingly from fans of these teams.

What would be the asking price for the sponsorship of a London derby between West Ham and Crystal Palace? What is the overseas TV revenue going to be for your European final between Leicester City and *trip to Wikipedia* ...Roma?

It sucks, but it seems inevitable that the super rich oligarchs would eventually turn on the slightly-less rich aristocrats that pretended to be in control of the situation. This is either the endgame or all the leverage needed to cause the domestic leagues and UEFA to bend backward as far as required to maintain the illusion of status quo.

This would own, actually. Let the ultrarich gently caress off to their playground and football can again become a game of the downtrodden, played in crumbling stadiums full of the poor who want to have a fight in the tube station before, during and after the game.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
guess im an oldham fan now

time to shave my head and get a swastika tattoo

ha

ha

ha

:suicide:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
gently caress the ESL and all the clubs who agreed to it, it did give us this joke though:

Spurs joining a European Super League is like Bananaman being called up as an Avenger.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
bananaman would legit do a better job than hawkeye

spurs wouldnt

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
On one hand this is awful.

On the other, it kills UEFAs planned changes which were going to bring in some terrible chess ranking Swiss model where teams play random other teams and are sorted into a league based on how good their results were Vs the opposition they got to play.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Relegate every one of these team except arsenal. Relegate them twice.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
The only thing this benefits is the owners and the player agents who are eyeing up £10m+ signing bonuses

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DrWrestling69 posted:

Relegate every one of these team except arsenal. Relegate them twice.
Arsenal: one of Europe's mightiest teams and also ten points behind West Ham in the Premier League and also closer to relegation than they are to a top-two finish.

CyberPingu posted:

The only thing this benefits is the owners and the player agents who are eyeing up £10m+ signing bonuses
Wasn't it a Juventus exec who said not long ago that aside from signing bonuses not a single thing in a player contract should be guaranteed?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
The Ray Parlour is a good idea and will revolutionize football. Only small posters like Jose and Vyelkin are worried. I speaknfor everyone when I say YES to going back to the name The Ray Parlour.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
I sure hope that if this goes on ahead Porto doesn't accept this invitation to be part of the last 5 teams. This is so demeaning that all of sudden you need to be good friends of these rich assholes to be able to play with them.
As if poo poo wasnt skewed enough against us now all these teams want to get even more money so the gap between them and everyone else grows even bigger.
The same loving teams that have destroyed football economic model now complain that they don't get enough money. Oh boohoo you loving babies.

Ban them all, make sure that players that stay there get banned from national football too. If internal leagues lose almost all the revenue then so be it, take the opportunity to break the system apart and create something that can be sustained instead.

Also a hearty lmao to teams that we defeated this year in CL with a fraction of a fraction of their budget are part of this. I'm looking at you Juventus

theghostpt fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 19, 2021

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

J.P. Morgan Chase bank has been confirmed as the official money men behind all of this.

You might remember them from the Enron scandal
or the WorldCom scandal...
or their UK banking scandal...
or their Overcharging Active-Duty Military on Mortgages scandal...
or the Class-Action lawsuits against them (I've been part of one of them!)...
or their California Energy Market scandal...
or the Subprime Mortgage scandal...
or the Bernie Madoff scandal...
or their Mortgage Racial Discrimination Scandal...
or their Market Derivatives scandal

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 19, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

J.P. Morgan Chase bank has been confirmed as the official money men behind all of this.

Another American....colour me shocked

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Flayer posted:

Fucks sake, this is the endgame of Arsenal having American ownership. If these teams force this through and the national leagues ban them it's going to cause complete mayhem. It even throws the rest of this season into doubt...

I have to say one thing I am finding amusing is that Spurs are in this. You last won a league title in 1961 what the gently caress are you doing you clowns

They're super popular in South Korea because of Son Heung-min. People will demand TV broadcast this new leagues games here just because of him.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

:d2a:

I do find it kind of funny to see the PL crying about a breakaway league for money but yeah this is a poo poo American import and it sucks for football. I guess the one possible good thing is the government looks at the German teams not joining and passes a law mandating fan ownership but we can't have nice things so it won't happen.

Fundamentally though people will still tune in. I'll probably give up my season ticket because I was half thinking of doing it anyway but It's not like I'm going to go to Leyton Orient and try not to kill myself for 90 ninutes every week instead.

Once again JC was right
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1180770316152442880?s=19

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 19, 2021

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

:d2a:

I do find it kind of funny to see the PL crying about a breakaway league for money but yeah this is a poo poo American import and it sucks for football.
An American import but yet look who the Chairman is: good old Florentino

And even if it's an American import it's a terrible version of an American import. The closed leagues with restrictive player policies? Those have often come into force in recent years due to owners of smaller-market teams playing hardball and forcing big-market owners to make concessions and not the other way around. And the four "major" pro sports leagues in the US? Three of them are the way they are now because competing leagues merged or combined functions instead of having teams gently caress off and do their own thing because they thought they were better than everyone else.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 19, 2021

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bacon Terrorist posted:

gently caress the ESL and all the clubs who agreed to it, it did give us this joke though:

Spurs joining a European Super League is like Bananaman being called up as an Avenger.

not gonna lie, I laughed a lot at Gary Neville going on a shouty rant about people coming in and pissing away a century of history for United and Liverpool, and then basically going "spurs can leave if they want, not really fussed"

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

This is a GREAT day

For lawyers

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
If their plan is to have this midweek and still play in domestic leagues, and the federations hold fast to saying gently caress off you can't do this and stay in the domestic leagues and also your players can't play international football then it's not viable. They should go further and take FIFA accreditation away from any agents who deal with these clubs.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure Dortmund have said they don't want a Euro super league but if one exists they'd have no choice but to join it. The German teams are almost certainly just playing the PR game and want to be seen to be dragged into it against their will.

I'm not sure if Spurs joining or Arsenal fans being pissy about Spurs being allowed to join is funnier.

This is definitely step one in creation of the Euro-NFL imo. They want to recreate that closed shop money printing machine.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I really doubt FIFA are going to be any use in stopping this. A European Super League weakens UEFA which makes FIFA happy. I wouldn't be surprised to see it under the auspices of FIFA if it goes ahead.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/fergalkiernan/status/1384064384809332740

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Actually im now for the Super League

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

loving hell

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1384062591450771465?s=20