Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?

the sex ghost posted:

Rangers and Celtic will throw off the shackles of being confined to the SPL to get battered by Bayern Munich twice a week on pay per view

They'd get pumped worse than Mueller's horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

the sex ghost posted:

Rangers and Celtic will throw off the shackles of being confined to the SPL to get battered by Bayern Munich twice a week on pay per view

don't kinkshame

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
And then there were 2

https://www.juventus.com/en/news/articles/press-release-06-06-2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

A resounding success

slorb
May 14, 2002
Maybe the simplest solution is to give any european team that wins the Champions league the option of playing in the EPL. If they then get relegated from the EPL they just go back to their original league.

Way less drama than setting up a whole new league structure.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

And you think UEFA/the CL clubs/the sponsors/the rights holders would all be totally fine with being relegated to a second-rate competition?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s just a bad idea from every angle

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

slorb posted:

Maybe the simplest solution is to give any european team that wins the Champions league the option of playing in the EPL. If they then get relegated from the EPL they just go back to their original league.

Way less drama than setting up a whole new league structure.

Do this but the 18th place EPL team gets relegated to the other league

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Resurrecting this thread now that UEFA have been DESTROYED in a court of law which means the Super League is back and definitely real and happening, and will include all your favourite clubs and players assuming that all your favourite clubs and players are located in Riyadh

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
if they make the super league, uefa can just make the super-duper league and theres nothing they can do about it

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1737793695783477628

lol at all of this, but mainly that they still dont have any graphic design

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Blue league lol :effort:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

A bunch of clubs are already preemptively saying they won’t join the new league but a few teams like PSV are playing coy. I think the most likely outcome is UEFA revamps the CL to the clubs’ whims rather than a Super League actually happening.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
*guys coming up with the most exciting names for the new most exciting league, can literally be anything*

star, gold, and blue

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What we need is more football for top players' bodies to disintegrate, and for that reason I'm a huge supporter of this new Super League.

Right now the main draw Champions League has 32 teams and 16 of them only play 6 matches, then 8 play 8 matches, 4 play 10 matches, 2 play 12 matches and the last 2 play a 13th match.

The new Super League proposal includes 64 teams, and of those 64, 40 of them will play 14 matches, 12 will play 16 matches, 6 will play 18 matches, and the last 6 will play a 19th match. If you believe in the noble goal of destroying the bodies of as many footballers as possible for the benefit of broadcasters and advertisers who would like more matches to sell commercials on, you've just got to say YES to these new proposals.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

They've already added a minimum of two extra matches to the Champions League for next season

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I would be interested to see what would happen if the ESL as presented there made a better offer to the EFL for promotion/relegation since the Prem is its own entity and presumably wouldn't agree to let the top 4 be promoted to the Blue League every season. Want to see Wigan in the European Super League and prem teams getting relegated to the conference

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
thanks to this news I looked back through this thread and found this:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1384276887761940489

RIP everyone, we did not let Florentino Perez found the original Super League and that means we have only 10 days left before we are all dead, it's been an honour posting with you all

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
We killed football. Were finally free

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my chest. Thank you, Florentino

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I knew we should’ve listened to Flo’.

RIP football. Hopefully the world itself will continue to exist for a few more years. If not, thanks and goodbye.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

“This is the only way to save everyone. Big, medium and small clubs like Spurs”

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
This is the clubs/FAs on twitter that have said something about it , that I can find.

Against : Atalanta, Marseille, Leipzig, the Italian Fotball Federation, the Dutch FA and Eredivisie, Roma, Dortmund, FC Copenhagen, Red Bull Salzburg, Real Sociedad, the Spanish Federation, Ligue 1, Inter, Celtic, Monaco, Leverkusen, PSG, Sevilla, Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Atletico Madrid

For: Napoli

lol

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Vegetable posted:

A bunch of clubs are already preemptively saying they won’t join the new league but a few teams like PSV are playing coy. I think the most likely outcome is UEFA revamps the CL to the clubs’ whims rather than a Super League actually happening.

I think this or the other option would be like the Premier League where essentially something similar to the existing CL takes over but just cutting UEFA out of the money/decision making.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

the sex ghost posted:

what do we do now

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
football 2

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

What if we put football…on the blockchain? *gets paid billions of dollars*

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

lomzus posted:

This is the clubs/FAs on twitter that have said something about it , that I can find.

Against : Atalanta, Marseille, Leipzig, the Italian Fotball Federation, the Dutch FA and Eredivisie, Roma, Dortmund, FC Copenhagen, Red Bull Salzburg, Real Sociedad, the Spanish Federation, Ligue 1, Inter, Celtic, Monaco, Leverkusen, PSG, Sevilla, Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Atletico Madrid

lol

Every club outside the Premier League will change their tune for the money.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

We the Ray Parlour, reject this post, we did not kill football.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

lomzus posted:

lol

De Laurentiis sticking to his stance of “more money for me and go gently caress yourself” is at least a win for consistency.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I'm sorry everyone, I thought getting the irony 2021 gangtag would be cool and funny. I didn't mean to wake the dead

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Liverpool have released a statement that reads, in its entirety:

quote:

Yesterday’s ruling by the European Court of Justice does not change Liverpool FC’s previous stance on a proposed European Super League. Our involvement has been discontinued.

We will continue to work with fellow clubs through the ECA and participate in UEFA competitions.

and Klopp added: "I agree 100% with the statement. I also like that we finally get an understanding that Uefa and other FAs can't just do what they want, putting in more games with people having no say in it. I like that they've got a bit of a shake."

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
the biggest lol

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1738096047115694484

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

That is quite something

Have Arsenal said anything yet

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

kri kri posted:

That is quite something

Have Arsenal said anything yet

Arsenal Football Club notes the judgement by the European Court of Justice on Thursday, 21 December 2023 and our position in relation to the European Super League has not changed.

We will continue to play in UEFA competitions and continue to work with fellow European clubs and the European Club Association (ECA).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Joan Laporta announced the superleague is happening in 2026 and named a bunch of clubs including Roma who've just put out a statement saying they're not involved nor going to be

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
also ajax and feyenoord. lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1767879566016610374?t=tMdruMLXbshflftmIfpcGA&s=19

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lol, but more importantly: lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol

next on their list: European Premier League