Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

QED, this all serves no purpose other than to funnel cash from Asian and North American fans of the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Got on my soapbox a bit about this poo poo

https://twitter.com/mfcrocker/status/1384075063012429827?s=19

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Gigi Galli posted:

This is total garbage and I’m disappointed, though not surprised at all, to see Milan in there.

From what I read in the Italian papers today, UEFA is building some legal case against this, including barring not only the clubs, but the players from playing in all uefa competitions which includes internationals. That also includes leagues themselves, meaning that this dumb pile of friendlies would be the only thing the listed clubs could play in.

It really does stink of American bullshit and I hate it.

I read somewhere (not sure where as I've seen so much about this in the last 24 hours) that FIFA hold players registrations for internationals, so I don't think UEFA can do anything on that front.

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
https://twitter.com/CheapPanini/status/1384077627112132622

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Well this sucks

I hope every club involved including my own gets relegated and crashes and burns in a hilarious fashion

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Oh god this is going to be his Magnus Opum

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

They're going to find him dead at his desk trying to finish the unwritten final panel.

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
https://twitter.com/squires_david/status/1384082896101593095

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ffs deleted already

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I hope Legacy Fans™ get a cool badge to wear to show their seniority. Maybe some exclusive DLC?

I hope this all goes tits up but at the same time destroys UEFA and FIFA in some way. I'm not sure how it would work out ultimately but I'd love for Arsenal to go bust if it forced out the shithead americans. I'm sure stadium maintenance could cover itself with match day revenue at least, we just wouldn't be able to spunk £350,000 a week on world class players intentionally frozen out of the first team for political reasons.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Flayer posted:

I hope Legacy Fans™ get a cool badge to wear to show their seniority. Maybe some exclusive DLC?

I hope this all goes tits up but at the same time destroys UEFA and FIFA in some way. I'm not sure how it would work out ultimately but I'd love for Arsenal to go bust if it forced out the shithead americans. I'm sure stadium maintenance could cover itself with match day revenue at least, we just wouldn't be able to spunk £350,000 a week on world class players intentionally frozen out of the first team for political reasons.

Dock points, force the owners out or strip the money from them.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/ManCityHelp/status/1384054166105075712?s=20

on the plus side, emily will have a good example to give during her next job interview when she's asked about how she dealt with a challenging situation

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPSoD5ruVhY

Utd stepped down from the ECA, Woodward resigned from UEFA

So thats all the Italian teams and Utd have hosed off so far

Vavy
Feb 23, 2007
Curious as to how the consulting firms these buffoons paid $$$$ told them how this would play out optically, with close to unanimous disapproval thus far. I live amongst the international PL fan demographic they are so hungry to court, and conversations at work this morning further show literally nobody likes this.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
This does feel genuinely seismic... like I'm struggling to concentrate at work cos of this lol

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm sure they expected all the backlash, they just think that once they start playing games (and probably very high quality ones) the fans will forget and the TV companies will come knocking.

They're almost certainly right too.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Vavy posted:

Curious as to how the consulting firms these buffoons paid $$$$ told them how this would play out optically, with close to unanimous disapproval thus far. I live amongst the international PL fan demographic they are so hungry to court, and conversations at work this morning further show nobody likes this.
They know that nobody will like this and they don't care. They are banking on fans still tuning in next season. None of the movers or shakers in this give a toss about bad press or ill feeling right now, how it plays out next season will be the determining factor.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
So far, only Mourinho has been fired - ostensibly for protesting the idea. We can assume all the other coaches are okay with it until they say otherwise.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They know the chances of fans actually not watching Liverpool v Juve and instead returning to watching village teams attempt to murder each other over a pigs bladder or whatever are not high.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Flayer posted:

They know that nobody will like this and they don't care. They are banking on fans still tuning in next season. None of the movers or shakers in this give a toss about bad press or ill feeling right now, how it plays out next season will be the determining factor.

They're banking on the $3.5bn JP Morgan investment capital more than anything. It's huge up front cash for joining up, a few years of revenue wobbles won't matter.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

jeebus bob posted:

So far, only Mourinho has been fired - ostensibly for protesting the idea. We can assume all the other coaches are okay with it until they say otherwise.

I assume extremely lucrative lifetime roles with FSG and ADUG are being offered to Klopp and Pep as we speak.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

Void the seasons of all of these clubs. Forfeit their results and tell them they won't be playing again. Get Rodger's Leicester to take the title from Klopp's Liverpool. Its what they loving deserve. Oh, and void Liverpools title anyway, and I say this as a fan.

this but im not that much of a fan

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

also this basically means im donezo with juve. i was already iffy on them with the whole covering of ronaldo against accusations but this just seals it. rip.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/FootballManager/status/1384080217401028610

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Throw them all out of their leagues, burn the stadiums to the ground and give the WAGs to me, rear end cobra

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

jeebus bob posted:

That was a fake tweet. Levy took advantage of the media furore to sack him.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Rumor here has it that the ESL offered a spot to Zenit and it was ignored.
No way to corroborate that, but if so, a bold move to ask in a club which (a) is controlled by UEFA's major sponsor and (b) nobody in the ESL's target markets gives or ever will give a poo poo about

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Very convenient that Liverpool decided to tap out of the premier league the night before they had to play Leeds at elland road

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Alexeythegreat posted:

Rumor here has it that the ESL offered a spot to Zenit and it was ignored.
No way to corroborate that, but if so, a bold move to ask in a club which (a) is controlled by UEFA's major sponsor and (b) nobody in the ESL's target markets gives or ever will give a poo poo about
Sounds fake. Why would you invite a Russian team into your western European league? Just constant problems with timezones.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Flayer posted:

Sounds fake. Why would you invite a Russian team into your western European league? Just constant problems with timezones.

Money

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Flayer posted:

Because Zenit = Gazprom and Gazprom = money
This logic is not correct. The last time Gazprom provided any significant financing to Zenit was way back in 2015. All Russian clubs are now poor by modern football standards. That's not to mention the permanent threat of more sanctions.

I am not inclined to dismiss this right away precisely because it shows a complete lack of research beyond associating a label with $$$

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Flayer posted:

Take the sponsors away from uefa as well as the TV companies

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

the sex ghost posted:

Very convenient that Liverpool decided to tap out of the premier league the night before they had to play Leeds at elland road
Perfect timing. I’m calm now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SigvDl14tAU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

the sex ghost posted:

Agnelli said last year that Atalanta shouldn’t be in the champions league because they’re just a provincial side that got lucky one year and the day after Juve lose to them he announces this.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Gigi Galli posted:

Agnelli said last year that Atalanta shouldn’t be in the champions league because they’re just a provincial side that got lucky one year and the day after Juve lose to them he announces this.

Champions league except if the champions are a team that isn't us

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Incredible

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

None of what is being said there is particularly shocking but to just hear it being said.....yeeesh. I’m sad that Man United appear to be so central to these plans but I’m not a shareholder so....

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Aside from the huge lol of modern Milan being included in this, it’s especially infuriating because we’re coming off the best season in 10 years that would have likely qualified us for the CL. I’ve been waiting for this for a decade for fucks sake.

Is it possible to blame Gazidis for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

glazers bad but also sky bad and lol forever at them openly propagandizing against someone else doing the thing that they did and killing their business model