Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Tortilla Maker posted:

Unsure, but they make clear that their "aim is to keep developing the Super League project in a constructive and cooperative manner, always counting on all football stakeholders: fans, players, coaches, clubs, leagues, and national and international associations."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

mfcrocker posted:

It's pretty clear that they're not going to be allowed to take another shot at it, the penalties from the Prem are very punitive and by next time they get round to it there might even be legislative barriers (assuming Boris isn't a coward, which he is)

The penalties from the prem were like one week's wage bill weren't they? I thought they were pretty much nothing.

Should've death penaltied the clubs and booted them from the football league

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ilmucche posted:

The penalties from the prem were like one week's wage bill weren't they? I thought they were pretty much nothing.

I’m more on about the stuff they agreed if it should ever happen again, think there’s something ridiculous like a 30 point deduction

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

ilmucche posted:

Basically that's what happens if they do it again.

30 point deduction which brings you close if not relegated.

For those clubs being relegated means losing all your star players in one swoop basically. Probably sponsors too.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

CyberPingu posted:

For those clubs being relegated means losing all your star players in one swoop basically. Probably sponsors too.

Yeah, but if all six of you do it together, only Arsenal, Spurs and one of Man United and Chelsea get relegated!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CyberPingu posted:

Soft. Boot them from the football league.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Soft. Boot them from the football league.

Agreed. And I was calling for a scorched earth approach to this when it happened.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The danger with over punishing on a first offense is you are essentially forcing the clubs into the Super League and obviously the idea of 6 of the richest clubs in the league being suddenly gone is a scary one.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

There's always going to be a threat until the money gets cut off from the project. FAs need to start inserting more exclusivity clauses in their broadcasting contracts somehow, so Sky would lose the PL if they showed matches that weren't officially sanctioned by UEFA/FIFA/whatever.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

There's always going to be a threat until the money gets cut off from the project. FAs need to start inserting more exclusivity clauses in their broadcasting contracts somehow, so Sky would lose the PL if they showed matches that weren't officially sanctioned by UEFA/FIFA/whatever.

Most jurisdictions (and certainly almost all that matter in terms of market size) make exclusivity clauses very hard to enforce because it's difficult for an exclusivity clause to not be anticompetitive

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Flayer posted:

The danger with over punishing on a first offense is you are essentially forcing the clubs into the Super League and obviously the idea of 6 of the richest clubs in the league being suddenly gone is a scary one.

Two seasons of Prem money and people would be swapping their Spurs tops for Wednesday ones.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Yep that was it, what a week that was lmao

All the endless dunking on spurs was hilarious

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Alctel posted:

All the endless dunking on spurs was hilarious

A spurs fan on discord blocked someone over that lmao

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

dont make me meltdown over this

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
God damnit I can't find it. Anyone have that video with the newscaster in front of a big TV that was like, "The Super League will include many of the giants of the Premier League.... and Tottenham!"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

God damnit I can't find it. Anyone have that video with the newscaster in front of a big TV that was like, "The Super League will include many of the giants of the Premier League.... and Tottenham!"

Featuring the PL top 4, and guests

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Not the video you're looking for but one of my favourite small digs at Spurs (and more so City, in this instance) is this read out of the 2019 CL quarter final draw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoJYVVEgrvU&t=1479s

One of these ties is not like the others.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
probably not worth much legally as he says but lol all the same

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1427212786749345796?s=20

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/ecaeurope/status/1427240587967795202?s=21

superdead league

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/juvefcdotcom/status/1434120269078179846?s=21

joy

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
This is going to end with Agnelli getting brutally assassinated in broad daylight in the piazza castello like it’s the 80s again.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
At this point let those three teams play each other and suffer the fixture congestion or schedule their other fixtures to clash as awkwardly as possible

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

At this point let those three teams play each other and suffer the fixture congestion or schedule their other fixtures to clash as awkwardly as possible
One of the guys on Football Weekly said that the Premier League should get really petty about it, and set up a new 9:30am fixture slot specifically for these teams immediately after they've played Barcelona in Qatar the night before.

I so hope they do that.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Not really sure how premier league fixtures will affect real madrid, barcelona and juventus, but the principle is sound

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tsaedje posted:

Not really sure how premier league fixtures will affect real madrid, barcelona and juventus, but the principle is sound

TV coverage.

Edit: I guess that would only work if the games were scheduled at the same time, I don’t get it either.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I assume the podcast said that before the Grand Walk-Back, and the op meant that La Liga/Serie A should take that idea and run with it

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1442596116466446339?s=21

https://twitter.com/skykaveh/status/1442594957655621635?s=21

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I wonder how much the bribes were

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
goddamn, how are they this pathetic and craven, if for no other reason for leverage for another bigger bribe when the big clubs inevitably try this poo poo again in a few years

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

sticksy posted:

goddamn, how are they this pathetic and craven, if for no other reason for leverage for another bigger bribe when the big clubs inevitably try this poo poo again in a few years

It is basically due to a Spanish court ruling saying UEFA cannot punish these teams until the other court case is resolved.

quote:

“UEFA has informed the nine clubs that in view of the pending court proceedings in Madrid, and to avoid any unnecessary complication,” the organization said, “UEFA will not request payment of any of the amounts offered in the May declarations of the clubs, as long as the court proceedings in Madrid involving, among others, UEFA are pending.”

A Spanish judge last week gave UEFA five days to confirm it will abide by the court’s ruling and not punish the teams for their involvement in the Super League. Their case was also notified by the judge in Madrid to the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg. A deadline for submissions to the court is next month.

https://apnews.com/article/soccer-sports-la-liga-serie-a-madrid-9b6241549d9c1092a337231968fcc70f

Basically no punishment or action will be taken until all the legal battles are resolved which was what the Super League teams wanted when they filed a case against UEFA a day after the Super League to announce. Do a bunch of legal stuff to prevent UEFA from doing any actual punishment until the Super League was ready.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Uefa not just taking it

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1442749952329924611?s=19

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

gently caress UEFA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Please respect uefa.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

Please respect uefa.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

This hog is right

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol i'm sure teams will be happy to blow up uefa for this

https://twitter.com/juvefcdotcom/status/1497344191743074306?s=20&t=XE09mwCSxBqSYJfpGEKY5w

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Do you get a trophy for qualifying for the super league

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Yeah but you have to buy it yourself on top of the bribes

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So it's the Champions League League

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Every year, the clubs from France not named Paris Saint-Germain get swapped out for new French clubs. Lather, rinse, repeat.