Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is the idea for this to replace Champions League games for these clubs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Flayer posted:

Jack Walker and Blackburn is an example of that, Roman Abramovich is not. A local supporter having a few extra million is worlds away from a billionaire oligarch with global business ties being allowed to obliterate the culture of a club and ushered in this era where more and more clubs are owned by some global magnate or political entity. I grew up in north London in an area where everyone supported Arsenal and the club and it's culture seeped through the entire community. That culture is being slowly destroyed and eroded to create "Arsenal Franchise" who will play home games in Singapore or whatever and are designed to appeal to a nebulous customer from somewhere on the opposite side of the globe. Success will be measured purely on a spreadsheet and the local community that nurtured the club will become utterly irrelevant and will die out. This destruction of the local community happens to every club that gets swept up in the travesty of international ownership. This Superleague is just a symptom of the disease and the inevitable result of global interests being allowed to own and run football clubs and that really started in England with the purchase of Chelsea by Abramovich.

In good faith, what aspects of culture are you referring to? I can think of a couple, like the packed pubs beforehand and the walk to the ground, but I haven't been to a game for a few years now. Genuinely curious what you have to say about this.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Please excuse my naive questions, but:
- Why are so many clubs in debt?
- Is it really not possible for clubs to continue to exist based on matchday tickets (assuming no covid) and merch?
- Is this in itself not damning for modern football?

e: i'm mainly thinking here about the non big 6 sides, thinking if the big 6 break away - why are they so hosed?

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

CyberPingu posted:

- stupid investing and cunty owners
- no
- yes

Do the numbers just not add up, when it comes to salaries, stadium costs vs their income at the turnstile?

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the insight folks.

The very fact that Championship clubs can keep going with hardly any TV coverage gives me heart, although I gather from the last few days that it's a different story for lower leagues.

My naive hope, if the break away does go ahead, is that it might rally those left behind to act in solidarity with one another and protect the structure right the way down the pyramid. I used to go and watch Leicester when they were in League 1, it's still a good day out and a fantastic atmosphere.

Now for my whimsical hot take 😂 I long for the days of having players play for the club because they want to play for that club, and not because it's where they can command the highest wage. Maybe taking the money out of football would be a good thing, and would reinvigorate passion among the players to play for their local team. No I will not accept any criticism of this take, thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
goodnight thread, what a day. 🥳