Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

This is a GREAT day

For lawyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I really doubt FIFA are going to be any use in stopping this. A European Super League weakens UEFA which makes FIFA happy. I wouldn't be surprised to see it under the auspices of FIFA if it goes ahead.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Frankston posted:

Mods please rename thread to European Super League Super Thread: Dreams can't be buy <3

If anything can save football as we know it, it's comic sans

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

:nws: ?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

No-one gives a gently caress what Alexi Lalas thinks or says.

Now if Jozy Altidore has any takes on the situation, that'd be different.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Where do we think teams 13 through 15 are going to be dragged from? With Bayern, Borussia Dortmund, PSG and Porto all saying they aren't going to be involved who does that leave?

I can't see any club joining without a 'domestic' rival of some sort, so if there's no Porto surely Benfica wouldn't consider it? How about Ajax/Feyenoord/PSV? Those 3 are a bit of a push but probably more believable than Anderlecht/Club Brugge/Standard Liege ......

I'd like to think they (the 12) couldn't bribe anyone else into joining them but lol

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

cadfael posted:

Would they even be allowed to in european leagues given whats happened already? Strongest contenders for me rn are teams outside europe

Honestly I have no idea but I find it hard to believe we're this far down the road of this lovely 15+5 league idea when there isn't even a 15 to start with. Does adding in Kashima Antlers, Al-Ahly & Kaizer Chiefs (or whoever) to the dozen breakaway teams help them? I think they've got to have at least 3 other European teams ready.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Rad Russian posted:

They probably don't want to add crappy teams just to get the numbers up. They're waiting for PSG, Bayern, and Dortmund to join. And since they said no, they'll probably start the league as-is, make lots of money, and force those teams to give in. The temporary 5 team rotation will be around until they have ~20 full-time members and then they'll permanently close it like US sports. Future expansions would need to be done by buying your way in like NFL.

I'm kinda hoping for Honved, Dukla Prague & Red Star Belgrade tbh.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Fans aren't going to unite and stop this. The ingrained hatreds and rivalries are too much.

Fans will blame someone else probably not associated with their own club (Perez, Abramovic, Glazer etc) and the parochial bullshit will win.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Fans can do gently caress all. The governing bodies need to stop this.

I think I said on page 2 or 3 that this was only great for lawyers.....

If UEFA go through with their threat to kick these teams out of the CL it ends in a welter of court cases, the games get played 'under protest' and in September 2028 the Court of Arbitration for Sport lets us know that the 2020-21 Champions League was actually won by Hajduk Split.

It's sadly going to come down to who has the deepest pockets to fund the legal shenanigans.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Guarantee the talk from Perez of shorter games means they're going for four 15 minute quarters, but the broadcast stays the same length because the cut 30 minutes is now ad breaks.

I don't see that happening at least initially but I can see 'Tactical Timeouts' like in the IPL to shoehorn more ads in. poo poo is hosed if we're hoping for the owners of Chelsea & Man City to see sense.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

So, see you all in 5 years for another go?

bawfuls posted:

incredible show, what a ride, thanks for the laughs

I'll be back in 5 years for Superleague 2: this time we mean it!

Yep

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Spurs the only ESL team to fire their manager.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Lmao Woodward has resigned

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Real
Getafe
Juve
Inter
Milan
Flamengo
Fluminese
Boca
River
Nacional
Penarol
Spurs
Arsenal
Liverpool
Man Utd

It's still a goer guys!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Pourin' one out for the ESL

In heaven with Jade Goody and Prince Phillip.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

ESL?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGlN6mluGA

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

RIP to the Superleague. Didn't even last as long as England in a major tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Keep the lols coming