Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Buckhead posted:

Are teams in the Super League still planning to play in their domestic leagues, eg is this meant to just replace the Champions League? I'm confused because the news specifies the league will be a midweek league.

The Super League wants to replace Champions League. UEFA is threatening to ban participants from their domestic leagues. I can't imagine that ban actually happens because it would be absolute suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

uXs posted:

The conclusion for anybody outside the dirty dozen is obvious: this has to be stopped, and stopped now. Kick them out of the CL, out of the EL, out of their domestic league. Do everything you can to limit the number of clubs to 12. Treat this like the war it is and destroy them.

keep seeing this and it just doesn't make sense. the 12 clubs have a shitload of leverage here and are essentially holding their domestic leagues hostage. you cannot simply "kick them out" unless you have a plan to prevent the leagues from collapsing. the leagues are financially dependent on the marketing and star power of their large clubs to sell television rights, and these rights are the main sources of income for a lot of clubs that are up to their eyeballs in debt. and even if they did ban them, the 12 could still make a shitload of money playing each other and leaving behind the domestic leagues as shriveled husks of what they used to be. there is no way to "destroy them" short of everyone deciding not to watch the games, which seems incredibly unlikely. people are going to watch real madrid and arsenal play. the overwhelming evidence is that people will prefer to watch these teams play even when there is absolutely nothing at stake.

i feel like the clubs basically planned this pretty well, i do not see how they realistically lose unless maybe fan backlash is so bad that they lose their nerve. i suspect that the league's design was intended to scare uefa into negotiations, and that the final form of the league will look somewhat better than the current form. but at this point i don't really see how the super league does not actually come into existence, with the clubs getting at least 90% of their demands.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

vyelkin posted:

Also football survived for over a century without massive international TV rights income. Some clubs would absolutely face financial hardship in the short term if the PL bubble burst, whether from a super league or anything else, but ultimately the whole point of a league pyramid is that even if some clubs unsustainably overinflate their finances and collapse, other clubs can take their place at the top. Funnily enough, that is in fact the entire thing the super league is trying to avoid, because clubs like Madrid and Barcelona are terrified of going bankrupt and getting replaced.

the literal football league will not cease to exist, sure. the game will go on. that doesn't mean it'll be the same thing it used to be - definitely no longer the highest quality product in the world, especially if the breakaway league is successful. i would imagine a lot of people have absolutely no problem with that, but it still doesn't make kicking them out of the domestic leagues a simple decision by any means. i would also imagine quite a few club owners would be imploring anyone who will listen to not do it, lest they face financial extinction. even in the championship, you have teams that are spending money they don't have in an effort to reach the premier league and they will be in a pickle if the promised land disappears.

maybe if all this does occur, it would be nice if uefa/premier league/football league moved away from this model of massive windfall profits when you compete in a major competition. it just creates really terrible incentives.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 20, 2021

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Pook Good Mook posted:

Everyone knew something like this would happen though. I still honestly think that the SL was a ploy for bargaining with UEFA and the first hope was to stay in the current system. I honestly don't know if they'd have gone public without the NYT breaking the story.

i think they always intended for uefa to come to the table. the plan as framed didn't make sense - they were going to put 16 more games on top of their already packed schedule? i suppose we'll see what the details are but it might just be mission accomplished for the 12 big clubs.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Eric Cantonese posted:

https://twitter.com/kennethdalglish/status/1384593821615411203

Oh dear, FSG. Another Kenny-related headache for you.

He means "bring back Andy Carroll."