Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The goal is very clearly to build a US-style system where every involved franchise is worth billions and can only lose value by the entire league going under, individual performance has no impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Have Dortmund and Porto play a semi-final with the winner meeting PSG in the CL final, job done

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
About the only thing I can see having any real impact here is if the players go against it. Even busting the teams down the domestic tiers isn't going to bother them if they can operate the money printing machine in the meantime.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

ilmucche posted:

Just make it all home and home knockouts, random draw.

Or at least that's what the Europa league should've done instead of following the champions league bloat strategy

This already got removed because of the big clubs crying that they wouldn't get a second chance after a freak result against a bunch of Norwegians, no way would they let it back. The 'shitload of boring mismatched games' problem is a direct result of the 'give us more shots to qualify to the latter stages' requests of the larger clubs, it's incredibly loving hypocritical of them to use that as a reason the competition is bad now.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
it's not just americans with the dipshit takes, everyone settle down

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1384219019390033927

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

cadfael posted:

I dont see how this would financially save leagues/clubs, is he having a laff? https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano this guy kindly did some transcipts of that interview
he saw how "just loving lying about everything" worked for the brexit crew and decided that's a good strat these days

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Karl Sharks posted:

that sounds interesting as an american who isn't really tied to one team

i know i'm weird in general, but i'd personally take a PL, or any league, that has less talent than it might be able to if it means there's a possibility that most of the clubs in the league could win the title
This already exists and it's called the Championship

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Karl Sharks posted:

yeah and how the gently caress am i supposed to watch that?

I suspect you'll find a similar issue with any post-SL Premier League

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

FullLeatherJacket posted:

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/tenyears/

that's the current ten-year uefa coefficient ranking, pick from that list depending on your intent

you've already got six english clubs, so you'd likely want to top up spain and italy (sevilla, valencia, roma, lazio, napoli) and then ajax, porto and benfica, then it's a choice of going into ukrainian money clubs or selectively picking who you want for geographic/political reasons (rangers, celtic, copenhagen, sparta prague, etc)

It's never going to be coefficients, it's going to be whoever opens the most valuable markets or otherwise brings financial reward to the rest somehow.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Karl Sharks posted:

okay? but the person asked if anyone would want to watch the PL without them, i said i would in fact like to

how does my access to it affect what i would prefer??

they didn't mean you personally they meant in general, and the supporting argument is the option for watching such a contest already exists and is not popular, so what you think might be neat doesn't matter

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you want a "balanced" competition you need to introduce a much more equal share of revenues down the league, which you can't do because the big names will use it as an excuse to break away and form a...

Hey, wait, maybe we can do that now?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Scotlander posted:

A league with the 6 of them gone would be brilliant and I'd watch a tonne of it I imagine, not sure the rest of the world agrees with me on that stance.

Hell I'd watch it religiously out of spite

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

people from cspam got real mad when dudes said player salaries, but totally player salaries

yeah, everyone thinks this angle means greedy players but it's actually greedy owners aiming for unsustainable glory, fuelled by the teams at the top who can pump the most money in

come to think of it the end result of this being the nuking of the Big 12 and the realisation amongst owners that you actually can't grow revenues indefinitely is something that might help the game immensely, but then again the world is cursed so that's never going to happen

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Budzilla posted:

If you have a better adjective, I would use it.

They are fans. The people you are describing are spectators.

https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1384270431272652804?s=19

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Apparently the source for Perez's claim that "young people think games are too long" is the figures for people watching highlights on youtube, loving hell that's not because the games are too long it's because they're too expensive you dickhead

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
me stakeholders!!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

can't believe brexit saved football

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

The DPRK posted:

In good faith, what aspects of culture are you referring to? I can think of a couple, like the packed pubs beforehand and the walk to the ground, but I haven't been to a game for a few years now. Genuinely curious what you have to say about this.

"Culture" is probably not quite the right way to describe it but I suspect what he's getting at is the feeling that everyone in the local area has a shared experience around matchdays, that sort of thing. As it becomes more about the money than the club, that feeling of belonging to a social endeavour gets replaced by what is essentially just brand loyalty.

Vando fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 20, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also that 6 already take a bunch of the TV deal money so everyone else, even with a reduced deal, probably gets at least back to where they've historically been revenue wise. Leicester and West Ham would probably lose out the most but you can't win them all, and it probably shouldn't be disastrous.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

sassassin posted:

What does this even mean though? Is the super league banning fans? Florentino Perez says he's doing this because it's what the fans really want, after all.

The super league is about removing competition.

He's saying he agrees with the fans, also lmao Perez is lying like every politician when it comes to something that means they benefit "actually this is what you want, trust me"

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Karl Sharks posted:

yeah i think it's a bit overdramatic/silly to say the pyramid will collapse because of 6 clubs leaving, yeah things will need to be adjusted/restructured but not like all the other fans will stop caring

Ultimately, it depends on if those clubs leave and succeed elsewhere. If they do, it devalues the rest of the sport irrevocably because the demand won't be there. If they don't, it doesn't really matter because the sport is ultimately what makes the money, and the clubs are just where the appeal is most concentrated. If the Super League eats poo poo, the global audience won't give a gently caress about Liverpool, Man Utd etc because the new Ronaldos and Messis will be playing for Everton and West Ham.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Jippa posted:

I keep reading that owners/chairmen etc "didn't expect this reaction". That has to be nonsense right?

I'm sure part of it is just angling for sympathy/planting the idea in people's heads that this response is too much

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

Perez is arguing that broadcasting payouts are on the decline so I think many of these owners don't even live in reality

This is true though, the next round of contracts are predicted to be much reduced (because, you know, global economy on fire and all that stuff)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya I can understand the PL trying to be diplomatic at this point though, all things being equal they still rely on the revenue that is generated from the big teams. So they're going to leave their options open as long as they can manage before they use the nuclear option.

Bust them all down to tier 9 and make them go on a punishment lap of the lower leagues to redistribute some of that 'big name' revenue, meanwhile that gives the rest of the Prem a solid decade to establish themselves as big names in the meantime, so the power is somewhat distributed.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Pook Good Mook posted:

Arsenal somehow getting stuck in League 2 for two seasons feels right.

Given there's only 3 promotion spots it's got to happen to someone :getin:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Perez Was Right

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

sassassin posted:

Spending money is only part of the equation for success, though. Playing and coaching ability plays a huge part, and the best players can still lose to Palace on a wet Wednesday night. If all these clubs had to do was vastly outspend the competition they wouldn't need a closed shop super league, they're already doing it. There isn't a calibre of player out there that these clubs don't already have a functional monopoly on, that they would be able to reach if only they had another hundred million in the bank.

Yes, the money problem in football is really two money problems, depending on how rich you are to start with.

The first money problem is if you're a team that isn't a "big name" but are chasing the money that comes from performing at a historically big name level (or a Championship club trying to perform at a PL level, and so on down the tiers). You spend money in the hope that this investment turns into more money in future. It's a tough job, but not impossible.

The second money problem is if you're one of the big name clubs already making a shitload of money. Congratulations! You're probably even profitable! Or at least pay a decent dividend to shareholders, which is what makes you valuable. In this position, your worry is if you gently caress up on the pitch too much, some of those revenue streams take a bit of a hit and all of a sudden your profit isn't going up year on year any more, and your asset value goes down. So you come up with the bright idea to never have to worry about loving up on the pitch any more, and here we are. The Super League!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

peanut- posted:

Think it's much more that they have owners with absolutely zero appetite for actual political antagonism.

Next time round they'll make sure to get the bribes in place first before announcing

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
ladies and gentlemen: we got him

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
rename the thread "European Super League Super Dead" tia

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How does Barca have that much debt

Turns out if you just keep buying whatever the hell players you like that starts to really add up in the red column

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

can we have a breakaway gangtag that says Super League Jegacy Fan in portuguese colours?

the best part will be not just how little sense that joke makes now, but how it'll make even less sense in future, the best kind of joke

seeing a parmos tag a solid decade after the original jokes makes me do a tiny fistpump every time, godspeed

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

bawfuls posted:

Did Barcelona spend a decade buying an endless stream of about-to-be-too-old strikers while neglecting their dogshit defense/goalkeeping?

that's why it's the best comparison yes

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
https://twitter.com/mountain_stoats/status/1384641206836158464?s=19

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
They could have probably made the league happen but it would have been without any kind of safety net of using the old system to prop it up during the initial years, so that's probably what scared them off it

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
And the big clubs won't go for any standalone top tier that isn't closed off because they wouldn't be able to dominate it (so the brand is devalued) and they might get relegated (the entire club is devalued). Like, Barca and Real aren't going to trade a pretty much nailed on 2 horse race every year for a 12+ horse race where they also might get dumped out of the race entirely if they properly gently caress up.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

The UEFA Cup, it does nothing

If you're going to keep it, it would make more sense if you excluded the top ten nations or somesuch, so it's a trophy that actually means something to the teams that win it and it gives an opportunity to put money into the SPL and other leagues where the literal garbagemen literally work as garbagemen (you'd probably need some kind of revenue split where 40% or so goes to other members of that league, else you get the Rosenborg problem, but that's probably too intricate for bad internet trophy ideas)

It would probably work best as a competition for teams that don't make it through the prelims of the CL, and with the winners automatically qualifying for the next CL. It will still be biased towards the richest remaining leagues, but at least it gives a chance to break through and be exposed to a global audience.

It's not really possible to solve a lot of the problems in football without more equitable revenue sharing, and the problem is it isn't going to happen because too many of the teams taking all the money have voting rights that prevent any structural changes. Maybe a good punishment for the breakaway clubs would be losing those voting rights for x years, and in the meantime vote in a new system that prevents them reverting everything when they're allowed back.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Absolutely, although I will also continue to bang on with my thing that there's no outcome here where all clubs become inherently equal in a vacuum. There's no reason to have only just discovered that some clubs are bigger than others, that was the case in the 70s and 80s. Liverpool in their dominant period were very well funded. Brian Clough's Derby and Forest teams were very well funded, he absolutely didn't win the league by telling poo poo cloggers to pull up their socks and tuck their shirts in, and if your dad tells you that he did, you can put him in a home.

The goal should be to create something that's long-term sustainable and competitive, and that avoids wealth being sucked upwards/hyperinflation at the bottom, not "jumpers for goalposts" poo poo from people who have some childhood Brexit fantasy about how in the olden days you'd win the FA Cup from the Third Division and then decimal currency and tikka masala came along and ruined it all. That's not something that actually ever existed in anything that could reasonably be called the modern game.

The solution is spending caps, and the problem with that solution is the people with lots of money (and these people can and do change over time, but the philosophy remains the same) really don't want that because it means they can't throw money at problems if they're underperforming. If you try to patch the problem with revenue sharing, you have to either make the revenue sharing absolutely cast-iron equal or teams will just throw money at getting even a slightly bigger payout, and the problem continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I mean, they could always (heaven forbid) offer the EFL clubs some more money