Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

:d2a:

I do find it kind of funny to see the PL crying about a breakaway league for money but yeah this is a poo poo American import and it sucks for football. I guess the one possible good thing is the government looks at the German teams not joining and passes a law mandating fan ownership but we can't have nice things so it won't happen.

Fundamentally though people will still tune in. I'll probably give up my season ticket because I was half thinking of doing it anyway but It's not like I'm going to go to Leyton Orient and try not to kill myself for 90 ninutes every week instead.

Once again JC was right
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1180770316152442880?s=19

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

loving hell

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1384062591450771465?s=20

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Flayer posted:

Sounds fake. Why would you invite a Russian team into your western European league? Just constant problems with timezones.

Take the sponsors away from uefa as well as the TV companies

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Well are the World Cup bans ultimately up to each individual country or FIFA?

Yeah FIFA controls international registrations. UEFA can only ban them from the euros.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

European Super League: if it's so super why is everyone crying?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Grimson posted:

Lawyers L'equipe talked to are saying it probably violates EU competition laws to ban players from participating in a tournament because their club is participating in a rival one.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Article/Un-joueur-peut-il-vraiment-etre-prive-de-coupe-du-monde/1216307

I reckon the funniest option is everything goes to court and the whole transfer system comes crashing down. Imagine having players handing in their notice in the run up to summer

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1384180818973581313?s=19

Lol the Americans are loving loving this.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Holy poo poo lol

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I'll watch it if they implement all of Wenger's zany rule change suggestions from the last few years.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I'm pretty sure they expected this kind of back lash they just want the money more and know the plastics won't tune into the European leagues without them. Fundamentally the domestic leagues can't kick them out because that's already been ruled as anti competitive and with TV rights up for renewal they'll get hack poo poo without the famous teams. Only realistic option to stop this is fan ownership.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/PodcastPharaohs/status/1384218033023971333?s=19

Not surprised city and Chelsea are the first to roll back, super League is bad for them in that it gives other clubs the spending power they have had for years.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

peanut- posted:

Think it's much more that they have owners with absolutely zero appetite for actual political antagonism.

City is owned by a country bombing Yemen into famine so I don't think they give a poo poo about that. I think the more worrying thing is this might actually get a 50% + 1 law passed and they lose their investment when they already have a hugely dominant financial position so the gain of super League isn't as big for them.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

kecske posted:

barca and atletico next?

Barca are desperate for money. Them, real and the yank owned teams will be the last to fold.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

biglads posted:

Lmao Woodward has resigned

Lol just lol

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Ban anyone begging for a gang tag that has less than 50 posts in the forum.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Jose posted:

lol aqt the liverpool players waiting for it to die before coming out against it

100% this

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Also give the person who didn't know Portuguese existed a custom title.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/AFTVMedia/status/1384608404862349314?s=19

*Nearer my God to thee starts playing*

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

This is the funniest thing to happen in football since Gerard slipped

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So Barcelona has like no choice, right? They need the money more than they care about any backlash

Yeah it's survival for them.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Lionel Messi is a footballing autist but I'd still like to think he's smart enough not to agree to be given equity in a team that's ten figures in debt in lieu of actual wages.

A train set that goes around the camp nou however...

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

peanut- posted:

Juve merda

Finally a league we're winning

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

sassassin posted:

G Nev still bringing the fire.

Hope he starts speaking out about his employer moving games for more money even when it means ridiculous journeys for the away fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We've bullied billionaires into doing apology videos, keep going.