Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Flayer posted:

If Arsenal become a franchise that kills football for me though and that's sad

lol I've bad news for you and it didn't happen today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

jeebus bob posted:

So far, only Mourinho has been fired - ostensibly for protesting the idea. We can assume all the other coaches are okay with it until they say otherwise.

That was a fake tweet. Levy took advantage of the media furore to sack him.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

oliwan posted:

jonathan Wilson's take that the super league teams could actually join the football league and then rule over the premier league is actually quite good

loving bizarre timeline

So this is all poo poo and bollocks obviously but I'm having a hard time with all the sanctimony as if it's not actually a bunch of billionaire cunts betraying a different other bunch of billionaire cunts.

Sky and governing bodies allowed/enabled the Premier League, the Champions League, the Glazers, FSG, Abramovich, whole single ownership of clubs, the Mansours, debt and all the other poo poo that's brought football to this point. The talk as if football was great and fine and didn't have massive wealth gaps before this came along is loving tiresome.

Despite how public it all is now I'll still be amazed if by next season UEFA haven't made sufficient kissy noises and made the CL and even bigger and better cash cow and this all goes away again.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

oliwan posted:

When you think about it, the super league would be a competition where arsenal and spurs would be continually humiliated, their delusional aspirations finally stamped into the ground for good as they are forever in last place, the laughing stock of the league

It is the one thing in the "pro" column thus far

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

greazeball posted:

this is why they will have 5 whipping boy teams promoted "on merit" each year so none of the world's "legacy fans" will have to suffer the disgrace of a bottom finish

they'll dick spurs and arsenal over as well

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

Please don't start using "legacy fans" unironically.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Flayer posted:

In retrospect football that mattered ended in 2003 when Abramovich bought Chelsea. That scumbag amount of money should never have been in football.

Eh, you could argue that ball and this one are the same and began rolling with the creation of the Premiership as it was then.

As I've said in a previous post, the FA, Premier League etc were happy to stand by and let Abramovich and The Glazers etc into the sport. They danced with the devil and are now complaining the music has changed.

e:

peanut- posted:

Disagree. A rich guy splashing money is football ownership tradition. The American finance ghouls and others who just want to maximise the profit machine are who is driving this.

City and Chelsea will be the weak links in bringing this down imo. They're way more susceptible to political pressure.

Abramovich and his billions is a world away from local businessperson buys/runs local club as a labour of love.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/Wolves/status/1384437712393064451
lol :discourse:

(In 18/19 Wolves came 7th, behind the ESL 6)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Haramstufe Rot posted:

If Barca backs out the thing is dead. This would be hilarity of the highest form, surpassing this entire shebang.

But again, the clubs in this league are not there because they are good, but because they are in debt - they are the ones who win by buying players instead of developing them, and I don't think they have a plan to do anything else.

So it looks like this will continue. It's viable because big name clubs are there, and international fans care mostly about Spain and England. What do the 150 million people in Europe, who don't watch this, matter, if you get like 200 million Americans and x million Chinese fans?

English fans will watch it - they let their PL teams get sold out to oligarchs and billionaires, so you can't expect them to suddenly start caring about Football. It's really telling that half the clubs are English anyway - the country which created the game is also now killing it.

Either something happens in Spain and the thing dies, or PSG joins eventually and everything else dies.

Barca cannot afford to back out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAJVzkhGLio

Haramstufe Rot posted:

English fans will watch it - they let their PL teams get sold out to oligarchs and billionaires, so you can't expect them to suddenly start caring about Football. It's really telling that half the clubs are English anyway - the country which created the game is also now killing it.

Some fuckin broad strokes you're painting with their chief not all the fans just laid down and shrugged when the likes of the Glazers came in, there was just gently caress all we could actually do about it besides protest.

As for "English" not a single one of the ownerships bar Spurs are based in or are from England.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 20, 2021

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Haramstufe Rot posted:

no I get that it's a systemic issue, obviously. I'm still gonna be mad at England tho, in broad strokes. Unfair as that may be. Germany doesn't do that bullshit, and Bayern still makes money. Heck, they even have decent players without being 1.2 billion in debt lmao.

Oh ok so you're just here to be a prick about it and make some jibes about the English

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

quote:

The notion that a puffed up group of clubs could form a breakaway motivated by greed was abhorrent to the Premier League
:discourse:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Lol if it's because liverpooshited said "nah it'll be fine" to the two English clubs still in the CL

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Can't speak for other lovely owners but I can tell you for certain that the Glazers neither understand or give a single poo poo about the traditions of Manchester United or football in general, outside of sacking Mourinho within 3 seasons.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

AsInHowe posted:

This is the kind of stuff that these guys are gonna find in Europe, and I can't wait.

Reminder it was not that long ago that Ed "Edward Woodward" Woodward had a big cry about the bonfire song being sung at old trafford about him and the glazers

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

ESL: Exit Stage Left

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Stolen from discord

lmfao

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

hey an actual apology lol

lol mate that's white washing bullshit like gently caress is it an apology

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

I will definitely believe a site named Mundo Deportivo that makes my ad blocker go thermonuclear

When you stopped posting here did you go into cryo freeze and just come out? This is the internet now

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

another semi final for ole nice

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

Now the Guardian liveblogger is saying AC Milan is OUT

is woobi watching europa league for the guardian now nice

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

well, yeah, we knew UEFA would blink and find some bags of money behind the couch

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Weedle posted:

they should still all be relegated

I never saw us lift that trophy in my lifetime it'd be nice to have a crack at it

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

yes, "fail then rage quit"

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The various bodies that allowed the likes of the Glazers into the sport need to take measures to get them back out. Anything else just fucks over the players and fans.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Like a European Superleage is probably a viable proposition in all honesty (well except for Brexit maybe loving up things logistically). It cant however be a dumb yank franchise system with the same plastic teams and no relegation. I'd be all for something to slot in at the top of a pyramid, that your club could feisably... just maybe scrape into once in a blue moon. Ditch the Champions league while we're at it and bring back the European Cup/Cupwinners Cups.

The latter resolves the former

The Premier League and Champions League came about to create television spectacles so that football could be marketed to more fans than matchday going locals and avid watchers of MOTD on Saturdays. A full meritocracy isn't as marketable due to the inherent unpredictable nature of it, such as Forest winning the EC twice back to back. Any attempts to further monetisation requires a removal of the uncertainty or just padding air time. ESL tried the first, UEFA's new CL proposal goes with the second.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 21, 2021

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

He's right

In discord chat on this topic it was mentioned how funny it is that Sky and the Prem etc are losing their poo poo considering this started with them and similar moves in 92.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/joel-glazer-writes-open-letter-to-man-utd-supporters-april-2021
tl;dr: We'd have got away with it if not for those meddling fans, oops, our bad

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Don't link the sun

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Two good videos into the catalyst of the European Super League, the formation of the Premier League (originally named Super League):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuLWAnhMhiQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlQWxUkUPXg

Noteworthy things I'd forgot or didn't know:

ITV and then chairman Greg Dyke along with the FA started the ball rolling
Arsenal and Liverpool spearheaded the idea to the FA
Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and United the first five to sign up, the rest of the incumbents voting in favour
It was thought it'd improve the England team (lol)
Sky came in with a massive bid at the behest of then Spurs chairman Alan Sugar (whose company Amstrad supplied Sky boxes at the time)
The FA were happy with it because it hosed over the Football League
Ken Bates once applied to have an electric fence installed at Stamford Bridge to tackle hooliganism

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a0QAeqJLMM

Great from Corbyn, still mad this dumb as gently caress island didn't elect him

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Collateral posted:

Aren't most of the owners of these big 6 clubs also Jewish?

:thunk:

gently caress off

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I assume there'd be no relegation in that too then or else the Rangers/Celtic presence would be somewhat short lived

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

the escape goat posted:

my American rear end is cackling at that being "far". I know the sense of scale is definitely thrown off, but still.

Time slows down as you approach the speed of shite

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Lol at suggesting the old firm would get in the top 4

Also can't see Celtic or the fans going for an English league

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

your friend wicka posted:

Wow I love United fans??

In this we are football fans

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN_fd012dz0

A good run down of everything so far, probably worth sticking in the OP

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

There probably is some kind of penalty clause and it's either hilariously expensive and the clubs decided to eat it instead of the PR disaster or it's hilariously pittance for those involved at this stage or not iron clad (someone found a loophole) and Perez is being ridiculously petty.

I don't care which.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Dear Stan, we billed you but you still ain't payin, we wrote the account number AND the sort code at the bottom

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

FullLeatherJacket posted:

reminder that none of that involves juve, real and barca, who are still putting their fingers in their ears and pretending it will happen

lol that uefa are setting up to see how long they hold out and then arranging a public shoe beating

Real and Barca are hosed lol

Like, they've gone all in on the ESL hosed. Their finances are an embarrassment, Barca's especially, if they end up losing CL revenue as well it's a really bleak outlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

fryshocked.gif