Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Pisssssssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Honestly I hope the domestic leagues burn these teams right now.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

araeris posted:

I think the point the controlling interests of these 12 (but really 15) clubs have made is the domestic leagues would be burning down their own houses if they tried. The revenue that the domestic leagues and Champions League enjoy come overwhelmingly from fans of these teams.

What would be the asking price for the sponsorship of a London derby between West Ham and Crystal Palace? What is the overseas TV revenue going to be for your European final between Leicester City and *trip to Wikipedia* ...Roma?

It sucks, but it seems inevitable that the super rich oligarchs would eventually turn on the slightly-less rich aristocrats that pretended to be in control of the situation. This is either the endgame or all the leverage needed to cause the domestic leagues and UEFA to bend backward as far as required to maintain the illusion of status quo.

If this is the case and the big clubs have all the leverage then it seems like the leagues should just tell them to gently caress off right now because this is just the start. Rip off the bandaid.

Also lol at Arsenal and Spurs being in this

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

tbp posted:

is there really such a guaranteed market for this that these clubs just went ahead and did it? the reaction is unanimously extremely negative across the board

Has anyone polled China, India and Malaysia?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Alexeythegreat posted:

There is no course of action that wouldn't hurt non-breakaway clubs, so might as well rip off the bandaid and completely disregard whatever superleague will be doing

Ding ding

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Personally anything associated with Man United turns to poo poo so this is not a surprise.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Concerned Citizen posted:

keep seeing this and it just doesn't make sense. the 12 clubs have a shitload of leverage here and are essentially holding their domestic leagues hostage. you cannot simply "kick them out" unless you have a plan to prevent the leagues from collapsing. the leagues are financially dependent on the marketing and star power of their large clubs to sell television rights, and these rights are the main sources of income for a lot of clubs that are up to their eyeballs in debt. and even if they did ban them, the 12 could still make a shitload of money playing each other and leaving behind the domestic leagues as shriveled husks of what they used to be. there is no way to "destroy them" short of everyone deciding not to watch the games, which seems incredibly unlikely. people are going to watch real madrid and arsenal play. the overwhelming evidence is that people will prefer to watch these teams play even when there is absolutely nothing at stake.

i feel like the clubs basically planned this pretty well, i do not see how they realistically lose unless maybe fan backlash is so bad that they lose their nerve. i suspect that the league's design was intended to scare uefa into negotiations, and that the final form of the league will look somewhat better than the current form. but at this point i don't really see how the super league does not actually come into existence, with the clubs getting at least 90% of their demands.

The fan backlash is real

And no one wants to watch Arsenal play Milan for nothing on a Wednesday worknight

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Champions League absolutely needs to boot out everyone but PSG and I say this as a City guy

Leagues are a bit more complicated but they should also take a hard line. If this year shows anything, it’s that the big 6 will have troubles without regular match days, even with all that extra JP Morgan cash.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Hehehe

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Concerned Citizen posted:

the literal football league will not cease to exist, sure. the game will go on. that doesn't mean it'll be the same thing it used to be - definitely no longer the highest quality product in the world, especially if the breakaway league is successful. i would imagine a lot of people have absolutely no problem with that, but it still doesn't make kicking them out of the domestic leagues a simple decision by any means. i would imagine quite a few club owners would be imploring anyone who will listen to not do it, lest they face financial extinction. even in the championship, you have teams that are spending money they don't have in an effort to reach the premier league and they will be in a pickle if the promised land disappears. of course, i'm sure quite a few fans don't care at all if the matches no longer have the best players.

maybe if all this does occur, it would be nice if uefa/premier league/football league moved away from this model of massive windfall profits when you compete in a major competition. it just creates really terrible incentives.

And if you don’t kick them out they gently caress you over again and again and again

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Ed Woodward rn

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Quantum Shart posted:

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1384763846557147142
hope bojo forces 50+1 fan ownership (it'll never happen)

I’m the weird colored nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

African AIDS cum posted:

I keep thinking it's a greg post but its some musings from a third tier law school grad

Lol