Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

Who the gently caress are these dipshits

debate ~culture~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

will the ESL have VAR?

or will it be SUPER VAR???

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

oliwan posted:

When you think about it, the super league would be a competition where arsenal and spurs would be continually humiliated, their delusional aspirations finally stamped into the ground for good as they are forever in last place, the laughing stock of the league

this is why they will have 5 whipping boy teams promoted "on merit" each year so none of the world's "legacy fans" will have to suffer the disgrace of a bottom finish

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Budzilla posted:

I will say I have no skin in this game but I do find football interesting since it is the world's game. A lot of people would only watch the game once or twice a year at home or in a bar this is the sort 'fan' the clubs' owners are eyeing at. Most people in non-football markets have only heard of a few big name teams like the ones in the Super League and if they can plaster those names all the time for game fixtures then that is a huge win for them.

Legacy might not be the best word but it defines people who deeply care about their game and built an important part of their lives around it. Club owners only care about the money and they are using the brand name as commodity to sell to larger markets. If you have a better adjective, I would use it.

You picked a bad one because Perez or one of the other ghouls in charge of this made a distinction between the "legacy fans" of clubs that they've already bled dry but will still keep squeezing anyway and the "international fans" or "new fans" or something which are the billions of Asians and Americans who will definitely 100% all of them without hesitation sign up for yet another $30/month streaming video plan thereby saving football.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

sassassin posted:

Kick them all out. No concessions, no mercy. Domestic football will be fine without them.

Actually, since the Prem's next package of TV rights are being negotiated at the moment, domestic football will be absolutely hosed without the draw of the Fat 6 in the league. However they have no choice but to kick them out, since they won't be playing in the same competition for the same prize so it would turn the league into a joke to let them stay.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Premier League's statement after the meeting of 14 today (from the guardian's live ticker)

quote:

The Premier League, alongside The FA, met with clubs today to discuss the immediate implications of the Super League proposal. The 14 clubs at the meeting unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans for the competition.

The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those Shareholders involved to account under its rules. The League will continue to work with key stakeholders including fan groups, Government, UEFA, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA to protect the best interests of the game and call on those clubs involved in the proposed competition to cease their involvement immediately.

The Premier League would like to thank fans and all stakeholders for the support they have shown this week on this significant issue. The reaction proves just how much our open pyramid and football community means to people.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Karl Sharks posted:

yeah i think it's a bit overdramatic/silly to say the pyramid will collapse because of 6 clubs leaving, yeah things will need to be adjusted/restructured but not like all the other fans will stop caring

really? you think that PL clubs are so responsibly managed that they could take a 30% reduction (just pulling a number out of my rear end) in the TV fees after a year of no fans and a bunch of them won't go bust? loving Liverpool were hours from liquidation after only 3 years of shithead American owner group #1, I imagine it will be tough for every club left in the league if they have to deal with another shortfall. Sure there are other clubs in the pyramid to take their place but it's not OK to let a couple top-tier clubs disappear just to get shot of the Rich 6.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

military cervix posted:

There's a level between "expecting some angry fans on twitter" and "expecting to be kicked out of the current CL, having players banned from international competitions and potentially being kicked out of their home leagues." I don't think it was necessarily easy to predict that the reaction would be this strong.

lol it's the easiest loving thing ever to have predicted, they're a bunch of thick cunts or they're lying or both

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

Nothing because none of this money is real

For real though I expect somehow we as fans will be paying for it via TV subscriptions and tickets and whatnot.

:yeah:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

LMAAAOOOOOO I've changed my mind about the ESL I'd watch this every week

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bharatrocity posted:

I'm an ESL legacy fan

new gangtag when

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

phew, summer's gonna be a doozy of a window and they're gonna want steady eddie to steer the ship hahaha

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

YESSSSSS

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

4/20 loving delivers this year

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bharatrocity posted:

I'm an ESL legacy fan

it's a close call for all-time best ESL transfer, ths $zB0t on these 2 is off the charts

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Ban anyone begging for a gang tag that has less than 50 posts in the forum.

this is the superleague thread, there's no relegation here friend

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

congratulations everyone we did it

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

incredible

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

dex_sda posted:

gotta sleep on this before i make a decision. siesta time!!

cmon it's dinner time more likely

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

here's the bad news though

https://twitter.com/mjshrimper/status/1384631355573776384?s=08

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

lmfao

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Quantum Shart posted:

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1384763846557147142
hope bojo forces 50+1 fan ownership (it'll never happen)

god gently caress off john

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Carrier posted:

day 2 still lolling

Look at this non-legacy fan. Some of us have been here for 4 days mate

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Crazy that there are supporters of non-breakaway clubs who think they should be kicked out of the league but financial penalties would be a bit much.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Honestly I think having the CL without the breakaway clubs next year would give us a lot of fun matches until Bayern and PSG get drawn against West Ham and Ajax in the semis

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

your friend wicka posted:

At the very least I hope a lot more people recognize that most billionaires and business executives are actually incredibly loving stupid

this will be football's greatest service to mankind

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

trem_two posted:

Ha, that Times article says Agnelli worked on a joint statement with Ceferin saying that the Super League rumors were not true just a few hours before the announcement dropped.

What a shitheel.

lmao

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I guess the PL (or SuPL) money would be big enough to make up for the lack of European football for the Old Firm? Because there's no chance of them qualifying in a combined league, no matter how deluded their fans are.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

plastic paddies would go nuts for celtic merch, imagine an army of ginger loudmouths wearing celtic tops and celtics caps

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Xabi posted:

They will probably get off on a technicality, as usual when UEFA tries to "investigate" clubs.

yep

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1392436125420163074

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

when defending American owners it's maybe not best to remind everyone of the two American clowns who took the club within an hour of administration

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Official Super League sources... have they even actually incorporated? Do they actually have employees?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

greazeball posted:

Official Super League sources... have they even actually incorporated? Do they actually have employees?

So I'm still kind of wondering about this: does the EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE COMPANY, S.L. actually have any employees? an office? an address? or is it all just run by Perez's PA and maybe his nephew or something?

Here's what the ESL has produced officially:

A website: https://thesuperleague.com/index.html, whose favicon just looks like a big zero and that only provides a list of teams and...
A press release: https://thesuperleague.com/press.html this is basically the only other content on the website, it's the one they put out on 4/20
An Instagram page? https://www.instagram.com/europesuperleaguesofficial/ This one's probably fake like the rest but it's got that low-effort vibe that feels genuine at least. One post that says official ESL picture DO NOT STEAL and then they followed 11 of the 12 original members and some Turkish dude.
A Facebook page? gently caress that place I don't know.
They do NOT have a Twitter

https://twitter.com/ESL/status/1384146690517598209

If anyone wants to spend €5, it looks like you can just look them up in the Spanish company registry and find out their tax ID and the location of their office according to this website https://www.strongabogados.com/company-search.php

I guess they have to be registered to secure that funding from JP Morgan but then again it could have just been a bunch of gentlemen's agreements and Perez is pissing Real Madrid's money up the wall on legal fees and the rest. Whatever happens, it's going to be fun watching the house of cards collapse.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

This was the tweet that set it all off, wasn't it? I think this was the article that forced them to show their hand.

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1383768402091671568

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

There's always going to be a threat until the money gets cut off from the project. FAs need to start inserting more exclusivity clauses in their broadcasting contracts somehow, so Sky would lose the PL if they showed matches that weren't officially sanctioned by UEFA/FIFA/whatever.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Stay tuned for a big superleague announcement... https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/report-european-super-league-to-be-re-launched-today-featuring-10-teams

quote:

The European Super League is set to be relaunched today, featuring 10 of the major players from last time around.

That's the dramatic rumour according to Vozpópuli, who say that Real Madrid, Manchester City, Manchester United, Juventus, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Liverpool and Chelsea are all on board once more.

Of last year's 12 founders, north London sides Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur are notably absent.

According to the rumours, the founders have this time decided that the Super League should be an open competition. There is, of course, understandable opposition from many of European football's biggest leaders to the idea of the competition.

RMCSport claim that UEFA are planning to ban all Super League clubs from European competition should the competition go ahead, while LaLiga president Javier Tebas has reportedly claimed the three Super League clubs "lie more than Putin. They think that all national leagues must be dumb. It's an insult."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's crypto-brain for football: "The current system is corrupt, and enriches other people. We should make a new system, that enriches me us instead! This will be better for everyone."