Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Fucks sake, this is the endgame of Arsenal having American ownership. If these teams force this through and the national leagues ban them it's going to cause complete mayhem. It even throws the rest of this season into doubt...

I have to say one thing I am finding amusing is that Spurs are in this. You last won a league title in 1961 what the gently caress are you doing you clowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I guess one good side of this whole thing is that it's a kick up the arse to uefa/fifa and stupid ideas like the Champs league rework and 48 team world cups in loving Qatar. They all need to gently caress off.

If Arsenal become a franchise that kills football for me though and that's sad

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I hope Legacy Fans™ get a cool badge to wear to show their seniority. Maybe some exclusive DLC?

I hope this all goes tits up but at the same time destroys UEFA and FIFA in some way. I'm not sure how it would work out ultimately but I'd love for Arsenal to go bust if it forced out the shithead americans. I'm sure stadium maintenance could cover itself with match day revenue at least, we just wouldn't be able to spunk £350,000 a week on world class players intentionally frozen out of the first team for political reasons.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Vavy posted:

Curious as to how the consulting firms these buffoons paid $$$$ told them how this would play out optically, with close to unanimous disapproval thus far. I live amongst the international PL fan demographic they are so hungry to court, and conversations at work this morning further show nobody likes this.
They know that nobody will like this and they don't care. They are banking on fans still tuning in next season. None of the movers or shakers in this give a toss about bad press or ill feeling right now, how it plays out next season will be the determining factor.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Alexeythegreat posted:

Rumor here has it that the ESL offered a spot to Zenit and it was ignored.
No way to corroborate that, but if so, a bold move to ask in a club which (a) is controlled by UEFA's major sponsor and (b) nobody in the ESL's target markets gives or ever will give a poo poo about
Sounds fake. Why would you invite a Russian team into your western European league? Just constant problems with timezones.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

FullLeatherJacket posted:

glazers bad but also sky bad and lol forever at them openly propagandizing against someone else doing the thing that they did and killing their business model
What's so heartbreaking about this is that every side is a fucker. I guess I'll just have to enjoy the schadenfreude of some of these fuckers coming out losers while at the same time calling the winners cunts.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

FullLeatherJacket posted:

This is one of my dumb hobby-horses that no-one likes or cares about (like all of my posting), but the old European Cup format was bad then and would be worse now despite old men's nostalgia. Brian Clough won two of them essentially by battering teams from countries that don't exist any more and then beating Malmo (which I think still exists, but I'm not going there to check) in the final.

The Champions League format isn't inherently bad, it just needs to be balanced and weighted sensibly.
I think the old format was closer to being perfect than the format we have now. It would be far more exciting as a smaller more condensed tournament with tougher qualification. It's like how a 48 team world cup loses a lot of luster simply through bloat creating a huge number of ultimately pointless games and inevitably burn out.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
This is all part of PSGs masterplan. They will get their Champions League win (by default, who cares, it makes them former winners) and then go join the new superleague. Intrigue within intrigue.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Slaapaav posted:

i hope they get kicked out of domestic leagues soon
It's why Arsenal have joined, avoid a 10th place finish nice and smooth.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
In retrospect football that mattered ended in 2003 when Abramovich bought Chelsea. That scumbag amount of money should never have been in football.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

peanut- posted:

Disagree. A rich guy splashing money is football ownership tradition. The American finance ghouls and others who just want to maximise the profit machine are who is driving this.
Jack Walker and Blackburn is an example of that, Roman Abramovich is not. A local supporter having a few extra million is worlds away from a billionaire oligarch with global business ties being allowed to obliterate the culture of a club and ushered in this era where more and more clubs are owned by some global magnate or political entity. I grew up in north London in an area where everyone supported Arsenal and the club and it's culture seeped through the entire community. That culture is being slowly destroyed and eroded to create "Arsenal Franchise" who will play home games in Singapore or whatever and are designed to appeal to a nebulous customer from somewhere on the opposite side of the globe. Success will be measured purely on a spreadsheet and the local community that nurtured the club will become utterly irrelevant and will die out. This destruction of the local community happens to every club that gets swept up in the travesty of international ownership. This Superleague is just a symptom of the disease and the inevitable result of global interests being allowed to own and run football clubs and that really started in England with the purchase of Chelsea by Abramovich.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

pointsofdata posted:

what's the ESL playoff final going to be called? Super Ball?
In the American tradition of stupid and nonsensical naming it will be called the Super Frisbee. They stole our bowl so we'll have their frisbee.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

CyberPingu posted:

Fans can do gently caress all. The governing bodies need to stop this.
Exactly, fans have zero power to stop this when the global interests that own the clubs can sell the TV rights (or get injected by hedge funds) for billions upon billions of dollars. You could have nobody turning up to games and it would make commercial sense for the owners to fill the stadium with ringers and cardboard cutouts. Or just move a bunch of games abroad. Don't get caught up in thinking local supporters have any agency or are in any way to blame for this.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
That "enjoy all the dead rubbers" jibe from Squires made me think of how they'll have to have the playoffs going down to like 14th place in some kind of convoluted tortured system to make the bottom half of the table relevant. Of course this will make the whole league a dead rubber as finishing in a higher spot will become relatively meaningless.

Or maybe they are banking on Spurs vs Athletico battling for 13th place as being a major draw.

I'm guessing all the refs will be nobbled to make sure Real, Man U and Juve finish in the top 3.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Absolute mindgames. Roman Abramovich doesn't need this as he already has 10 billion dollars so he joined this with the very intention of quitting immediately to gently caress off the other clubs so he can buy his way to 10 consecutive PL titles while they all get expelled.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Which other English team is owned by Americans, Spaniards or Italians? Watford? Get them on the phone stat

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Kroenke out when

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I'm an ESL Legacy Fan and I'm proud of it

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

bawfuls posted:

sounds like an impressively dumb time to sell

presumably those punishments will be tied to the club, not the owner? So whoever buys it will be in position to demand a steep discount considering the recent damage done.

This is like the inverse of Frank McCourt, which is pretty remarkable.
Can you also leave like the other american rats fleeing their sinking ship

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What's going to happen to all of Real Madrids ESL trophies? Can they go back to CLs?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Liverpool players doing the football squad version of creating a union

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
European Super Dead League. They never played.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If this turns out to be true I love the ESL even more than I thought and I didn't think that was possible

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I'm staying inside this boat hurtling towards the edge of a giant waterfall and you can't stop me

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
In hindsight I don't think anything is going to top Perez' insane interview and claim that football is dead and would be over by 2024 or whenever

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Down to the embers, Real and Barca going to burn out together

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Why not just have a Super Small League instead? Barca vs Real Madrid every other Wednesday is the high quality football the kids are craving.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Vegetable posted:

Halve the size of all domestic leagues, play only until December. Everyone is sorted into a different European league based on league position. Then it’s European league season until May. That’s my big-money idea.
You're hired!

Edit: you're fired

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Quantum Shart posted:

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1384763846557147142
hope bojo forces 50+1 fan ownership (it'll never happen)
The gently caress is this. If you actually cared about what the fans thought you would have floated the idea first before actually joining the breakaway.

"Sorry for throwing the manager and team under the bus while I hid in a boardroom. Well, bye"

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Each team who was part of this should be automatically demoted 4 league places at the end of the season. Not qualifying for the Champions League would be a legitimate punishment but of course this will be unpopular with the decision makers because UEFA are money hungry greedy fucks themselves and that would damage the tournaments prestige.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The effort from the breakway clubs was incredibly poor. There was literally a tweet from each of the teams and a vague closed league idea and that was it. Apart from that complete car crash of an interview with Perez there was not a peep from any official channel. Like Spurs fire Mourinho and then send out their 29 year old interim coach to essentially be the spokesperson for this who is of course at best lukewarm. No website explaining the structure, no press releases from the clubs saying why it would be a good idea, nothing about supporting the teams left behind, no explanations, start date or anything tangible at all. Every soundbite was left to Perez and of course they were all utterly self destructive and stupid.

This idea clearly needed to come out fully formed with an opening fixture list and dates (even if partial), sponsors, paid for press junkets and full throated support from the clubs. Not a few tweets, confused bemused responses from the managers and players involved and silence apart from the insane ramblings of Perez. I hope the avarice and incompetence combined has poisoned this idea so thoroughly that it's put on the back burner for a very long time. Of course the avarice and incompetence displayed continuously by FIFA and UEFA will continue on sadly but it's the least worst of the two options.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Well unless it turns out that UEFA did actually bribe all the English teams to quit, nice easy win there to then act like it was all for the fans.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Gigi Galli posted:

Is there anything beyond an angry Spanish article about this? Not that I don’t believe it, but you know.
It's entirely speculation basically, haven't seen anything concrete.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Got to say, this is a great listen. And of course Bercow is right as well.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Elliptical Dick posted:

Looks like Perez is doubling down. Apparently he's maintaining that clubs can't just withdraw.

https://twitter.com/ellarguero/status/1385022001719427077?s=19
Let the catfighting begin! I'm missing ESL drama already.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Collateral posted:

Aren't most of the owners of these big 6 clubs also Jewish?

:thunk:
Too soon pal, too soon

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I think the main point is that both Rangers and Celtic would struggle considerably at first, considering the sides are roughly as strong as a midtable Championship team (at best). However with the support they have and the history they have bringing in sponsorship and commercial revenue and attracting players would be considerably easier for them over the short-to-medium term compared to your average Championship team and therefor with good leadership they would both have the potential to end up as strong top division teams. There's no getting round that there is a lot of risk on both sides though and no clean way of making sure it works - just as easily as Celtic could end challenging for a league title they could also end up struggling in League 1.

It's not worth doing unless Rangers and Celtic want to take the huge risk of being fed into the bottom of the league, which seems like a great way to embarrass the teams and potentially ruin them.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If they wanted to increase the Premiership to 22 teams and literally just stick Rangers and Celtic into the PL that way I reckon they would have to do away with the League Cup altogether to make room for the additional fixtures. Or make the the European tournaments have a less insane amount of games. Or make International games midweek fixtures or something.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What a curious game, the only winning move is not to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's hilarious that Real, Barca and Juve are still officially in this thing. Kinda awkward too.