Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

is there really such a guaranteed market for this that these clubs just went ahead and did it? the reaction is unanimously extremely negative across the board

probably, yeah. I dislike it but it is almost certainly the best financial move for all these clubs.

I read "the club" some months ago (you should too) and one of my biggest takeaways was how euro football leagues and especially the prem were really more similar to some kind of cottage or bespoke financial approach than modern big money sports operations.

the lovely thing is that's one of the things that I and a lot of people love about the sport. the NFL kind of sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
also the next step in this process is labor warfare so let's all strap in for that poo poo

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

Extremely casual Premier League follower here: does this mean the teams from each of these leagues (PL, etc.) are splintering off to form their own international league or are Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, etc. staying put and this is just another international tournament which grinds the PL season to a halt for a couple weeks each season?

its like a replacement for the champions league, except the member clubs cannot be excluded from it ever, and probably get a much bigger share of the revenue pie.

what'll be interesting is if the current corrupt powers go through with their threats and kick the member clubs out of all the other leagues and competitions as punishment for starting their own corrupt thing, thus winning, but ending football

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

blue footed boobie posted:

Watch the super league teams create a rival international tournament where they force the super league players to appear for shadow national teams and leach the money out of it.

who would try a dumbass idea like that