Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure Dortmund have said they don't want a Euro super league but if one exists they'd have no choice but to join it. The German teams are almost certainly just playing the PR game and want to be seen to be dragged into it against their will.

I'm not sure if Spurs joining or Arsenal fans being pissy about Spurs being allowed to join is funnier.

This is definitely step one in creation of the Euro-NFL imo. They want to recreate that closed shop money printing machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm sure they expected all the backlash, they just think that once they start playing games (and probably very high quality ones) the fans will forget and the TV companies will come knocking.

They're almost certainly right too.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They know the chances of fans actually not watching Liverpool v Juve and instead returning to watching village teams attempt to murder each other over a pigs bladder or whatever are not high.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'd bet a lot the staying in domestic leagues thing is a ~5 year plan while the super league gets established though.

After that it will be a move to a fully walled-off European franchise league.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Sandwolf posted:

Remember when Juve spent a dump truck of money trying to win the Champion’s League, failed embarrassingly multiple times over the course of 10 years, and then *gave up on participating in the tournament entirely*

loving clown car club

The Agnellis have always been the biggest cheerleaders for this whole idea. They've been trying to get it off the ground for years. The Americans are enthusiastic co-signatories, but it's Juve that have been the driving force behind the whole scheme and are the reason it has never gone away for long.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Flayer posted:

This is all part of PSGs masterplan. They will get their Champions League win (by default, who cares, it makes them former winners) and then go join the new superleague. Intrigue within intrigue.

I would guess this will put Bayern back in the tournament, so probably makes their chances worse.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

That guy is one of the stupidest people on the planet.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CallKieth/status/1384225592116092931?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

The ESL is a bad idea for reasons of fairness, but those people thinking its matches would be boring are crazy. They would absolutely be more entertaining than watching Slavia Prague or Zenit get thumped for the umpteenth time.

I admit that watching Arsenal get thumped for the umpteenth time instead will be more entertaining.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bape Culture posted:

We won’t know for sure that it’s bad or not until some American has photoshopped the whole event over some avengers screenshots

https://twitter.com/CokeEnjoyer/status/1384278535984930819?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Please don't start using "legacy fans" unironically.

What's the reaction been like in Italy and Spain? I assume as negative as in England?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Based on Twitter translation, I hate this guy OP.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Disagree. A rich guy splashing money is football ownership tradition. The American finance ghouls and others who just want to maximise the profit machine are who is driving this.

City and Chelsea will be the weak links in bringing this down imo. They're way more susceptible to political pressure.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

I know Barca are absolutely desperate for cash, but the temptation to be the first ones to back out and look good and leave Florentino Perez holding the bag must be strong.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Haramstufe Rot posted:

no I get that it's a systemic issue, obviously. I'm still gonna be mad at England tho, in broad strokes. Unfair as that may be. Germany doesn't do that bullshit, and Bayern still makes money. Heck, they even have decent players without being 1.2 billion in debt lmao.

Bayern are not in debt because they get rammed with hundreds of millions of euros of corporate subsidy from a range of pet companies. The moral dividing line that their massive cash injections come from the insurance industry instead of the oil industry doesn't seem that clear.

Also if this is actually, meaningfully successful they will 100% join lol.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1384464497553911808?s=20

Having a desperately populist PM might work out well for once.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Brexit Means Brexit

https://twitter.com/john_vassiliou1/status/1384470568028700674?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

These are inevitably also the ones who scream the loudest about the crowd control to get to Stratford station and how much it delays them, and then shut the gently caress up when you ask them how long they had to wait outside Upton Park station to get on the tube.)

Err the crowd control is diabolically bad though. It genuinely does often take longer to get into Stratford with its 5000 lines than it took to get onto the single platform district line at Upton Park. And when you do get into the station it’s half empty and trains are coming through and leaving a third full.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Not surprised city and Chelsea are the first to roll back, super League is bad for them in that it gives other clubs the spending power they have had for years.

Think it's much more that they have owners with absolutely zero appetite for actual political antagonism.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Somewhere Alexi Lalas, Matt Yglesias and Tim Shipman are absolutely steaming mad.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

A lot of fancy protest banners have been printed up that won't get used now. Feel for the fans.

Cancelling plane banner overflights all across the country

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dril/status/757914951868485632?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just over here enjoying some charts and graphs

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Juve merda

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Finally a league we're winning

this is Fans of Non Participating Clubs erasure

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The funniest remaining outcome must be that the super league carries on except its just the 3 Spanish teams.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's really astonishing work to take on UEFA and manage to both lose and make them look like the good guys in the process.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They've genuinely tried to redesign all of football based on some poo poo McKinsey report about how young people these days only play video games and do memes on the social networks.

Not a moment of consideration that young people might not watch football (legally) because they've put it all behind massive unaffordable pay walls of course.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The FT had a bunch of the financial rules for ESL members which were about capping all football spending at way below current levels. That would only really be possible if they were making the league fully sealed off and leaving domestic football in the medium term.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

I don't think they had a plan for the medium term after the novelty wore off and people got bored of seeing Real Madrid play Liverpool with nothing on the line. It's only a viable product in the short term, which is fine for increasing the trading value of their companies and getting investor dicks hard. That's capitalism's focus.

Disagree, I think the Americans in particular were seeing this as step one to creating the football NBA/NFL that's a much more efficient profit generating machine.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Even though I'm glad this is dead, Sky are such shameless fucks

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1384888404861587460

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hasn't there always been a thing that UEFA/FIFA have wanted this in order to say that if you're one league you can be one FA and reduce the home nations' power on various governing bodies? That might just be conspiracy bollocks though.

tbh I think Celtic & Rangers in the Premier League would be good and fun

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

imo he's spot on. These clubs are bringing in far more money than ever before. Whoever posted that link showing Liverpool's revenue over the past decade, it's risen like 2-3x over that period. The clubs have more than enough money to operate sustainably and even turn a profit for their owners at the same time, the problem is that that's not enough for them because they're addicted to overspending on a debt-fueled footballing arms race and turning ever-higher profits at the same time.

I mean cost control is the big reason they want the super league. The FT had details of the financial rules - football spending (incl wages & transfers) was to be capped at 55% of revenue which is far less than any of these teams currently spend. It's very hard to avoid the drive for massive spending in the current system.

That said the apparently completely unthinkable outcome for Real and Barca is that they just spend less and aren't as good for a while and maybe some other team wins La Liga. Which is how it's meant to work.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Someone help me with the boiler drinking Bovril?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Didn’t JP Morgan do a public apology for being involved?

I’m sure they will definitely be up for diving right back in, launching enforcement action against former members and dragging their brand through the mud over a loan that’s the size of the company’s annual paper clip budget.